Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2024 8:12:40 PM EDT
I would love some input on my situation for anyone with experience…

What I don’t want is “don’t move here, politics blah blah blah”. You’re getting another Republican voter, and from what I can tell you need it.

I’m from Washington County originally, I left for the USAF in ‘99 and never looked back. I’ve been in NC for 24 years and am in the position to move back to my home state. I’ve sold my house here, and my kids are grown. I’ve wanted to buy and live in a camper full time for a while, and I’m in that spot where I can do it now. I’ve owned travel trailers before, but only used them in the southeast.

How feasible is year round “camping” in Maine?
Any year round campgrounds in the Bangor area?
What steps need to be taken to prepare a camper for a Maine winter?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:17:29 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of camping are you thinking?

I'm up in Aroostook County, near the northern tip of ME, and although there are a couple campspots around the local snowshoe/hiking trails, they are mostly if not completely unused in the winter.

It's way below freezing, below 0 for 6 weeks or so maybe more not including wind chill.

If you are roughing it in a tent or handmade shelter you will need weeks to prepare.

Or are you looking to rent/build/buy a cabin?
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I should have been more specific in my post

I’m looking at a Winnebago Voyage 27’ travel trailer, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I cannot get into a lot of specifics because I don't personally have a winterized camper but I do know that it can be done, and done comfortably.

My brother-in-law is a high voltage electrician and travels extensively due to work.  Years ago he gave up on living in hotels and bought a tow behind camper (he's now on his third, as he keep going bigger) and has used them all over the US, including the northern tier, through many winters.  This winter he is in northern Ohio and its been cold there.  Lots of snow too.

Some campers are made for this (more insulation than is typical and the various tanks are inside the heated envelope), you will have to look more into yours for details, but as a concept, it is very doable.  My brother-in-law loves it.  For him, its a home away from home and no more living in hotels.  He finds a campground that will do a year round hook up (not always easy he says) and generally gets extreme discounts for out of season time.

Heat tracing service lines is of course critical.

I look forwards to welcoming you back.  I too left for awhile but only to New Hampshire as all of my work is in Mass (I WILL NOT LIVE THERE) and originally came from the Bangor area.  I'm in southern main now, but still in Maine.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the reply, that's definitely helpful! I'll ask the dealer about installing tank heaters.

I look forward to connecting with some Afrcommers when I move up!
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#6]
You are welcome.

The one my brother-in-law has doesn't have tank heaters as they are inside the heated envelope of the trailer.  I am curious how tank heaters would work as they would need to have enough power to keep liquids from freezing, under a lot of conditions, yet not melt the tanks.  How that works is all new to me.

The camper that he has is an Alliance MP390 for reference.  It definitely does the job, so perhaps you can look at its features and see what your camper can do and can have added.

Feel free to reach out when you arrive.  I'm down in southern Maine but far enough away from the coast to have good neighbors with the right politics.

Safe travels
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top