Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2024 1:04:07 PM EDT
Curious how the weather is impacting turnout. Any news from on the ground?
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 8:19:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Media outlets are reporting Suozzi won flipping a Republican seat to Demoncrap.  The messaging was terrible for the Repub candidate based upon the awful commercials I saw.  Scuzzi with his garbage can ad blew away her illegal alien ICE message.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I voted at 4:30pm and was voter 169 at my small polling place. Workers said it was a good turnout for a special election and surprising considering the lousy weather. Yes I voted for Suozzi. Last time I voted for Santos. But I noted a month ago in another thread here I was certain Suozzi was going to win decisively. He ran the better campaign. Was a known quantity and I was seeing his signs on the lawns of traditionally Republican households around here. The local GOP has had its head up its a$$ for so long they are completely out of touch with even their own constituents (same thing happened in the early 2000's). What they were thinking running an unknown legislator, who was a Democrat for many years, with no real resume is beyond me. They could have asked County Executive Blakeman or Town of Oyster Bay Supervisor Saladino to take a run and I would have considered voting for them. But this was a clusterf_ck of epic proportions on the Republican side.

Other thing to remember, there is another election for this seat in November. The Republicans have a few months to find a better candidate to run for the seat. Suozzi basically has nine months to do anything as a member of the minority party in congress.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Aardvark:
Yes I voted for Suozzi.
View Quote

Curious, why vote at all?

As I understand it Suozzi is no friend to gun owners and one of his ads took a shot at her for supporting gun rights.
Was the ad about him kicking ICE out of Nassau true?
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CTM1:

Curious, why vote at all?

As I understand it Suozzi is no friend to gun owners and one of his ads took a shot at her for supporting gun rights.
Was the ad about him kicking ICE out of Nassau true?
View Quote
I voted because they still let me do it

Suozzi is definitely anti-gun. No doubt about it. Of course Pilip is a big unknown being an obscure county legislator who was a Democrat for a long time until switching to run for political office. Honestly no idea where she truly stands. Perhaps she would just take her voting orders from party leaders but no one really knows, because, she is an unknown and has no real resume. Suozzi, as I noted, is anti-2A and there is a solid record of that. Of course with our downstate New York Republicans, they talk a good pro-2A game and then either ignore us or outright turn on us when they get a chance to so voting 2A here is not that high a priority for me because neither party makes that big a difference. Remember it was Republicans in the State Senate that made it possible for Cuomo to get his SAFE Act.

As for the ICE issue, I really never sorted that out. I came to the conclusion that it was something along the lines of John Kerry's "I voted for it before I voted against it" The clip they were showing of him saying he kicked out ICE was older and appeared to be from his time as Nassau County Executive which ran from 2002 to 2009 (the early days of ICE's existence and during the Bush II years). His congressional record did show a change of heart in that regard and in the time after he served as County Executive, it became apparent that we were getting overrun due to Obama's policies.

Anyhow, he only holds this office until January 2025. He still has to run in November for a full two year term and the Republicans have another chance to try and get it right this time. One sticky point is NY-3 is getting redistricted again (https://www.nyirc.gov/storage/plans/20240215/congressional_plan.pdf ) and is pushing out the strong Republican enclaves (Massapequa) on the south shore of the island which may make it again a solidly blue district. The state legislature has to approve it and I am sure Democrat majority will be happy with the Long Island changes but I suspect upstate New York is about to get redrawn yet again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top