Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2024 6:02:04 PM EDT
Wife and 5 kids may be moving to the eastside of Atlanta.  Job is based out of Tucker.  Which eastside suburb has a good school system, low crime, sub 500k homes, conservative, and commute isn't going to make me lose my mind?  Any help is appreciated!

One last thing, is there an area with above criteria that housing isn't in a subdivision?  It's not a deal breaker but looking at Zillow I can't find anything with a decent size pole barn.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:40:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Springer1911Fan] [#1]
Far North Gwinnett, Forsyth, or Hall counties are probably your best bet. I would want to avoid Dekalb, Fulton, Rockdale, most of Gwinnett.  Anything with a substantial lot to accommodate a pole barn will probably exceed your budget, unless you get super lucky. I’m in North Gwinnett, just south of Lake Lanier, my 1900sqft home on a .25 acre has tripled in value over the last 6-8yrs. Schools are good, crime is low in my area of Gwinnett, traffic is terrible everywhere.  If I could afford it, I’d move an hour or so North/North East of where I am at. Good luck, everything within 1-1.5hrs  in any direction of ATL is becoming affluent, therefore not as conservative, minus a few well off pockets. Hopefully the other guys and gals in the hometown will chime in with their knowledge, I’m only somewhat knowledgeable with the North East area above 285. Been in the area for 30 or so years.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck OP. Does you job end if you don’t move? What industry are you in?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 1:16:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Springer1911Fan:
Far North Gwinnett, Forsyth, or Hall counties are probably your best bet. I would want to avoid Dekalb, Fulton, Rockdale, most of Gwinnett.  Anything with a substantial lot to accommodate a pole barn will probably exceed your budget, unless you get super lucky. I'm in North Gwinnett, just south of Lake Lanier, my 1900sqft home on a .25 acre has tripled in value over the last 6-8yrs. Schools are good, crime is low in my area of Gwinnett, traffic is terrible everywhere.  If I could afford it, I'd move an hour or so North/North East of where I am at. Good luck, everything within 1-1.5hrs  in any direction of ATL is becoming affluent, therefore not as conservative, minus a few well off pockets. Hopefully the other guys and gals in the hometown will chime in with their knowledge, I'm only somewhat knowledgeable with the North East area above 285. Been in the area for 30 or so years.
View Quote
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Walton County.  Monroe and Loganville.  Traffic on Hwy 78 will be manageable depending on when you travel.  Might find slightly larger lots.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 2:12:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emu] [#5]
Walton County is probably your best bet, more towards Monroe than Loganville, if you seek normalcy and a rural-ish lifestyle. My son lives in Loganville and they plan to relocate before their daughter becomes school aged. I do not know the school situation other than that tidbit.

If you are willing to sacrifice drive time, in exchange for very good schools, very good neighbors, and the ability to own acreage, consider Morgan County. However, the commute to Tucker would be a bit on the extreme side, depending on where in the county you are located. The Rutledge area would be closer for you than the Madison area. It all just depends on how much you value a good school system and how badly you want to escape the rat race!!!

Oh, and Morgan County is also home to the Georgia Hometown Forum’s shooting range, the Angry Emu Range. Check the stickied thread above, for info and pics on it.  {shameless plug}

Best of luck in your search for the perfect spot for you and your family!
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Either way, the commute is going to suck.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:28:22 AM EDT
[#7]
OP posted in his GD thread that he decided to turn down the offer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By southerncross:

I know I wouldn't leave Utah for a job in Atlanta.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Extorris:

Same here.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Blactuno is talking about relocating back to the Athens area from Utah.
So weird things can happen.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Suppo:

Same here.
View Quote

Same and I don’t like cold and snow. I’m not so sure I wouldn’t swap with the OP’s location. Especially considering the work location of Tucker.

I’m in the job market now yet I’m sensitive about an ungodly commute as it’s not sustainable in this area.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:24:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Same here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Extorris:

Same here.

+1
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top