Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2023 4:40:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EvilApplesauce]
I have a job offer to work in Oahu for a year.

They offered to cover my housing cost. Provide me $65 a day for food and other expenses. Pay for moving expenses.

They will provide me a company truck.

Is there anything to worry about as far as crime goes?
I will have my family with me. 1.5 year olds and younger kids.

I will be working 10hrs a day 4to5 days a week.

Are there anything out of the ordinary that needs to be accounted for before making the decision to live there for a year to a year and a half?

We spend most of our time at home, no bars or clubs, just family dinners out every now and then and park visits with the family. I road bike a lot, I mtb as well. But more of road gravel.

I don’t know where in Oahu where the job is located yet.

I’m currently living in Phoenix, AZ.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:36:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brundoggie] [#1]
Crime is location dependent.  If you can give some clue as to your profession I can probably guess where you might live.

In general, crime is very low on Oahu except for property crimes like theft.  You can feel safe at all popular beaches (avoid the Waianae side) and while visiting various attractions and restaurants.

ETA: Cost of living is very high here, we are still paying over $5/gal for gas, milk and cereal prices will make you choke.

I'm not sure I would move here for a year and a half if I had school aged kids, sometimes they have a real hard time fitting in with the local kids in school.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Rent and housing is the most expensive thing here so it's good you don't have to worry about it.  Other things and taxes are still a lot more expensive though.

Crime is up, but still much safer than other major cities.  Greatest threat is the homeless, stay away from them and you'll be fine.

Some people are still racist against Caucasian mainlanders here.  Usually in the remote areas.  But if you're humble, try to fit in, and don't make waves you'll be fine even in those areas.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:52:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Rent and housing is the most expensive thing here so it's good you don't have to worry about it.  Other things and taxes are still a lot more expensive though.

Crime is up, but still much safer than other major cities.  Greatest threat is the homeless, stay away from them and you'll be fine.

Some people are still racist against Caucasian mainlanders here.  Usually in the remote areas.  But if you're humble, try to fit in, and don't make waves you'll be fine even in those areas.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:
Crime is location dependent.  If you can give some clue as to your profession I can probably guess where you might live.

In general, crime is very low on Oahu except for property crimes like theft.  You can feel safe at all popular beaches (avoid the Waianae side) and while visiting various attractions and restaurants.

ETA: Cost of living is very high here, we are still paying over $5/gal for gas, milk and cereal prices will make you choke.

I'm not sure I would move here for a year and a half if I had school aged kids, sometimes they have a real hard time fitting in with the local kids in school.
View Quote

It is a solar project somewhere on the island. Idk where yet.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I have visited Hawaii a ton ( not the same as input from a resident of course) and would agree with most of what has been covered

If you were a young single guy I would say go ahead ( get a storage unit for your guns, as it probably isn’t worth the hassle to bring them- much like NY after bruen HI has been generating all sorts of new confusing firearms ownership regulations in an effort to circumvent the court decision and it is a mess )

With small kids it would be much more difficult. Like any other place good and bad parts of town

Traffic is as bad as you can possibly imagine.

The Honolulu city proper and high end Waikiki area are hell to drive in, while the rest of the island ( I recently stayed on north shore for a couple weeks) is not nearly as bad.

Cost of living is a big challenge.

My last trip however, it appeared gas was about 50-75 cents a gallon more than Arizona and a fair number of consumer goods were not really that much higher ( there seemed to be a much bigger disparity in the past)

When my wife and I landed, we hit the Costco that is only a couple miles from the airport, and prices were pretty similar and in some cases identical to those I saw at Costco on the mainland.

Being retired military I also drove over the the USMC base commissary to stock up on food for the time we stayed, and prices were not horrible there.

From what I could tell ( we didn’t get fancy on eats, mostly buying plates off food trucks and such) restaurants were only marginally more costly than AZ
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#6]
With regards to:
Iget a storage unit for your guns, as it probably isn’t worth the hassle to bring them- much like NY after bruen HI has been generating all sorts of new confusing firearms ownership regulations in an effort to circumvent the court decision and it is a mess )
View Quote

I agree with not bringing your firearms due to the hassle to register them plus lack of places to shoot.  As far as Bruen, it hasn't really changed ownership laws but has been giving the counties fits with how to set up concealed carry permits.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 7:03:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZippZ] [#7]
I disagree with not bringing your guns.  You can lose your proficiency with them if you don't practice, whether it's live or dry fire.  Everyone using a firearm for self defense should be live firing at least every other month.
Bring your guns over requires registration at the police department and paying a fee.  Takes about an hour or so.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ZippZ:
I disagree with not bringing your guns.  You can lose your proficiency with them if you don't practice, whether it's live or dry fire.  Everyone using a firearm for self defense should be live firing at least every other month.
Bring your guns over requires registration at the police department and paying a fee.  Takes about an hour or so.
View Quote

OK, maybe bring one or two guns.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I had a rough plan to buy a new handgun and take one 16” AR.

