Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2024 6:51:12 AM EDT
Senate Codes agenda for Tuesday March 26 @ 11:30am:

S-1892, Relates to adding ammunition to the list of prohibited items to purchase or dispose of after certain convictions. Companion A-659.

S-4818, Establishes a 10 day waiting period for the purchase of any firearm. Companion A-5696.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By nyrkba:
Senate Codes agenda for Tuesday March 26 @ 11:30am:

S-1892, Relates to adding ammunition to the list of prohibited items to purchase or dispose of after certain convictions. Companion A-659.

S-4818, Establishes a 10 day waiting period for the purchase of any firearm. Companion A-5696.

View Quote

On top of the already 2-3 weeks most people wait to get the amendment approved?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#2]
As no one is opposing this, yes.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:47:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nyrkba:
As no one is opposing this, yes.
View Quote

So likely this will pass? Just awful.

I mean I already own dozens of guns. Do they really think I'm going to be impacted by a cooling off period when I buy a 20th handgun?

And someone who jumps through 1 year of hoops to get a pistol permit and to get their first gun? Was the 1 year not long enough of a cooling off period?

And was all this waiting (more than 10 days anyway) not long enough to conduct an investigation already?

These people are truly public servant morons. They deserve their shitty place in life.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:10:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99] [#4]
And wait...so you pass the NICS check, THEN you have to wait 10 days...What sort of extra investigation does NY do during this 10 day period?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Makes me kind of glad the guns I want are illegal in NY and the ones I can have that I want I already have.

This is going to suck for gun stores. No more impulse buys.

Fuck NY.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DaveM4P99:
And wait...so you pass the NICS check, THEN you have to wait 10 days...
View Quote

If you wait 10 days, you have to get another NICS check. The NICS check is only good until you leave the store.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:42:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99] [#7]
Originally Posted By Zero6:

If you wait 10 days, you have to get another NICS check. The NICS check is only good until you leave the store.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Lol...so NY will ban all gun purchases if they mandate this?

The bill says you pass the NICS check, then wait 10 days.

Then NICS would mandate you do another check?

Then NY mandates another 10 days?

Then NICS says another check...

Endless cycle? Ha.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

@Zero6

Isn't an NICS check good for 30 days?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Does this only apply to the counties that give you the coupon the same day as buying your hand gun or does it apply to counties that can take up to two months to get your coupon, I’m going to guess it’s for all firearms ten days no matter what, so you’ll have to wait to get your purchase coupon plus when you go to pick up another ten days before you can take it home .
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cranberry1:
Does this only apply to the counties that give you the coupon the same day as buying your hand gun or does it apply to counties that can take up to two months to get your coupon, I’m going to guess it’s for all firearms ten days no matter what, so you’ll have to wait to get your purchase coupon plus when you go to pick up another ten days before you can take it home .
View Quote

It's for rifles and shotguns too...not just handguns/firearms.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#11]

@Zero6

View Quote

If the check takes more than 30 days to clear, the dealer can proceed with the firearm transfer.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:46:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99] [#12]

If the check takes more than 30 days to clear, the dealer can proceed with the firearm transfer.
View All Quotes

@Zero6

Right but I guess that's not the flaw in the bill we were looking for? ATF says You can pass the NICS check, and pickup the gun anytime within 30 days.

You said the NICS check is no good after you leave the store. Or did I misunderstand?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#13]
This will also obviously END all gun shows in NY for good.

Fucking assholes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Right but I guess that's not the flaw in the bill we were looking for? ATF says You can pass the NICS check, and pickup the gun anytime within 30 days.

You said the NICS check is no good after you leave the store. Or did I misunderstand?
View Quote

Flaw in the bill? You think this was not on purpose?

ATF says the NICS check was good for 30 days. New York, with the SAFE Act said no go. I'm not sure what they are doing now that New York switched to being a "point of contact" state and New York, not the store, is doing all the checks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cranberry1:
View Quote

After waiting a year to get your permit in the first place
Yeah, that extra ten days for a "cooling off" period ..when the odds are that you already have at least one other gun in the house already, if your intent was to harm someone.
These Dems arent the brightest bunch
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought NY FFL's didn't do NICS checks anymore? I thought everything was sent to the NYSP?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:20:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By NYresq1:
I thought NY FFL's didn't do NICS checks anymore? I thought everything was sent to the NYSP?
View Quote

Instead of the Dealer calling or going on-line with the NICS center, now the Dealer has to go on-line to a third party contracted to the NYSP to run the check, then if there's a problem the SP has to deal with it.

Ammunition is supposed to be a different system, but still administered by Tyler Technologies under contract to the NYSP.

Not that there could ever be any issues...https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20231219672086/en/Tyler-Technologies-Aids-New-York-State-Police-in-Implementation-of-Stronger-Background-Checks-for-Firearms do a search of the company.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top