Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Tacked Places to shoot in Ohio (Page 5 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/25/2008 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I am visting some friends near Toldeo and I am wondering if there are any ranges near by that I can shoot my AR at?
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Mapleton gun club... State route 44 North of Waynesburg.  100 yard range  unsupervised only 4 (nice) benches right now more planned. 20 bucks a year. Only problem is they shoot trap a lot on Sundays mostly during 3 season's.
Link Posted: 1/31/2008 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been in the Toledo area for the past few years, and have tried several places. I'm looking to join a club, as the $$$ spent on hourly lanes would have easily paid for my membership.

I've fired at Cleland's Outdoor World, in Swanton out on Rt 2 near the airport. It was always clean and well lit, my personal favorite about 10 years ago. It's indoor, 25yd pistol (and rimfire?) with 4-5 lanes. Apparently they have replaced the backstop within the past few years, and they no longer allow anything equal to or greater than a .44. They have turned into range nazis since a range user chose to commit suicide there. While that is understandable, the slightest double tap brings the counter jockeys running, and new range users must qualify in the presence of an employee before being allowed to shoot unsupervised. I would use it for quick test fires, but that's about it.

www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040810/NEWS03/408100349/-1/NEWS

My favorite in the area is The Bullet Stop, a hole in the wall clear out by Davis-Besse on Rt. 2. You have to map it or you will never find it. Indoor, 6(?) lanes in a converted barn, 25yd pistol. It's dirty, some of the equipment doesn't work, but it's cheap, the people are great, and as long as you don't break anything I've never had a problem. If you catch the owner, he has two silenced FA uzis for rent, $25 for 50 rds. They are so cool that when I wanted a demo of the effectiveness of a 9mm silencer, he opened the door and fired it outside so I could hear the difference. Pet the dog for me.

Of course when I'm in Youngstown visiting the folks, I have a secret spot just over the PA line where I can shoot non paper targets.
Link Posted: 1/31/2008 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope someone will know of a place to shot 50bmg near Cincinnati.I have been going to Knob Creek by Louisville,that place is fun just a little far.
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#5]
http://eriecountycl.com

Come and visit...

The Erie County Conservation League is located at 815 Mason Road, east of Route 250 in Erie County, Ohio.

Mapquest us at 815 Mason Road Sandusky Ohio 44870

Our new facilities include trap and skeet ranges; an archery range and elevated archery stand; 25 yard pistol range; and 50, 100, 200, and 300 yard rifle ranges.

Note...we are having a Gun show in Feb 2008

Gun show at the Erie County Conservation League on Feb 23.
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Relatively new to the Dayton area and go to Vandalia Range and Armory for handgun shooting but don't know if they currently allow my WASR-10 - anyone know?

I went to Spring Valley for my CCW range time and frankly don't recall the rifle ranges - DNR website doesn't give a lot of info and I assume AKs are allowed but wonder a) if anyone has shot one there and b) what yardage the rifle range(s) are?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Check us out at www.ohio1000yd.com

We hold IBS 600 and 1000 yard matches March through September. Tactical/sniper/hunter matches shooting at steel targets from 100 yards to ONE-mile.

Thanks,
Tom Sarver
All my contact ifo is there.

We also offer training in longrange precision shooting and reloading
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Spring Valley is 25-yd. (rimfire only for rifles unless you're firing 3 shots to sight in a new rifle/scope), 50-yd., 100-yd.  I've seen every sort of rifle/caliber.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Toledo ,area sucks for centerfire rifle, you basically have to shoot on private land if someone will let you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By Coonhound:
I appologize if i missed it somewhere in this thread, but the range at Spring Valley off 42 south of Xenia is a nice ODNR range.

I've watched it come a long way in the last 10 years. I remember when it was just a dirt backstop and you could shoot clay pidgeons laying on the ground. Now the firing line is covered, there's nice shooting benches, and there's target posts with wire strung between them to hang targets.

It has my vote for a local, close to home outdoor rifle friendly range.

I go to Lauhorners in Springfield to shoot pistols indoors.

I retract my above nice statements about Spring Valley.

Anyone else had any run-ins with the old man who is the range safety officer? He's been there every time i've been there.

