Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2024 6:06:56 PM EDT
I've been waiting to get the fuck out of NY for a few years now....

I'm an immigrant.  I moved to the USA for greater freedom, for the rights and privileges associated with being an American.  Unfortunately, I ended up in New York, where none of those freedoms exist.

This fucking state is unbelievable....  The Supreme Court of the United States  smacks NY down and says "Sorry, no, your laws are unconstitutional'.  Hochul, and the Dems in Albany throw a fit and fire back, "Nope, we aren't gonna listen, so were gonna double down", and they enact MORE restrictive laws.  I'm tired of living under the shadow of this cunt in Albany.

I'm an excellent driver.  I got two totally bogus traffic tickets, both bullshit speed trap tickets.  The trooper who pulls me over says "Sorry, we've got an enforcement drive (meaning squeeze the peasants for more taxes) and I haven't got any discretion in this".  The fine is $120 or so, but NYS has to throw about $100 in fees on top.  Hey, you got me.

Now, along comes a new letter in the mail.  I've been hit with another fee, and NYS has hit me with a Driver responsibility fee.  Pay up.  Another $525.  Of course the fact that Ive had three traffic tickets in 15 years is irrelevant..  Lets press the peasants for MORE taxes...

I'm good with this.  I will write NYS a check for the $525.  However, I retire in three years.  On the day after I retire, I will be moving.  And taking the girlfriend (who will then be my wife) with me.  And that means I will take about $90,000+ in retirement income yearly, for the next 30 years, and spend it elsewhere.  I will become one of hundreds of thousands of NY'er who are bailing on Albany.    

Enjoy the $525 stupid tax.  You got your money.  You strong armed this particular peasant, and extorted another $525.  It won't break me, but I'm pissed off.  I figure this $525, which is the straw that broke this camel's back, will cost NY about $3,000,000.  Thats $90,000-100,000 a year, every year, for the 30 plus years we live.  Fuck you..

I. Am. Done.  

Fuck NY...

Frozenny
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Eelcome to the liberal mental thinking..tax and pay fees out of your butt...  I don't miss ny at all. You can take all that bs and keep it..

At least I'm still a little free here in NC..

The one that really cracks me up is people sitting in the back of pickup trucks in NC.. NYS would lose there minds if they did that in NYS today...

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]
18 months maximum.  Yup, goodbye all that tax on investments. NYS has screwed themselves, it’s obvious to them.  The money has left.  The money is leaving.  But like rats they keep piling it on, wanting to be top rat in the sinking ship.

We used to talk about third world countries being a “failed state.”   Well NY is a failed state.  Not going to be, it already is.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:05:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Agree with all above posters. I left NY for AZ almost 9 years ago, and my only question is why my dumb ass didn’t leave sooner.

I tell the younger ( let’s say under 30) there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON. To live in NY. No job, potential retirement etc is worth the BS.

There is but one reason I would allow as excusable for staying- caring for a loved one with a terminal / life altering illness- but even then you could just take that loved one with you when you GTFO
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Not to detract from your justified rant, but that Post punishment Driver's fee is absolute bullshit and why you MUST fight any Traffic citation irrespective of guilt or lack there of. ALWAYS, plead "not-guilty" and make them either reduce or prove guilt in Court...believe me, they DO NOT want to slow the money machine by proving your case when it's much easier to settle.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I left in 1988.

Come over The River to PA.
We need your votes
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 2:39:28 AM EDT
[#6]
SC is filling up fast with NYers. It is an almost free state.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#7]
OP got protected and served by the revenue generating machine.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I moved to SC 6 months ago. My final straw in NY was getting my pistol permit revoked for a year because my girlfriend was suffering from an undiagnosed skin infection. Came down here, got My SC driver's license, took the CWP course, had my carry license within 6 weeks. Finishing up an AR pistol build right now. Oh, and my mortgage including taxes is less than my rent was on an apartment in NY. I see people offering studio apartments in NY for what my mortgage costs. And it's 65 degrees in February. Last week it hit 75 one day.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dsquared_5:
View Quote

You didn't see the signs posted on i95/i80/i85 sorry the south is full.. Try cali ...

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By cviss:

You didn't see the signs posted on i95/i80/i85 sorry the south is full.. Try cali ...

View Quote

It doesn't have room for Democrats. Columbia is all full.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Same with Virginia....  Lots and lots of NY'ers here as well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ButchA61:

Same with Virginia....  Lots and lots of NY'ers here as well.
View Quote

Most of who moved here are anti Democrats. How about you.

With the influx of communist hating NYers leaving, how will NY ever turn red? I think it is a lost cause and I am glad I left 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I agree most coming south are anti communist…

Ny will not turn in red for at least 2 generations and that’s an big if…

The rural counties need to push back and band together and change how votes are counted..  like 1 vote per county for any elected official above the county level.  So like gov gets 1 vote per county.  This allow a voice for rural counties if not the big cities will run the state..

