Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2024 6:28:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ambridge77]
I grew up camping at Lake Wilderness off Route 3 in Spotsylvania.

I ended up camping from PA to FL.

What was your favorite place?

Just curious.

Edit - I'm not a bot... as far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Only place I've camped in last 20 years is at Bull Run campground.  Its not real wildernessy, but its local for NOVA and fun for the kids for a few nights.  

For someone w/ an RV its the perfect place to stop if checking out DC or the battlefields.

We've stayed in tents and the a/c'ed cabins.  There's a waterpark you can walk to but we never checked it out.

As a bonus you can hear the skeet range all day.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 2:14:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Has been a few yours since we have camped. The boss always said I don't mind camping but there better be bathrooms. So Big Meadows in Shenandoah National  park was always our go to. We always got there on Sundays when everybody else was leaving so less people. Plus with so many trails, always a new one to hike.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#3]
We like Kiptopeke State Park. Great beaches, no waves, occasional dolphins, and the rapidly-gentrifying Cape Charles. Kayak rentals, nice trails, nice biking, nice hiking.

Elizabeth Furnace has a campground, no hookups though, but it's fine. It's actually huge fun in a tent, and you're right next to the river.

Shenandoah State Park is also really nice to camp at, love the hikes and stuff, and plenty of campsites.

We've always meant to go camping at Natural Chimneys State (county?) park, but we only visited a bunch of times.

For a resort experience, Yogi Bear in Luray, or Shenandoah Campground in Verona are decent places for your kids to have stuff to do.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:43:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Another fan of Big Meadows on Skyline.  Also, National Forest land is great…no bathrooms though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:00:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ambridge77] [#5]
I think I camped on Old Rag, but
(I'm trying to remember back to college in '93.
I needed credit in a college elective.)...
it was some VA mountain, somewhere in SW VA.

I also camped near VA Beach, probably in a
Good Sam park, off that main road to the beach.

Mostly I camped in tents, sometimes in a pop-up...
both I learned from my VA-born step-father. We got
very good (NASCAR speed) at setting up tents and
pop-ups.

I miss camping. My ex-wife always sabotaged my camping
with our children by assuring them a black bear would eat them.

They'd run in the farmhouse by 10 p.m.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Primitive camping:  Camped at the top of Dragon's Tooth back in the early 90's in January.  It was a weeeee chilly that night.  Great place to camp in the summer months.

Family campground:  Cherrystone outside Cape Charles.  Lots of stuff for the kids to do, waterfront, fishing, etc.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Grays Mountain - I believe it is in Madison County. Private property, primitive camping (no running water), or lodges. Horse stable, great hiking nearby. Plenty to do.

-shooter
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#8]
False cape is pretty nice for primitive. Camp in the dies and hang on the beach all day. Fairly private sites. Have to walk, bike or boat in.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 5:58:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ambridge77] [#9]
I haven't taken my autistic 10 y.o. camping... ever.

I fear the autistic screeching... and I'm not kidding
knowing his mother and her mother will be undermining
our time camping together.

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe start out small, like your backyard.  A fire pit, making smores, hobo meals…and if things start to go not as planned home is a few feet away.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 12:59:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Kiptopeke S.P. for beach camping, or Bolar Mountain Rec Area near Lake Moomaw for traditional mountain lake camping are our favorites. For cabin "camping", Douthat S.P. is very nice.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GreginVA:
Maybe start out small, like your backyard.  A fire pit, making smores, hobo meals…and if things start to go not as planned home is a few feet away.
View Quote

Planning to do that this spring with my 5yo daughter. We already do firepits regularly, but she wants to sleep in a tent, so I'll set it all up knowing there's a near 100% chance she'll end up back in the house within an hour or two
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By GreginVA:
View Quote

Pretty good idea.

We already build makeshift tents indoors,
on the weekends.

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ruffhowzer:
Has been a few yours since we have camped. The boss always said I don't mind camping but there better be bathrooms. So Big Meadows in Shenandoah National  park was always our go to. We always got there on Sundays when everybody else was leaving so less people. Plus with so many trails, always a new one to hike.
View Quote

Same here, but you're talking the 70s and the 80s when I used to camp there.  I imagine it's changed.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mchgnxj24:
False cape is pretty nice for primitive. Camp in the dies and hang on the beach all day. Fairly private sites. Have to walk, bike or boat in.
View Quote

False cape is the single largest waste of public land in the state, probably country.

We have 7-8 miles of ocean front and bay front property which you can barely access.

Imagine the recreational opportunities if they had roads and campgrounds, marinas, etc.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By vatopa:

False cape is the single largest waste of public land in the state, probably country.

We have 7-8 miles of ocean front and bay front property which you can barely access.

Imagine the recreational opportunities if they had roads and campgrounds, marinas, etc.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vatopa:
Originally Posted By mchgnxj24:

That’s why I like it. We are usually the only people on the beach when we bike down there. Not letting dogs in Back Bay pisses me off more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top