It doesn't matter what i'm shooting that day...be it blackpowder, my AR, helping a friend zero a .22 with a scope...he has to say something shitty. It's not like i'm dangerous, breaking the rules, or doing anything the other shooters aren't doing. I'm literally there to shoot, enjoy my weapons, and GTFO. I'm on active duty in the OHARNG for cripes sake. I've been on a few ranges and know a bit about range safety.

I won't be shooting at Spring Valley anymore, simply because this guy ruins my day every single time i go there.

Link Posted: 4/2/2008 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Crichton26, Driftwood419.....I live in lucas county but I shoot here.  

http://www.smisclub.org/  

Just over the line in Temperance.  They have an indoor range (50 ft.Handgun or .22) and outdoor handgun/rifle 50 yard range.  A 100 yard rifle range.  Its kinda nice and everybody is really friendly.  Theres a waiting list but it's over before you know it.  They have highpower matches every other sat. or something like that.  People shoot all kinds of diffrent things there.  Not just bolt guns.  

Crichton26.....  I love Clelands I live near there and only in the last three years I got into guns.  When I lived in an aparment that was the only place I could shoot.  Never had a bad experience there.  Very friendly place(my experience).  But.....handguns and .22 only.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#12]

I appologize if i missed it somewhere in this thread, but the range at Spring Valley off 42 south of Xenia is a nice ODNR range.

I've watched it come a long way in the last 10 years. I remember when it was just a dirt backstop and you could shoot clay pidgeons laying on the ground. Now the firing line is covered, there's nice shooting benches, and there's target posts with wire strung between them to hang targets.

Anyone else had any run-ins with the old man who is the range safety officer? He's been there every time i've been there.

It doesn't matter what i'm shooting that day...be it blackpowder, my AR, helping a friend zero a .22 with a scope...he has to say something shitty. It's not like i'm dangerous, breaking the rules, or doing anything the other shooters aren't doing. I'm literally there to shoot, enjoy my weapons, and GTFO. I'm on active duty in the OHARNG for cripes sake. I've been on a few ranges and know a bit about range safety.

I won't be shooting at Spring Valley anymore, simply because this guy ruins my day every single time i go there.

See if they have an email address and shoot of a letter. Tell them what your experence was. You never know, it might help.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 6:34:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Long Rifle range with day permits.  Right now, I shoot at the Delaware St Park Range.  That is ok, but I'm looking for a place to shoot longer range.  I would like to shoot up to 1000 yards with my 300 WSM.  I'm in central OH, but I'm willing to drive a ways.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#14]
hiopeople you will ever meet. And the place is always clean and well taken care of. They have a web site just google Vandalia range & armory. Thanks you guys----enjoy
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#15]
height=8
Originally Posted By MEDIC-0372:

Come and visit...

The Erie County Conservation League is located at 815 Mason Road, east of Route 250 in Erie County, Ohio.

Our new facilities include trap and skeet ranges; an archery range and elevated archery stand; 25 yard pistol range; and 50, 100, 200, and 300 yard rifle ranges.

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO CONTACT SOMEONE FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS FOR A MEMBERSHIP AND KEEP GETTING RUN IN CIRCLES.  IF ANYONE WOULD GIVE ME A HAND GETTING IN IT WOULD BE GREAT.  LIVE IN BERLIN HIEGHTS...BRENT
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Melvern will have a 1000 yard range next year, they have upto a 600 right now.
45 Minutes South of Akron, Alience Gun Club on the net.
Many events weekly, Nice Club to Shoot.
Check it out.
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 10:04:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jimguy100] [#17]
looking to shoot in youngstown/akron/salem area tomorrow, any open events/ open ranges?    

didnt mean to hijack = posting new thread
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 9:09:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MEDIC-0372] [#18]

Originally Posted By MUZZLDR03:

Originally Posted By MEDIC-0372:

Come and visit...

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO CONTACT SOMEONE FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS FOR A MEMBERSHIP AND KEEP GETTING RUN IN CIRCLES.  IF ANYONE WOULD GIVE ME A HAND GETTING IN IT WOULD BE GREAT.  LIVE IN BERLIN HIEGHTS...BRENT

Brent, did you get my return e-mail.  

