Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2023 5:10:05 PM EDT
I posted this on KC3's Facebook page, last night:

On Wednesday, Louisville's Mayor Craig Greenberg released his plans for the City's requests from the 2024 General Assembly. Mayor Greenberg would like for the state to give Louisville $250,000,000. That is a quarter of a billion dollars. He will also ask that Louisville Metro be allowed to make their own firearms laws. These laws would be over and above existing state gun laws. They would be exempt from our statewide firearms preemption law. He didn't give any specifics but if he were to follow the other extremist mayors in the county, I would expect he would make all of Louisville a "sensitive place" and ban firearms. I suppose that a concealed carry license would not be valid in Louisville. He has asked that firearms confiscated by the city or seized by police or courts should be destroyed by the city and not released to the Ky. State Police to be auctioned to Licensed gun dealers, as has been done for years.
Funds raised in this way have traditionally been used to buy safety equipment for law enforcement officers. It wasn't mentioned in this speech but the Mayor has often said he wanted Red Flag laws in Ky. The first sentence of our current concealed carry law say the "license shall be valid throughout the state. That should never change.
We can not allow any of these things to happen. Call and write your State Representative and State Senator and tell them that you oppose all of these things and that you expect them to oppose all of them when they appear for a vote. We must stop these extremist policies.
Unfortunately, many people in Ky,, and their legislators will decide that what happens in Louisville does not affect them and they will not care what type of laws they pass. If this is done with Louisville, it will soon follow to Fayette Co, then Owensboro and Ashland. By next year every city and county will want the same kind of authority. Don't misunderstand, we all know a mayor or Coubty Judge/Exec. that will swear that the second Amendment is sacred to them, but they all share the same flaw. They all want power. The more power the better.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for your vigilance
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#2]
lol dumbass mayor

the city got slapped down by a public defender for their no shooting within x feet of a structure
granted the guy was a dumbass and shot into the air to scare away baddies

https://www.wave3.com/2023/07/07/louisville-gun-ordinance-declared-unconstitutional/
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 6:09:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By craig24680:
lol dumbass mayor

the city got slapped down by a public defender for their no shooting within x feet of a structure

https://www.wave3.com/2023/07/07/louisville-gun-ordinance-declared-unconstitutional/
View Quote

That's why they want the General Assembly to change the laws for them. They want to make sure it's done right this time.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you.

Please let me know what support you need out of the Owensboro area.

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By softpoint:

That's why they want the General Assembly to change the laws for them. They want to make sure it's done right this time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By craig24680:
lol dumbass mayor

If the State Constitution prohibits them from regulating firearms then what authority would they have to grant permission to cities to regulate firearms?  

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 4:15:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: softpoint] [#6]
Originally Posted By SWIRE:

If the State Constitution prohibits them from regulating firearms then what authority would they have to grant permission to cities to regulate firearms?  

View Quote

I doubt that the State Constitution prohibits them from regulating guns in all situations. We know that the state regulates concealed weapons and if we look a little deeper we would find that the state regulates open carry in at least two places and authorizes colleges and universities to ban firearms. The state also bans possession of guns in health care centers, child care facilities and k-12 schools  If it were true that the state constitution prohibits all of this state sponsored gun control, why would we need a "firearms preemption law"? Relief from the preemption law is what the City would want, or at least relief from some parts of it. It is hard to predict what they might want. I know they will want much more than they will end up getting. I imagine that they would like to have a registry of all guns domiciled in Jefferson County and that would require a reporting system every time a gun is sold in Jefferson County and safe storage of guns and ammunition regulations.I am sure that Mayor Greenberg can think up more useless rules that I can. Now these crazy rules will only apply in Jefferson County and if you stay out of there, they will not affect you. But if you need to enter Jefferson you could end up being hassled by Metro and having to prove your true residence. Maybe spend the night or a weekend in jail until they get it straightened out.If you buy a gun at Cabelas, Academy Sports or any other gun store inside Jefferson Co. that purchase would have to be recorded. Welcome to Louisville Metro. .
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Keep a close eye on this matter and The Chamber... and most of all the legislators that are owned by that lobby.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 7:49:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: softpoint] [#8]
Originally Posted By jaymack:
Keep a close eye on this matter and The Chamber... and most of all the legislators that are owned by that lobby.
View Quote

Since this only involves Louisville Metro, I suspect the support will come from the League of Cities and KACO. The Chamber usually only cares about changes in law that affect businesses. In fact, if we framed this right and could make the case that even fewer people will want to come to Louisville businesses if this becomes law, the Chamber may want to sit this one out.

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 10:08:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jaymack] [#9]

Since this only involves Louisville Metro, I suspect the support will come from the League of Cities and KACO. The Chamber usually only cares about changes in law that affect businesses. In fact, if we framed this right and could make the case that even fewer people will want to come to Louisville businesses if this becomes law, the Chamber may want to sit this one out.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jaymack:

@softpoint - I wholeheartedly disagree.  The Chamber has a record of pro-gun control and other matters that DON'T directly affect private owned businesses.  In fact, they brag about bills "they defeated" - many of which are pro-2A and even pro forcing kids to take vaccines as related to the wuhan flu.

