Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2022 6:27:20 PM EDT
I'm currently working for a large fortune 100 company in the Dallas area.
Everyone would recognize the name if I gave it. My wife hates Texas and asked me to look for a job overseas. She likes to travel and wants to be somewhere more exciting.

I approached my current management and they have offered to let me basically keep my current job that I like and do the work from the UK instead of US. I would be working for the same management which I also like.  

Today we finally got to the point of talking real numbers. HR says they would need to adjust my pay downward by 20% because the cost of living is lower in the UK.  Is it really cheaper?  How much do you need to live comfortably in London and still be able to travel to Europe and enjoy your life? I'm 60 years old and my wife is 52 if that makes a difference.

I do think I can get a relocation package if they are adjusting my pay that much which would definitely help the first year.

The kids are grown and the youngest only has 16 months left of University. Part of me really wants to jump on this and go have fun. But part of me is worrying what I am missing or not considering.

I leave for a two week vacation in Africa tomorrow evening so I may not respond right away to anyone's post but thanks in advance for any advice.

I
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 5:44:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mmamonster] [#1]
Dont take this the wrong way but why would you want to leave the land of the free and go to London ?
I have only been to dfw texas once, i have been to london 100"s of times ( with work and football matches)
London is a shithole, full of crime, which you cant defend yourself against  ( or you would be in the wrong )
The weather is miserable,  the tube is a hell hole.
I wouldnt like to spend a week there to be honest. If i was you i would have a vacation there around November time, dont do the tourist things, take it as a working holiday see how you like it.
You would be giving up a great country for a terrible one.
Its my opinion on this, if i had the chance to live my life where you are i would.

£120,000 - £150,000 year

Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 12:12:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TomB7777] [#2]
Thanks Mart. I've lived in China. Lived in US for many years.
Looking for the next big adventure now that the kids are out of
the house.

We like to travel. Just got back from 16 day trip to Kenya,
Tanzania and South Africa. Was in Portugal in March.  I
was just on a call with a managing director from my company
who is finishing up a job assignment in London. His family
visited 10 different European countries in 12 months. I am
hoping for a similar experience.

My boss did tell me yesterday that they would work with me to
move my position to the UK but would also be glad to have me
back in US any time I want. So if it does really suck I should be
able to return to US and work if I want to.

Thanks for the salary information. I will have to take a pay cut to
move but it sounds like we should still be in good shape.
Tom
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi Tom,

If you do make the move and you have time to travel  around England let me know, we could meet up and i will take you shooting.

Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By TomB7777:
I'm currently working for a large fortune 100 company in the Dallas area.
Everyone would recognize the name if I gave it. My wife hates Texas and asked me to look for a job overseas. She likes to travel and wants to be somewhere more exciting.

I approached my current management and they have offered to let me basically keep my current job that I like and do the work from the UK instead of US. I would be working for the same management which I also like.  

Today we finally got to the point of talking real numbers. HR says they would need to adjust my pay downward by 20% because the cost of living is lower in the UK.  Is it really cheaper?  How much do you need to live comfortably in London and still be able to travel to Europe and enjoy your life? I'm 60 years old and my wife is 52 if that makes a difference.

I do think I can get a relocation package if they are adjusting my pay that much which would definitely help the first year.

The kids are grown and the youngest only has 16 months left of University. Part of me really wants to jump on this and go have fun. But part of me is worrying what I am missing or not considering.

I leave for a two week vacation in Africa tomorrow evening so I may not respond right away to anyone's post but thanks in advance for any advice.

I
View Quote

having lived in both countries, the cost of living is significantly higher in the UK. HR are either ignorant of the facts or they're trying to low ball you
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I hear what you're saying but every expat thread I read says expect to have your salary adjusted down if relocating from US to UK.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Fourays2:
having lived in both countries, the cost of living is significantly higher in the UK. HR are either ignorant of the facts or they're trying to low ball you
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL
Pay cut?  
Your boss is trying to screw your.