Look at Oregon prime example and you see the rural counties want to be part oh Idaho..they have no voice .  

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Most of who moved here are anti Democrats. How about you.

With the influx of communist hating NYers leaving, how will NY ever turn red? I think it is a lost cause and I am glad I left 10 years ago.
View Quote

I'm as red, white, and blue, American pride republican as everyone else!

Grew up: Poughkeepsie area (well... a little more east, Arlington High School, Taconic State Pkwy area, etc...)
(Dad retired from IBM) Finished up HS, late 70's:  Western Adirondack Mtns where we had a lakefront 2nd home and winterized it for year-round living.

Joined US Coast Guard right after HS
Governors Island, NY City: 1980-1983 (Get me the F-- outta here!  The only good thing about NYC is Madison Square Garden (NY Rangers) and Shea Stadium/Citi Field (NY Mets)).
....here, there, all over... Great Lakes... etc...
Returned back to NY:  Buffalo, NY.  Viciously cold with 4 ft of snow at the very worst.

During my whole career, that was the only time the Coast Guard transferred me back to my "home state".  I saw NY slowly turn into a place I wished it never became, each time I came back.  Today, I have no use for NY and even though I still have immediate family, cousins, countless friends, I doubt I would ever cross over the border again.

The "New York" I grew up in, no longer exists.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I've looked at moving to PA just over the border and commuting to CNY for work it'd be about an hour, but real estate prices are insane in PA. Any properties with acreage comparable to what I have now (16) people want 400-500k or more and a lot of them don't even include gas rights.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ButchA61:

I'm as red, white, and blue, American pride republican as everyone else!

Grew up: Poughkeepsie area (well... a little more east, Arlington High School, Taconic State Pkwy area, etc...)
(Dad retired from IBM) Finished up HS, late 70's:  Western Adirondack Mtns where we had a lakefront 2nd home and winterized it for year-round living.

Joined US Coast Guard right after HS
Governors Island, NY City: 1980-1983 (Get me the F-- outta here!  The only good thing about NYC is Madison Square Garden (NY Rangers) and Shea Stadium/Citi Field (NY Mets)).
....here, there, all over... Great Lakes... etc...
Returned back to NY:  Buffalo, NY.  Viciously cold with 4 ft of snow at the very worst.

During my whole career, that was the only time the Coast Guard transferred me back to my "home state".  I saw NY slowly turn into a place I wished it never became, each time I came back.  Today, I have no use for NY and even though I still have immediate family, cousins, countless friends, I doubt I would ever cross over the border again.

The "New York" I grew up in, no longer exists.

View Quote

Agree the NY I grew up in no longer exists either
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:17:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ironshaolin:
I moved to SC 6 months ago. My final straw in NY was getting my pistol permit revoked for a year because my girlfriend was suffering from an undiagnosed skin infection. Came down here, got My SC driver's license, took the CWP course, had my carry license within 6 weeks. Finishing up an AR pistol build right now. Oh, and my mortgage including taxes is less than my rent was on an apartment in NY. I see people offering studio apartments in NY for what my mortgage costs. And it's 65 degrees in February. Last week it hit 75 one day.
View Quote
What part of NY?  My mortgage is just over $800/mo.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

What does a skin infection have to do with your fitness for a pistol permit
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:34:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yes, and how did the county or NYSP pistol permit bureau know about it?  Seems like a HIPA violation somewhere and completely irreverent.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ulyranger:

Yes, and how did the county or NYSP pistol permit bureau know about it?  Seems like a HIPA violation somewhere and completely irreverent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ulyranger:

That was settled back in 2013 with the SAFE Act. There were clear HIPAA violations in medical reporting to the State Police and the Obama administration had zero interest in pursuing it. It remains so to this day.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Unfortunately, we seem to be getting too many of the wrong kind of NYers.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#23]
They must all miss NY terrible, or they wouldn't hang out in places like this.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By cas:
They must all miss NY terrible, or they wouldn't hang out in places like this.
View Quote

Nah.

You can take someone out of ny but they are still Nyers

I come here to bust balls.. what  nyers do .
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 12:24:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By cviss:

Nah.

You can take someone out of ny but they are still Nyers

I come here to bust balls.. what  nyers do .
View Quote

Not a f@cking chance.  When I eject out of this state there is no way anyone will associate me with NY, ever.  I’ve been all over this country and no one has ever identified me as a “NYer”.  Know why?  Because I grew up and lived my entire life well north of the Tappan Zee and Progressiveism.  I’m as comfortable living as hillbilly in the southern tier as I am a bark eater in the ADKs.  Lived/worked in both places and they translate very well with other freedom loving places in this country….and we don’t have any weird accents…..
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#26]
As long as I can remember upstaters have had the saying  "You can take the asshole out of the city(NYC) but you can't take the city out of the asshole."  

