Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2024 9:18:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LamePostCount]
The docket list for this NY SAFE Act case is posted below.  Does anyone know what the next steps are?  

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/66692907/lane-v-james/https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/66692907/lane-v-james/
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:45:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99] [#1]
It's a well thought out and fairly simple argument from our side. Post Bruen, there should be no doubt.

But this is NY.

I am also interested in a timeline if there is one. This case was filed December 2022 after Bruen...one would hope a decision is soon? But I have no idea where it's even at.

Looks like we are asking for a summary judgement? So it has to be close?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#2]
At this point one has to wonder what SCOTUS might do. On April 4th, Sotomayer rejected lifting the stay on New York's "Good Moral Character" requirement. It was struck in Antonyuk and then that decision stayed by the 2nd. Sotomayer has left the stay in place. It was also mentioned she did not pass it around to the other Justices for comment.

I have ZERO expectation any 2nd Amendment case will find for the plaintiffs in any New York based court be it state or federal.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DaveM4P99:
It's a well thought out and fairly simple argument from our side. Post Bruen, there should be no doubt.

But this is NY.

I am also interested in a timeline if there is one. This case was filed December 2022 after Bruen...one would hope a decision is soon? But I have no idea where it's even at.

Looks like we are asking for a summary judgement? So it has to be close?
View Quote

I did a double take at that date and had to double check.  Yep.  Bruen was June of 2022.  Nearly 1 year and 10 months ago.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BenC:

I did a double take at that date and had to double check.  Yep.  Bruen was June of 2022.  Nearly 1 year and 10 months ago.
View Quote

Which is really not a long time ago in terms of court decisions.

It took like a decade for Heller / McDonald to actually have any impact on DC.

But we all know NY laws are unconstitutional. Even without a court decision.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:02:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99] [#5]
So hoping this Bush appointed republican judge rules in our favor...how fast will the 2nd circus place a stay on the ruling?

We need scotus to rule on one of the 3 or so AWB / mag cases they already have. Then NYs laws are toast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top