Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2024 6:26:55 PM EDT
Are there any ranges in Virginia that are a bay Style of range. as in you rent out a bay and can shoot any regular guns (shotguns, pistols, rifles) I moved here from Texas where I was able to enjoy several ranges of this type, and I'm looking for a place in Southern Virginia or Northern North Carolina. Does anyone know of a place like this?

I would like to do some simple pistol/rifle drills and you simply can't do that at a regular 100 yard sit down range.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Southern Va shares a helluva border with NC,  

so what area are you in?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Williamsburg, but I'm willing to drive up to about 2 hours. 3 if the range is particularly good.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:25:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Messer] [#3]
Charlottesville is about 2 hours from Williamsburg - the Rivanna Rifle & Pistol Club has multiple ranges - some allow you to use and transition between rifle, pistol and shotgun.

It's a private club you would have to join - currently dues are $140.00/year. If you live more than 75 miles away from the club, the dues would be less.

If you would like to come take a tour, PM me - I'm the club President.

Bob S.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#4]
There is colonial shooting academy i have never been. Have heard mixed reviews about them. Then there is greentop shooting range. They gave me free ammo and range ti.e when i bought my VP9 from them. I used the ammo on the hunting property to shoot lol. So i never went but they do offer memberships there
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's my take on this:

Green Top:  Amazing place, up there along I-95 next to Bass Pro, in Ashland, VA. (Exit 89, at the Lewiston Rd exit).  These guys are cool!  The RSO's are knowledgeable, legit, but don't "breathe down the back of your neck" -- if you know what I mean.  This used to be the old Winding Brook Range, and... kind of fell on bad times a few years ago... Green Top bought it out, resurrected it, rebuilt it, and it is FANTASTIC!

Colonial Shooting Academy, Broad St. Richmond:  This used to be a great place, like what Green Top's Range is now.  Same thing, same concept.  Very well ventilated, 25yd indoor range.  The only thing that sets Colonial apart is all the rumors (which - sadly, are mostly true, believe me!).  According to the infamous rumors going around, Colonial has some very, uh... heavy handed.. RSO's on the range. Don't matter who you are.  Don't matter who you THINK you are.  Don't matter what qualifications you got.  The RSO's will be on you like a Marine Corps DI down at Parris Island!

Dominion Range (aka the old D&P range) off Midlothian Tnpk:  No!  Just... NO! Here it is March 2024, and I don't even know if that nasty ol' place is still in business or not.  OMG...  Ventilation, anyone?!? It's a wonder nobody ever got brain damage from the pent up gunpowder fumes reeking all over the place!  Worse yet, and well... I don't know if I should say this or not, as it might be considered "racial profiling", but "Da Boyz" frequented the place from what I have seen in years past.  Baseball cap sideways, jeans dangling down, showing their underwear, and they are there to rent a handgun and get experience with "popping some caps".  I never went back, after seeing two of them with a TEC-9 rental and they stood back from the range lane, WITH IT LOADED, and took "selfies" of themselves.

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#6]
There is Cavalier out in Montplier. Members only range with a pretty good wait list from what i hear. They do have several bays as wellas static ranges and i believe a 600 yard range. Maybe you can find a member and go as a guest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top