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#27]
My damned lawyer moved him and his family to UT, I'm glad I left too in 2020!
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Born and raised on Long Island.   Will always consider it my home

.....but I moved the fuck out of there in 1996 and will never go back.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Moved to Nevada 35 years ago but I still had a lake house on Honoeye and other properties in Rochester for years. Finally sold everything a few years ago. I still had some financial ties in New York but liquidated everything now, so  I’am totally free of everything  there.  I still have some family there but nothing to ever tie myself to the Empire State.  It is was a total feeling of relief to be rid of any obligation or commitment.  It was like a bad marriage and a satisfying divorce.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:23:29 AM EDT
[#30]
I am in NY right now. Grew up here and have family and friends. I will never come back.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Remember when we had prominent members in this sub forum who always castigated those who wished to leave NY as weak and traitors for not staying to "fight"?   That sure died down.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#32]
 Still here and likely not leaving till they throw dirt on me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By MPi-KMS-72:
Remember when we had prominent members in this sub forum who always castigated those who wished to leave NY as weak and traitors for not staying to "fight"?   That sure died down.
View Quote
Even if you want to stay and fight, in retirement it makes no sense at all. New York ranks #2 in tax burden behind Hawaii. The total tax bill including income, property and sales taxes falls just under Hawaii. The report also noted that many states without an income tax are not that much better because they have other means to get that revenue (Tennessee for example). Oddly New Hampshire faired very well in low tax burden and they do not have an income tax.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:32:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Aardvark: The report also noted that many states without an income tax are not that much better because they have other means to get that revenue (Tennessee for example).
View Quote

What are Tennessee's other means to get that revenue?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:45:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ken55] [#35]
Originally Posted By Zero6:

What are Tennessee's other means to get that revenue?
View Quote

They have 9.75% sales tax and tax about 6% on food. They manage their money much better and that is how they do it. The property tax for the most part makes NY look like a crime which basically is what it is. Was thinking about moving back to home town NY but decided to stay in Tennessee. Get to keep my rifles and don't need a pistol permit if you are not a felon.  I am an everyday citizen here but would be a criminal in NY just because of what I legally own here. Weather is better also. But there are people here that do not care for northerners, NY politicians make us that move out look bad. I keep my mouth shut and walk away. I moved out in 2018.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ken55:

They have 9.75% sales tax and tax about 6% on food. They manage their money much better and that is how they do it. The property tax for the most part makes NY look like a crime which basically is what it is. Was thinking about moving back to home town NY but decided to stay in Tennessee. Get to keep my rifles and don't need a pistol permit if you are not a felon.  I am an everyday citizen here but would be a criminal in NY just because of what I legally own here. Weather is better also. But there are people here that do not care for northerners, NY politicians make us that move out look bad. I keep my mouth shut and walk away. I moved out in 2018.
View Quote

Thanks. I thought they got all that money back with the zero miles of toll roads in the state
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 6:18:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cowboyrick] [#37]
NY liberals make me sick to my stomach.  I loved growing up in NY in the Cattskill Mountains.  I spent most of my time hunting and fishing.  Loved striped bass fishing on the Hudson. Had a carry pistol permit, made sure all my ar15s and ak47s complied with the 94 assault weapons ban, and tried to follow all the rules. The safe act ended it for me. That was the point i realized NY was a lost cause and i ultimately needed to leave. Any real change in NY politics is going to require much more than peaceful protesting.

In 2017 I moved to PA. 5 years after safe act. Immediately purchased my first suppressor.  Got my carry license in 2 weeks. Built an SBR. I truly started enjoying shooting and guns the way i wanted too without any fear. Eventually last year i got my FFL/SOT. I make enough money selling guns and suppressors to support my personal shooting hobby. Purchased a machine gun in 2018. Will be heading to a machine gun shoot next weekend.  Spending time with other gun nerds enjoying myself as a free citizen.

It wasnt easy moving to another state. We will likely be moving again to SC before the end of the year due to a job offer for my wife. I know that wont be easy either but i welcome it with open arms. Life is WAY to short to live it under the thumb of some godless politician. Take your talents, your values,  and all other good qualities you possess and bring them to a state that welcomes you and appreciates you! Leave the politicians of NY to fend for themselves.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#38]
@cowboyrick

Where in the Catskills were you from? I grew up in Greene County and lived most of my life there. I worked all around Greene, Delaware, Schoharie and Ulster counties. Also, where are you moving in SC? I can't say I have any regrets. However, it is getting too crowded near Myrtle Beach and surrounding areas.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Bushman_269:
 Still here and likely not leaving till they throw dirt on me.
View Quote

If that's all it takes give us an address and we'll come throw dirt at you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top