Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2024 1:59:37 PM EDT
https://dec.ny.gov/news/press-releases/2024/2/dec-announces-changes-to-sporting-license-fulfillment-beginning-aug-1?

#1. DEC is proposing a regulation change that will allow an additional "printing fee." New York can do nothing without an additional fee.
#2 A PLAIN PAPER CARCASS TAG! What could go wrong?
#3 Proof of licensure can be shown electronically through the HuntFishNY mobile app on your phone, thereby giving the DEC the exact GPS coordinates of your favorite fishing and hunting spots.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Zero6:
https://dec.ny.gov/news/press-releases/2024/2/dec-announces-changes-to-sporting-license-fulfillment-beginning-aug-1?

#1. DEC is proposing a regulation change that will allow an additional "printing fee." New York can do nothing without an additional fee. Of Course they are
#2 A PLAIN PAPER CARCASS TAG! What could go wrong? I'll be laminating mine. I've had the orange ones come off before. What a fun time that was.
#3 Proof of licensure can be shown electronically through the HuntFishNY mobile app on your phone, thereby giving the DEC the exact GPS coordinates of your favorite fishing and hunting spots.0 chance of me putting any NY run apps on anything I own. I've carried the one piece that shows what was purchased in my wallet for years and I'll continue doing that.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 4:40:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lion] [#2]
Im old.  My first licenses were paper with the stamps you needed to sign your name accross.

The original carcass tages were a real heavy paper.  No idea on how plain printer paper will hold up, particually on a buck on a roof or truck bed.

I do like the idea of being able to print a license from home though.  I have a lifetime but my dad does not, this helps.

As for proof of license, does the "symbols" you can get you your DL count to prove you have a license?

This also adds another nail in the coffin to sporting stores in NYS, at least this got people int he door.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#3]

#3 Proof of licensure can be shown electronically through the HuntFishNY mobile app on your phone, thereby giving the DEC the exact GPS coordinates of your favorite fishing and hunting spots.
View Quote

You need to learn how to disable GPS tracking in your apps. If you don't give it permission, it won't send that information back to them.

And if you are not actively using the app (like while showing your license to a game warden) you should have it shut down, not running in the background.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 6:02:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTM1] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lion:
Im old.  My first licenses were paper with the stamps you needed to sign your name accross.

The original carcass tages were a real heavy paper.  No idea on how plain printer paper will hold up, particually on a buck on a roof or truck bed.

I do like the idea of being able to print a license from home though.  I have a lifetime but my dad does not, this helps.

As for proof of license, does the "symbols" you can get you your DL count to prove you have a license?

This also adds another nail in the coffin to sporting stores in NYS, at least this got people int he door.
View Quote

It does not add any nails into the coffin of sporting stores as you can still purchase licenses at stores it just offers options as more people like the idea of purchasing on-line etc. I buy at a local store and will continue to do so and I am sure others will continue to do so unless they find printing at home more convenient.    

I too grew up on paper licenses .

ETA OP of thread is off on all three points.

1.The fee yet to be determined would be charged by the store to print the license and carcass tags. It is not the state making a money grab. FYI you can print at home without the fee like you would with any other document you need printed.

2. If it is pouring out I can see the potential for an issue while filling it out but I am sure people can handle it, and like the site says just put it in a zip-loc.

3. No one said you have to use the app.

Link Posted: 2/5/2024 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By NYresq1:

You need to learn how to disable GPS tracking in your apps. If you don't give it permission, it won't send that information back to them.

And if you are not actively using the app (like while showing your license to a game warden) you should have it shut down, not running in the background.
View Quote

A decade of forensic phone examinations has taught me all I need to know about phone tracking. GPS and otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#6]
NC uses "printed paper license"

I was like hmm this will not last, but it works..

You wrap the paper around the horn of the buck..

Doe's just wrap it on one of its legs..

You have to report the deer the day of the kill
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

You are very wrong on this.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#8]
What stops the printing of multiple tags?
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:17:17 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Your moral values and belief in abiding by the laws.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Just get rid of tags.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

What prevents you from shooting and not tagging a deer?
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By M1sterM:

View Quote

Ethics and good moral upbringing?
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Bushman_269:

Ethics and good moral upbringing?
View Quote

Exactly!   My question was rhetorical...      "Tags" are more or less a social construct, and their scarcity is not the tool deer managers rely on to prevent poaching.

Tags (paper OR plastic) help a tiny bit for keeping honest hunters honest,  but they're really more of a management process and not an enforcement tool.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Ciraxis:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You're saying one can't disable tracking?
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DancingBear:

View Quote

Telling the app to stop tracking does jack shit.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 6:22:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zero6] [#17]
Originally Posted By DancingBear: You're saying one can't disable tracking?
View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJSZqSfloEE

Even if you have never installed a single app on your phone.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

no concern about these when living in a state those has a government devoid of morals and belief in abiding in law

FU NY........
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

you cannot (mostly)

Geofencing: How Your Location Data is Abused by Big Tech
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Will I have to wear my iPhone in the middle of my back?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By M1sterM:

View Quote

The deer.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
So, nothing?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#24]
So, they can just be printed like wu-flu "vax" cards?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top