London is #4

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/world-most-expensive-cities-2022-intl-hnk/index.html
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Late to the party, but:

Is COL in the UK lower than in the Dallas area?  

If you're living in Luton....yeah, sure.

If you're living in Lanarkshire.....probably.

If you're living in/near London....hell to the naw-naw.  London is NYC/LA money.  Approaching SF-level COL, if you spend time (shopping, dining, theatre, etc) in the nice parts of town.  Easily a 30-35% COL increase.

HR is either mistaken or gaslighting you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Brits who work for a UK national organisation, would generally get some form of 'London Allowance' on top of their regular salary to offset the higher COL in The Smoke..... A lot choose to live outside the M25 and commute.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 8:59:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ctgunner] [#9]
Interesting discussion here. I checked into the UK page and stumbled on this.  I have lived in the UK too, and I specialize in compensation & rewards.  I am not from the US or the UK originally, but I would pick the US over the UK any day of the week.

Now as to the original question, it all depends on the terms and conditions of your job.  If they localize your job in the UK than means you will be offered local market pay.  And when it comes to local market pay, compensation in the US beats compensation in UK every time.  There is just no comparison.  A software engineer can make 150K USD here and for the same job he will make 80K GBP there.  Purchasing power is much higher in the US.  If you receive medical/vacation benefits, which everyone who works for corporations receives then you are better off in the US.

The UK only beats the US in cost of living when you are a really low earner, and by the sound of it you seem to be upper middle class.  

I would only consider living in the UK (again) if I was offered an EXPAT assignment.  This means the company would have to guarantee equal COL and purchasing power between the two countries.  This usually means you get extra allowances, stipend for housing, etc etc.  

And let me say this, even if I made the same money in the US and UK, I would still pick the US because I love my guns and my 2A. Over there you won't be able to own anything.  But if you care about travel and such, then OK, it's your call.  Just remember the key difference is expat vs. localized employment.  Try to get the expat deal (much more expensive for the employer)
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Were I in OP’s shoes, I’d do it - nothing wrong with trying for a year or two.  The post above is right on the money re local market compensation in EU vs US.  Still, you benefit from staying with your current employer, an easy visa process, and presumably a Fortune 100 company’s expertise at tax treaties, healthcare, and the ability to unwind your decision and come back home…

London’s expensive, no doubt, but as they say there, “inshallah”
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mmamonster:
Dont take this the wrong way but why would you want to leave the land of the free and go to London ?
I have only been to dfw texas once, i have been to london 100"s of times ( with work and football matches)
London is a shithole, full of crime, which you cant defend yourself against  ( or you would be in the wrong )
The weather is miserable,  the tube is a hell hole.
I wouldnt like to spend a week there to be honest. If i was you i would have a vacation there around November time, dont do the tourist things, take it as a working holiday see how you like it.
You would be giving up a great country for a terrible one.
Its my opinion on this, if i had the chance to live my life where you are i would.

£120,000 - £150,000 year

Atb
Mart
View Quote
American Translation: New York City Suburbs.
Double it if you try Manhattan.

Lived in Da Bronx, Queens and Nassau County, Once Upon a Time.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#12]
This information is very dated, but I think using the Bay Area or better parts of NYC is a good start, but not the complete story.

1) Expect a significant premium based upon VAT/exchange rates alone on things like petrol/food/alcohol. Anywhere from 30%-50% for starters.

2) Commuting into the M25 might save you on housing, but you'll pay a considerable cost in time and the commute itself will be a non-trivial expense. I think even now you'll be paying 20 quid for a round trip from Huntingdon (a hour north of London in likely the cheapest direction). So 5-7k a year for a one hour express train ride to Kings Cross, then tube or walk.

3) Travel, especially to the continent or within 737 range, IS cheaper for now within Europe.

My assessment is that you'd need at least 100% to maintain your QOL with DFW. Most expats settle for far less as outside the extremes, your QOL along most income levels will be pretty similar. Also, as you note, you'll have good access to Africa, if that's your flavor of travel, though I bet not a huge savings in cost to do so. The good news in you aren't losing time traveling east/west.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top