We are having an open house...  http://eriecountycl.com/pdf_files/OpenHouse2008.pdf

Sunday July 27, 2008
815 Mason Road Milan, Ohio
Time: 11 a.m.- 4 p.m.

We are having some good membership deals.

Come on out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Any more info how to get into shooting and camping at Ohio Power?
I have heard alot about it, but who do you contact with a current utility bill and such.
Thanks all,
JS
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Does anyone know of a place to shoot withing driving distace of Ashtabula?  We can use the local PD range for handguns and carbines, but I'd like to find a 600-1000yd range that's reasonable close.  I'm willing to venture into PA if necessary.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 8:40:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hkusp] [#21]
I'm going to try Woodbury next weekend. Hopefully this is the correct location.

Woodbury Range

Link Posted: 9/14/2008 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Strouds Run State Park

ODNR class C/O range.  Basically a hill to shoot towards.  Pistol range, rifle range, clay range.  Not much static from anyone.  Only downside is the idiot college students, local stupids and 2A club that go there occasionally.
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I recently heard that Millers Gun Club is once again open? I was hoping someone hear would know for sure.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:56:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Spring Valley was the first place i ever went shooting.. my grandfather took me there to shoot a .22 he had. that was about 1968-69. I went there alot in the late 1970's when i was in high school after i left friends told me the state cleaned it up in the 1980"s.there was some bad stuff happening out there. a friend got robbed at gun point during a target check once , and my dad told me of some other ruckess that happend out there. i think thats why the state stepped in and cleaned it up.
last time i shot there was about 1990. it looked nice then and the range officer was a nice guy and would talk guns with you... man its a shame..it sounds like a you gota jump hoops to shoot there now

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By glck32:
I shoot a Tusco Rifle Range just east of New Philadelphia. At last count we were around 900 members.Check out the pics. on their website.

www.geocities.com/tuscorp/

Hmmm, I didn't even know there was one out there. Is that out by the stock car track? I moved from Cleveland here about five years ago when I retired. I shoot at Zoar Rd. gun club on Dover-Zoar Rd. just south of Froman Hill. I live on SR800 at the bottom of the hill. $50 your first year, $25 after that. Great bunch of guys. 25yd pistol, 50 + 100 yd rifle, trap ranges. Nice clubhouse, got applications for anyone interested.

Link Posted: 11/26/2008 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:
Does anyone know of a place to shoot withing driving distace of Ashtabula?  We can use the local PD range for handguns and carbines, but I'd like to find a 600-1000yd range that's reasonable close.  I'm willing to venture into PA if necessary.

http://www.crooked-creek.org/
Link Posted: 12/30/2008 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Pickaway County Sportsmen, Incorporated

They have some pretty nice pistol and rifle ranges. They also host a wide variety of shooting competitions.
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#28]
need a good outdoor and indoor private range in the cincinnati area. i want to be able to shoot rifle/pistol/shotgun. been to target world and not too impressed.

i was told about the butler county sportsmen range but i am unable to get ahold of them.
also told about fairfield sportsmen but then told they are out of buisness.

any help would be great. thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 8:15:29 AM EDT
[#29]
I lived in Athens years ago and I would shoot often at the range at Strouds Run State Park. It's about 5 miles outside Athens.
Link Posted: 1/31/2009 1:24:28 AM EDT
[#30]
does anyone know if you can pick up leftover brass at grandriver. its not like its a private shooting range and many people just leave the brass anyway.  Does the state scrap it?
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 1:28:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KELBEAST] [#31]
Originally Posted By BigArn:
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:

http://www.crooked-creek.org/

Thanks but no thanks. I'm not interested in paying 250 to apply to be a member, then 50 bucks each year after that. And I'm not interested in having somebody breathing down my neck telling me I'm pulling the trigger too fast. I'm looking for a gravel pit, open lot, wooded area, strip mine, etc outside city limits, that's it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 12:50:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: oldskool] [#32]
I hope I missed it in the thread, but I am looking for places in greater Columbus area (not 50 miles away) that allow rifles and shotguns. 100 yards + would be a nice bonus. I am visiting some friends, want to bring my guns, but I need to find a place to shoot first.

Edit:
The Powder Room is pistol only. Rifles can be .22LR or handgun ammo only. No magnums.

