Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2024 10:19:45 AM EDT
My daughter is moving to IL soon for a couple of years and attending college.   She'll keep her primary residence here with us (TN).    

Are there any restrictions (such as FOID) for her to have a firearm in her home or transport?   She'll have a TN conceal carry permit but I know there isn't reciprocity there.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Prae:
My daughter is moving to IL soon for a couple of years and attending college.   She'll keep her primary residence here with us (TN).    

Are there any restrictions (such as FOID) for her to have a firearm in her home or transport?   She'll have a TN conceal carry permit but I know there isn't reciprocity there.

Thanks!
View Quote

She can keep the pistol loaded in her car with her out of state permit.

I'm not sure how Illinois would view residence for a student.

She can not get an FOID if she is out of state resident but she doesnt need one in that case.

Pretty sure she will not be able to buy pistol ammo so bring enough.

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARMALITE-FAN:

She can keep the pistol loaded in her car with her out of state permit.

I'm not sure how Illinois would view residence for a student.

She can not get an FOID if she is out of state resident but she doesnt need one in that case.

Pretty sure she will not be able to buy pistol ammo so bring enough.

View Quote
Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The biggest issue your daughter will face will be if she lives on campus.  If she lives off campus, the school administrators won't have anything to say about having a firearm in her living quarters.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By CharlieD308:
The biggest issue your daughter will face will be if she lives on campus.  If she lives off campus, the school administrators won't have anything to say about having a firearm in her living quarters.
View Quote
It's off campus.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#5]
One thing is to make sure that the out of state permit still applies if they consider her a resident of Illinois.

I would ask the school. I take you are paying out of state rates ?

My sons legal address is my house his mail comes there. Car insurance says he lives here. He lives one town over in an apartment but this is considerd his legal address. I think student can have a legal address other than the school. I would check on this.

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ARMALITE-FAN:
One thing is to make sure that the out of state permit still applies if they consider her a resident of Illinois.

I would ask the school. I take you are paying out of state rates ?

My son's legal address is my house his mail comes there. Car insurance says he lives here. He lives one town over in an apartment but this is considerd his legal address. I think student can have a legal address other than the school. I would check on this.

View Quote

Out of state and yes her address will remain here.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Brave man, sending your daughter into a hive of peak leftist brainwashing.  I live here and I'm looking for out of state colleges, seen too many women's lives obliterated by falling in with the crazies at colleges here.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#8]
If she's in Lake or Cook, those are the only counties enforcing the gun ban/registry. Any other county "should" be relatively ok with firearms.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sowinskian:
Brave man, sending your daughter into a hive of peak leftist brainwashing.  I live here and I'm looking for out of state colleges, seen too many women's lives obliterated by falling in with the crazies at colleges here.
View Quote
She'll be fine.   Already has her BS and headed for more education.   Was raised conservative and red pilled as hell.   LOL.  She'll be ok.

Just don't talk politics w/ her.  She'll gut you like a fish. (humblebrag).  LOL
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#11]
https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Faq.aspx

Who needs a FOID Card?
Are there exemptions to the requirement of having a FOID Card?
Yes. The FOID Act outlines the following exemptions.
United States Marshals, while engaged in the operation of their official duties.
Members of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard, while engaged in the operation of their official duties.
Federal officials required to carry firearms, while engaged in the operation of their official duties.
Members of bona fide veteran's organizations which receive firearms directly from the armed forces of the United States, while using the firearms for ceremonial purposes with blank ammunition.
Nonresident hunters during hunting season, with valid nonresident hunting licenses and while in an area where hunting is permitted.
Nonresidents while on a firing or shooting range recognized by the Department of State Police.
Nonresidents while at a firearm showing or display recognized by the Department of State Police.
Nonresidents whose firearms are unloaded and enclosed in a case.
Nonresidents who are currently licensed or registered to possess a firearm in their resident state.
Un-emancipated minors while in the custody and immediate control of their parent or legal guardian and the parent or legal guardian currently has a valid FOID card.
Color guards of bona fide veteran's organizations or members of bona fide American Legion bands while using firearms for ceremonial purposes with blank ammunition.
Nonresident hunters whose state of residence does not require them to be licensed or registered to possess a firearm and only during hunting season. The nonresident must have a valid hunting license and be accompanied by and be using a firearm owned by, a person who possesses a valid FOID card. This is allowed only while in an area within a commercial club licensed under the Wildlife Code where hunting is permitted and controlled, but in no instance upon sites owned or managed by the Department of Natural Resources.
Resident hunters who are properly authorized to hunt and, while accompanied by a person who possesses a valid FOID card, hunt in an area within a commercial club licensed under the Wildlife Code where hunting is permitted.
View Quote

Assuming we are talking about a pistol with mags that fall under the AWB limit, and she has a TN CCL, and the firearm is unloaded and cased while moving from the vehicle to abode, she should be OK.

IL allows non-residents to carry in their vehicle if they have a CCL from their home state.  If it leaves the vehicle it needs to be unloaded and cased.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#12]
She can also get a non resident cc permit.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 12:20:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:
She can also get a non resident cc permit.
View Quote

Not from TN.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 2:20:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MisterPX:

Not from TN.
View Quote

I meant a IL cc permit.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:

I meant a IL cc permit.
View Quote

A tn resident can not get an IL non resident permission slip
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks gang.  Much appreciated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top