Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2024 6:37:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: garr]
Nassau County seeks armed deputies

What is this all about? In NY?
Commies are going to go nuts!
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Westchester already has this. Actually, since 1912. And it's in PL 2.10.

I don't know how Nassau can do it without amending PL 2.10 to make these guys peace officers. And they would have to go through the NYS-mandated training.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By garr:
Nassau County seeks armed deputies

What is this all about? In NY?
Commies are going to go nuts!
View Quote
First of all, CERT is a mess. We had to tackle some lady at an MCI drill back in like 2007 and almost started a riot.  They're the same soccer moms who stepped up to be COVID heroes.

Second of all, this has been the story with Aux. Police for decades (and they're a joke, though less so in Suffolk).  

Third of all, where do I sign up?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the email. I do not have a Nassau County PL so do not qualify. The application deadline is March 31st and it would probably take until March 31, 2025 to get a Nassau County pistol license.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Aardvark:
I got the email. I do not have a Nassau County PL so do not qualify. The application deadline is March 31st and it would probably take until March 31, 2025 to get a Nassau County pistol license.
View Quote
How does one apply?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:21:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: batjka104] [#5]
Again, it's a great idea. But how can they legally do it without amending PL 2.10 to give the Deputies police powers?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By batjka104:
Again, it's a great idea. But how can they legally do it without amending PL 2.10 to give the Deputies police powers?
View Quote
They have super citizen powers.  They carry civilian legal weapons and detain for crimes committed in their presence and otherwise defend themselves.  Nothing wrong with a citizen's arrest,
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By emsjeep:
They have super citizen powers.  They carry civilian legal weapons and detain for crimes committed in their presence and otherwise defend themselves.  Nothing wrong with a citizen's arrest,
View Quote

Would you follow orders, be detained, or arrested by folks who don't have official powers in the State Law?

Perhaps the plan is to make them Deputies under Nassau Sherriff, but Nassau Sheriff Deputies are police officers in the PL. No way would these emergency Deputies are going through the required training to qualify. Peace Officer training is easier to go through. But there is no designation in the PL for such Peace Officers.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Would you follow orders, be detained, or arrested by folks who don't have official powers in the State Law?

Perhaps the plan is to make them Deputies under Nassau Sherriff, but Nassau Sheriff Deputies are police officers in the PL. No way would these emergency Deputies are going through the required training to qualify. Peace Officer training is easier to go through. But there is no designation in the PL for such Peace Officers.

View Quote
What special powers are you referring to?  Citizens have arrest powers for felonies actually committed and for crimes committed in their presence.  Police have some expanded powers, but everyone has arrest powers of some sort.  Aux police and the like aren't used to investigate or respond to crime, they're essentially security, and would arrest someone they see actively committing a crime.  Generally people would submit to someone in uniform when they know that person just witnessed them commit a crime.  I'm not sure what you're trying to say?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Auxiliaries don't have arrest powers as per PL 2.10, unless a state of war or national disaster is declared.

Now if, per the email that was quoted, Nassau wants to give the new Deputies police power, they need to amend PL 2.10 to designate them as Peace Officers. Simple.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

So No Standard Capacity Mags?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:09:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Auxiliaries don't have arrest powers as per PL 2.10, unless a state of war or national disaster is declared.

Now if, per the email that was quoted, Nassau wants to give the new Deputies police power, they need to amend PL 2.10 to designate them as Peace Officers. Simple.
View Quote
Police have expanded arrest powers, yes. But again, even a citizen can make an arrest.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#13]

So No Standard Capacity Mags?
View Quote

If they have powers of arrest and are armed on duty, LEOSA applies.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's the NYS County Law 655:

"For the protection of human life and property during an emergency, the sheriff may deputize orally or in writing such number of additional special deputies as he deems necessary. If he is unable to continue the services of such special deputies without compensation, he may pay the compensation of any such special deputies in such amount as the board of supervisors may determine for each day any such special deputy is actually engaged in assisting him in the performance of his duties, or in assisting any other sheriff who has declared a state of special emergency, pursuant to the provisions of section two hundred nine-f of the general municipal law, with the permission of the sheriff who deputized him. If the board of supervisors shall fail to fix the compensation of such special deputies, the sheriff may fix such compensation at not exceeding three dollars per hour for each such special deputy. The compensation of any special deputy so appointed shall be a county charge. The board of supervisors may direct the manner of payment including a direction of approval for such payment by the chairman of a designated committee of the board".
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#15]
How does one apply?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aardvark:
How does one apply?
For which? The letter says applications to the Sheriff's department are due by March 31, 2024. My point was that if I applied for a Nassau County PL today, I would probably not receive it until March 31, 2025 Nassau just released a 56 page guide to pistol licensing. I have no disqualifiers that I know of but it is a long convoluted time consuming process that also costs a small fortune. There were also the issues regarding social media accounts and drug testing. The court had issued an injunction but it was at the time for only the plaintiffs. Have not been paying attention to the status of that case.

Regardless, getting a license in Nassau is about as difficult if not more so than New York City. There is no 2nd Amendment in Nassau and the Bruen is meaningless here.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:32:11 AM EDT
[#16]
The killer is the waiver of liability.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:44:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By secamp32:
View Quote

+1, Do cop stuff in an emergency, but if something goes sideways you get personally sued for doing cop stuff.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Very much this.

You get busted up like Evel Kneivel and the county says "Sucks to be you!"
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:31:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sherm8404] [#19]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

+1, Do cop stuff in an emergency, but if something goes sideways you get personally sued for doing cop stuff.

Cops get named personally all the time in lawsuits. If you’re actions are procedurally/legaly sound then your generally given QI/indemnification and not personally liable.

Sounds to me like you’d be waiving county liabilty if you’re injured. Read that as no workman’s comp, no aided number, no disability. On your own health insurance. County’s still on the hook for your actions.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top