New Albany Shooting Range:  Indoor Pistol (50 ft), Indoor Rifle (75 ft). They do allow shotguns and rifles.

I know nothing about Black Wing in Delaware but I may give them a try.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 12:40:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MadSciontist] [#33]
Big Darby Creek Shooting Range. West Jefferson, just outside the west side of Columbus.

http://www.bigdarbycreeksr.com/

BTW, 300 yard rifle range.
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By oldskool:
I hope I missed it in the thread, but I am looking for places in greater Columbus area (not 50 miles away) that allow rifles and shotguns. 100 yards + would be a nice bonus. I am visiting some friends, want to bring my guns, but I need to find a place to shoot first.

Edit:
The Powder Room is pistol only. Rifles can be .22LR or handgun ammo only. No magnums.

New Albany Shooting Range:  Indoor Pistol (50 ft), Indoor Rifle (75 ft). They do allow shotguns and rifles.

I know nothing about Black Wing in Delaware but I may give them a try.

I've been there three times. Would easily recommend this place. Staff is friendly and the facility feels very modern and clean. Most of the patrons are really friendly too.
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 6:37:29 AM EDT
[#35]
There is a small range in West Jefferson called Big Darby Creek Shooting Range. Its small only about 10-12 stalls. It's outside. You can pick the distance from 25-50-100 on one side and 300 on the other side. You have to prove your skill to be on the 300 side. But they let you shoot just about anything there, as fast as you want, as much as you want. We go there to shoot our S&w .380, Our .38 Special Charter arms, Our WASR-10 AK47 clone, our Mosin Nagant m44, our friends 12 gauge, Ar15 and many more.

Its Cheap as hell too.

Only $12 for the 1st hour and $8 for any subsequent hour.

Memberships Available.

They have all the equipment up there for sale.

The owner Pete is very nice and very friendly.

Here's the link to there website.

http://www.bigdarbycreeksr.com/

Hope to see ya there.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Anyone have any recent experience at the Canton McKinley Rifle and Pistol Club?

They mention high power rifles, but nothing about black rifles.

Thanks,
Texan
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ccw4202:
need a good outdoor and indoor private range in the cincinnati area. i want to be able to shoot rifle/pistol/shotgun. been to target world and not too impressed.

i was told about the butler county sportsmen range but i am unable to get ahold of them.

Just got back from the ODNR range at Spring Valley just north of Waynesville.    Depending on where you are in Cincinnati no more than 45 minute drive.    Very nice setup.   25, 50, and 100 ranges separated by a berm.   Covered shooting positions and they provide target holders (you provide the paper targets).    Closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.    $5 daily pass you can get anywhere you get a hunting license, or $24 annual (which runs March 1 to Feb 28 no pro-rating so get it now).     Supervised range but very low key - call your own cease-fires, etc..     No rapid fire though for those looking to shoot full auto.

Click here for their website
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 11:35:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By justgeorge:

Just got back from the ODNR range at Spring Valley just north of Waynesville.    Depending on where you are in Cincinnati no more than 45 minute drive.    Very nice setup.   25, 50, and 100 ranges separated by a berm.   Covered shooting positions and they provide target holders (you provide the paper targets).    Closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.    $5 daily pass you can get anywhere you get a hunting license, or $24 annual (which runs March 1 to Feb 28 no pro-rating so get it now).     Supervised range but very low key - call your own cease-fires, etc..     No rapid fire though for those looking to shoot full auto.

Click here for their website

springvalley is pretty nice, i bought a 1yr permit for $25. it's pretty big place for just one range officer though, so you have to make sure folks pay attention to the rules, especially on cease fire (staying behind the line, etc.), especially some of the newbie folks.  also beware that they really close at about 4:30PM, and not at 5PM as posted...  
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#39]

Fairfield is not closed, just limited to 100yds for rifle, and they only shoot rifle on Wednesday and Sunday. Just a heads up though, you have to shoot through slots and from the bench at the rifle range. This is because some ass ruined it for everyone and overshot the range, with rounds landing in a park being built across the Great Miami. Other than that they have decent pistol, plinking, trap, and skeet facilities.