Buy ammo there and practice when I can.

Are lvl 4 plates or any kind of body armor legal there?
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 5:55:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EvilApplesauce] [#10]
Originally Posted By captain127:
I have visited Hawaii a ton ( not the same as input from a resident of course) and would agree with most of what has been covered

If you were a young single guy I would say go ahead ( get a storage unit for your guns, as it probably isn’t worth the hassle to bring them- much like NY after bruen HI has been generating all sorts of new confusing firearms ownership regulations in an effort to circumvent the court decision and it is a mess )

With small kids it would be much more difficult. Like any other place good and bad parts of town

Traffic is as bad as you can possibly imagine.

The Honolulu city proper and high end Waikiki area are hell to drive in, while the rest of the island ( I recently stayed on north shore for a couple weeks) is not nearly as bad.

Cost of living is a big challenge.

My last trip however, it appeared gas was about 50-75 cents a gallon more than Arizona and a fair number of consumer goods were not really that much higher ( there seemed to be a much bigger disparity in the past)

When my wife and I landed, we hit the Costco that is only a couple miles from the airport, and prices were pretty similar and in some cases identical to those I saw at Costco on the mainland.

Being retired military I also drove over the the USMC base commissary to stock up on food for the time we stayed, and prices were not horrible there.

From what I could tell ( we didn’t get fancy on eats, mostly buying plates off food trucks and such) restaurants were only marginally more costly than AZ
View Quote

I’m not to worried about gas prices as I will be provided a company truck.

As long as food is pretty comparable to the mainland I don’t mind since we cook most of the food at home. We also go to Costco so it is good to know we have that available at same prices.

Im use to traffic from Houston to Phoenix and some of Dallas area. So unless it’s worse than those area i don’t really mind the traffic.

ETA:

I accepted the position and will be flying out on in 3 weeks.

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By EvilApplesauce:

Are lvl 4 plates or any kind of body armor legal there?
View Quote

Yes

Also pistol mags have to be 10.rounds or less.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Yes

Also pistol mags have to be 10.rounds or less.
View Quote

I plan on bringing my pvs14 and 16” upper. Thinking about picking up a KAC 14.5 and getting it pinned before I go.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Everything is prepared, I have a house in place, it’s in Kahului. It’s a good size home.

I’ll fly out the 3rd.
Taking some pistols and two rifles.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 12:49:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brundoggie] [#14]
Everything is prepared, I have a house in place, it’s in Kahului. It’s a good size home.

I’ll fly out the 3rd.
Taking some pistols and two rifles.
View Quote

Maui is a bit different from Oahu and probably better for your situation.  They have a really good gun range on the south side toward Lahaina with an active USPSA group.

I do an overnighter on Maui once a month on my way to Kahoolawe for work.

Lots of stuff isn't allowed here including SBR's, suppressors, and "assault pistols".  Don't bring anything weird or you might have hassles when you register your firearms upon arrival.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Maui is a bit different from Oahu and probably better for your situation.  They have a really good gun range on the south side toward Lahaina with an active USPSA group.

Lots of stuff isn't allowed here including SBR's, suppressors, and "assault pistols".  Don't bring anything weird or you might have hassles when you register your firearms upon arrival.
View Quote

I’ll have two pin and welded 16” rifles, and a spare 16” upper and I bought 10rd mags for all my pistols and will store the standard mags here on the mainland.

Link Posted: 7/29/2023 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Fun with the fam. Staying in Kahului.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 1:11:00 AM EDT
[#17]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/268968/IMG_3807-2901991.jpg

View Quote

You brought two rifles and two shooters?  Nice.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 1:47:30 AM EDT
[#18]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/268968/IMG_3807-2901991.jpg

View Quote

I passed thru Maui yesterday and I'm now at work on Kaho`olawe.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
No suppressors allowed?
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By HighDesert6920:
No suppressors allowed?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No suppressors allowed?

Nope.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 1:09:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Nope.
View All Quotes

No suppressors allowed?

Nope.
 Ok, thanks.  Guess I'm going to have to sell some stuff...
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 2:03:13 AM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes

No suppressors allowed?

Nope.

Too bad timing is off, I'm retiring to NC at the end of the year and want to buy a suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:38:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Range is closed for a few months until the EPA removes all the hazardous materials. Range is their staging and loading area.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 3:39:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By HI5-0:
Range is closed for a few months until the EPA removes all the hazardous materials. Range is their staging and loading area.
View Quote

Yeah, read that earlier today.

How convenient they couldn't another place along that coast to use as a temporary storage area.

This state's anti-gun attitude is part of the reason I'm moving to NC when I retire at the end of the year.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:53:23 AM EDT
[#25]
The county also closed maui raceway park for debris storage
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 2:11:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By supercomp:
The county also closed maui raceway park for debris storage
View Quote

Ya know, if I had to pick them closing a second place, that would be it.