See page 9

ETA:  I have followed closely and been more invested in the last the regular sessions than ever before.  I do NOT consider The Chamber a friend of this community or any community that cherishes personal freedoms and liberties.

https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/record/23rs/hb138.html
https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/record/23rs/sb31.html
https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/record/23rs/sb237.html
https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/record/23rs/hb110.html

They were somehow even able to flip a few freshmen reps that RAN ON the premise of medical and 2A freedom... then gave them "high scores" and praised them socially... some of these same reps subsequently earned extremely LOW grades from freedom oriented orgs like The Family Foundation that endorsed them during their elections.  Sad and frustrating.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 3:29:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: geekz0r] [#10]
Now these crazy rules will only apply in Jefferson County and if you stay out of there, they will not affect you.
View Quote

Until some other blue city decides they want this too...  Once they establish a precedence that their city can be exempt from the preemption laws, others may want the same.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By geekz0r:

Until some other blue city decides they want this too...  Once they establish a precedence that their city can be exempt from the preemption laws, others may want the same.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By geekz0r:
Now these crazy rules will only apply in Jefferson County and if you stay out of there, they will not affect you.

This
Give them an inch and a mile later the state is CA with regards to gun laws
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#12]

I doubt that the State Constitution prohibits them from regulating guns in all situations.
View Quote

There is technically and then the courts interpretation.

Kentucky Bill of Rights, Section 1
Seventh: The right to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the State, subject to the power of the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons.

That is pretty direct and clear.  The only exception to the right is specifically called out as the General Assembly being able to regulate concealed carry.  If the General Assembly had general authority to regulate all firearms then why only call out that specific exception?  Unlike the US BOR which some say is ambiguous the KY BOR is very clear that all rights are being defined for the people.  

I have also heard at least one pro-gun state legislator repeat this view.  A legislators opinion isn't the same as a court ruling but if a legislator also believes it then there is a little bit more weight behind it than just my opinion.

The US Supreme Court has stated "reasonable restrictions" on rights is ok as long as some aspect of the right is still preserved.  Since the state is Red right now and there is a Super Majority it would be nice if the legislators would further define/clarify things.  The veto proof majority should be used to codify a lot of things we currently accept as fact and take for granted.  As the cities keep growing the politics will shift to the left just like they have in Pennsylvania and Michigan.  Sure a law can be overturned but it would require a liberal veto proof super majority to easily do it.  Hopefully Kentucky never has that type of political makeup during  my life time.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 3:05:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Seventh: The right to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the State, subject to the power of the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons.

That is pretty direct and clear.  The only exception to the right is specifically called out as the General Assembly being able to regulate concealed carry.  If the General Assembly had general authority to regulate all firearms then why only call out that specific exception?  Unlike the US BOR which some say is ambiguous the KY BOR is very clear that all rights are being defined for the people.  

I have also heard at least one pro-gun state legislator repeat this view.  A legislators opinion isn't the same as a court ruling but if a legislator also believes it then there is a little bit more weight behind it than just my opinion.

The US Supreme Court has stated "reasonable restrictions" on rights is ok as long as some aspect of the right is still preserved.  Since the state is Red right now and there is a Super Majority it would be nice if the legislators would further define/clarify things.  The veto proof majority should be used to codify a lot of things we currently accept as fact and take for granted.  As the cities keep growing the politics will shift to the left just like they have in Pennsylvania and Michigan.  Sure a law can be overturned but it would require a liberal veto proof super majority to easily do it.  Hopefully Kentucky never has that type of political makeup during  my life time.  

View All Quotes

I doubt that the State Constitution prohibits them from regulating guns in all situations.

I can't see any way that your post is related to the quoted portion of my post.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

The statement "subject to the power of the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons"  is the only power to regulate firearms that the Kentucky Bill of Rights gives to the General Assembly.  A strict reading of it means they can only pass laws on about concealed carry.  At least one state legislator has repeated that position, that the General Assembly has no authority to pass any gun laws unless it is about concealed carry.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:34:10 PM EDT
[#15]

The statement "subject to the power of the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons"  is the only power to regulate firearms that the Kentucky Bill of Rights gives to the General Assembly.  A strict reading of it means they can only pass laws on about concealed carry.  At least one state legislator has repeated that position, that the General Assembly has no authority to pass any gun laws unless it is about concealed carry.  

View Quote
That does appears to be the case, however it doesn't seem to prevent the General Assembly from doing just what the constitution says that they can not do.

KRS 527.070
(1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a weapon on school property when he
knowingly deposits, possesses, or carries, whether openly or concealed, for
purposes other than instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, or the
purposes permitted in subsection (3) of this section, any firearm or other deadly
weapon, destructive device, or booby trap device in any public or private school....

KRS 244.125
(1) Except as provided in subsection (3) of this section, no person shall be in
possession of a loaded, as defined in KRS 237.060, firearm while actually within
the room where alcoholic beverages are being sold by the drink...

Because the General Assembly DOES regulate openly carried firerms, in at least these two places, I try to not say, or even think, that they can't regulate openly carried firearms. Several public officials submitted Requests for Opinion to the AG's office on this subject, both when Andy Beshear occupied that office and now during the tenure of Daniel Cameron. Neither of those chose to opine on that subject.

This entire discussion seems to have been started because of the state court ruling that LMPD's ordinance about firing a gun near a building was unconstitutional. It was only ruled unconstitutional due to the fact that it called for jail time for offenders. Had it only asked for a fine, that ruling would have never happened. I don't understand how so much interest can be generated for something that I consider to be a small matter.
Everybody knows about this and some even care a little bit, but nobody is willing to touch the subject because they know that they might not be able to win in the Ky. courts (what do you think Judge Shepard thinks about this?) and even if they could win they would become the most unpopular legislator in Frankfort. Nobody wants to touch Pandora's box, once it's is opened, you can't close it again.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Glad I don't live in that shithole anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top