Another decent option would be Middletown Sportsmens Club. They have a 200yd range with 75yd and 100yd also available for rifle. They're open everyday until 5pm except for Mondays.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By doc375:
I recently heard that Millers Gun Club is once again open? I was hoping someone hear would know for sure.

They are NOT reopened.   I talked to them last week and he said he had to make improvements to the mound.
Link Posted: 4/3/2009 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Downtown Cleveland Indoor Pistol, members only. Cleveland Grays Armory and Museum 216-621-5938 $70/year
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Toledo area guys, I just joined Adams Conservation Club today. It's on King Road, between Hill and Angola.

I spoke with the Treasurer and a few Chairmen before I signed, and they are Black Rifle friendly. Only stipulation is only 8 rounds allowed in the mag at a time, and no "machine gunning".

They have 50, 100, and 200 yard rifle ranges. I saw 2 pistol ranges, and they have an indoor range. I don't know the details of the indoor, just noticed a few old timers in there with some .22's.

I did notice a nice trap area out in the back. I didn't get any info on it, as I rarely do that.

I'll edit my post as I learn more. I plan to stop out there sometime next week before work.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By pepsi:
Toledo area guys, I just joined Adams Conservation Club today. It's on King Road, between Hill and Angola.

I spoke with the Treasurer and a few Chairmen before I signed, and they are Black Rifle friendly. Only stipulation is only 8 rounds allowed in the mag at a time, and no "machine gunning".

They have 50, 100, and 200 yard rifle ranges. I saw 2 pistol ranges, and they have an indoor range. I don't know the details of the indoor, just noticed a few old timers in there with some .22's.

I did notice a nice trap area out in the back. I didn't get any info on it, as I rarely do that.

I'll edit my post as I learn more. I plan to stop out there sometime next week before work.

first post. hill and angola is down the street from me!

I'm in sylvania township near toledo looking for a shooting range. all i'm aware of is Cleland's. there is another place out in the country past sylvania called toledo trap and skeet but as far as I can tell it's gone private.
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#44]
I NEED HELP PLEASE GENTS!

I have lived in Ohio for over a year now and STILL noone can tell me any good outdoor ranges in the Cleveland area.

Can anyone help me out? Either post on here or PM me please! I am a weekly shooter and I would like a regular place to go that is not B&T (only because its by the hour)
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Top Gun Range/Great Lakes Outdoor Supply of Middlefield in Geauga county is a great little range. They currently only have a 100 yard pistol/rifle range with 3 concrete benches and room for ~6 other shooters, but are working on opening up a 400 yard range immediately next to it (divided by a berm of course).

Cost: $10 for as long as you want to shoot
Hours: Saturday 9 or 10am to 3pm

So, the hours kinda suck, but the cost is great and the range is pretty good quality.

I was just out there today to sight in a new AR and the lone range officer, as well as the only other shooter there were big help. I give them a lot of credit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Does anyone know a good public outdoor range in the greater Cleveland area?

I have been going to A&A for a while, but to be honest with you it is kind of a dump and the owner is less than friendly.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Consolidated list of ODNR shooting ranges maintained by fiver

http://sites.google.com/site/consolidatedodnrlist/

PM me with updates, etc, or post it in the other thread.

Link Posted: 8/25/2009 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#48]
I just recently moved to the Shelby County Ohio area and was wondering where the closest shooting range for me to go is? I'm looking to shoot a Sig P226, no need for all the other bells and whistles :)  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 3:29:58 AM EDT
[#49]
+ 1 on the Range in West Jeff. Been there a couple times. Only place really in my area (Madison County)
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 11:13:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ParaGrunt] [#50]
I just recently moved to the Shelby County Ohio area and was wondering where the closest shooting range for me to go is? I'm looking to shoot a Sig P226, no need for all the other bells and whistles :) Thanks for the help.

You might want to take a look at Piqua Fish & Game. They are located on Spiker Rd off SR 185. I tried emailing them got no reply so I went in person. $65 a year....Trap/Skeet, Cowboy Action Shooting, Rifle & Pistol Range (175yds?), Archery. I joined yesterday and will attend the range orientation on the 26th. Nice clubhouse there also.  

Tom Fuller
Greenville, OH
Page / 9
Tacked Places to shoot in Ohio (Page 5 of 9)
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top