God forbid they use any State owned vacant ag land.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Sorry to thread hijack, but I have a question

Background…wife and I will be moving to Oahu in the next three years.  Both spent many years there for various reasons. I need Oahu because I need access to the VA for medical stuff, and shopping at the PX helps

How are magazines that fit both rifles and handguns treated?

For example, I have a 16’ 9mm AR pattern rifle that takes Glock mags

Are my 17 round Glock mags now rifle mags and allowed?

I know, don’t put them in the Glock 17

I think we all agree it’s a stupid law anyway

But how does that work?

(And glad you got settled in. I am counting the days I can get the hell out of the national Capitol region/DC area and to the beach)
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By trio:

Background…wife and I will be moving to Oahu in the next three years.  Both spent many years there for various reasons. I need Oahu because I need access to the VA for medical stuff, and shopping at the PX helps

But how does that work?

(And glad you got settled in. I am counting the days I can get the hell out of the national Capitol region/DC area and to the beach)
View Quote

If it fits in a pistol, it is a pistol magazine.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

But how does that work?

gotcha, thank you for the fast reply
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#30]
OP, how are things going for you, living on the island?  

@EvilApplesauce
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, how are things going for you, living on the island?  

@EvilApplesauce
View Quote

Things are going well. Family has adjusted great. I’m participating in the local Maui Church of Christ regularly.

Been spending a lot of time with the family and growing closer to god. Job has gone well. Culture on the project has come a long way since I got here and everything has been running well.

Working on findings a local dentist and getting a doctor appointment for a general checkup. But things have been great.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 4:19:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: trio] [#32]
If you need a pediatrician let me know.  My wife used to practice here in Virginia with someone who now practices on Maui.  I don’t know where on Maui she practices, but if you need one let me know and I can get her info and slide it to you.  She also may know general practitioners in the area if you need help with that, I can see if my wife can ask her for recommendations.  May take a while for the messages to make their way back and forth but I’m happy to try
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Things are going well. Family has adjusted great. I'm participating in the local Maui Church of Christ regularly.

Been spending a lot of time with the family and growing closer to god. Job has gone well. Culture on the project has come a long way since I got here and everything has been running well.

Working on findings a local dentist and getting a doctor appointment for a general checkup. But things have been great.
View Quote
Thanks for the update, and sharing your story/adventure!  Please update us once-in-awhile.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#34]
If you need a pediatrician let me know.  My wife used to practice here in Virginia with someone who now practices on Maui.  I don’t know where on Maui she practices, but if you need one let me know and I can get her info and slide it to you.  She also may know general practitioners in the area if you need help with that, I can see if my wife can ask her for recommendations.  May take a while for the messages to make their way back and forth but I’m happy to try
View Quote

I am looking for a general practitioner to get checked up.i will DM you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for the update, and sharing your story/adventure!  Please update us once-in-awhile.
View Quote

We have made it out a few times Iao valley and had the kids enjoying some of the area.

Been trying to work on getting a plan to do the road to Hana with the family. Not that is far but kids don’t like being in the car seats that long.

I’m going to meet with some of the Maui Relief people this week to see if there is anything I can help with. I’m also working on a product that has been show to have a lot of interest.

I bought an industrial sewing machine over Black Friday and that was a heft cost to get it here to the island but it was definitely needed.

Lots of moving parts, definitely been a blessing to come here. I did get a chance to make it SHOT and all I could talk about was how happy I have been. Spending more time with my family, my relationship with my wife has never been better as well as how much better my relationship with God has become.

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:36:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EvilApplesauce] [#36]
Here are some of the packs I have made

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Nice!  Are you going to be selling them local at a shop or market?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Nice!  Are you going to be selling them local at a shop or market?
View Quote

There is one shop "Maikai Market Maui" that has a grand opening this weekend, they have products from local (Maui and Molokai - the next island over from Maui). I'll be having some packs this weekend over at their shop.

So far is been selling by word of mouth. I have a website that is coming along. I haven't been pushing the website as its in more of a soft open store as i am working the website still, as well as working on material and hammering out small bits of the designs.

This week before last we had a friend from the mainland come visit and stay with us at our place.

My buddy I've know for 16 years now. He wants to take a vacation and i told him that the whole family could come and stay with us for free, so he took advantage of it. It was great having them here for 2 weeks. We grilled and smoked cigars. Our kids had a blast together at home and at the beach.

My son was fearless running up to the waves every chance he could. It will be his first birthday this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Just got the word.

Project is coming to a close and there is no more capital projects on the island right now. I have about 6 to 10 weeks left.

They offered me a raise to live on Oahu but I don't think that will work for me. The benefit to having a capital project is that The company paid for housing and still provided per diem, on Oahu they will only cover salary and while its a good salary, it won't be as comfortable for The family due to the cost of living out here. I’II be headed to Texas for the next capital project.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top