Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2024 5:35:43 PM EDT
What would you guys do or is this a don't bother situation?

We bought our house in 2020, we have a receipt showing the septic tank was inspected and approved the same month we moved in. The ground above the tank was undisturbed and clearly never been dug for an inspection. Fast forward to today and we call to have our rank pumped. Septic guy says that parts are broken, the tank doesn't meet code and it requires repairs equaling almost $4k.

There's zero way they actually inspected the tank and plumbing without digging it up and yet they said it passed inspection.  Is this something that we should be going after the inspector for or should we accept we got screwed by a crooked inspector and move on? Or is there some other option?
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn.  Sorry to hear this. Tagging for the discussion.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Is your septic system a standard system with a tank and field lines and it drains into the lines by gravity or is it an Aerobic system that uses a blower to aerate the tank and then a pump to empty into the field lines? If it is the latter type system, you would have a small electrical panel box on the house, close to the tank.

I have the aerobic system and had to spend over 5k to get mine back up and running. Not many companies out there know how to properly deal with this type of system.

If you have a standard system, I would get another company to evaluate it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 8:43:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brandi] [#3]
It's a standard system. They just finished the repairs so no chance of getting anyone else to look at it.

The company that the previous homeowner said he used for septic refused to return our calls when we initially wanted to get it pumped before we knew it was borked.  Kind of makes me wonder if they were involved because they likely would have been the ones who did all the half ass work on the tank.

We didn't have any choice other than have it fixed immediately.  I just don't know if there's any way to recoup the money.  The repair guy did say "there is absolutely no way this would have passed an inspection".  What a mess, figuratively and literally 😞.

It really sucks because soon after we moved in the entire HVAC system died and cost several thousand dollars for a new system.  Can't seem to win...
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Might be worth it to reach out to the Closing Attorney that did your closing. See if they can offer any possible suggestions on going after the Inspector and or the septic company that signed off on it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GlockSpeed31:
Might be worth it to reach out to the Closing Attorney that did your closing. See if they can offer any possible suggestions on going after the Inspector and or the septic company that signed off on it.
View Quote

Closing attorney only represents the lender and only for financials.

Most home inspectors do not impress me. They miss obvious things then make a big deal of nothings.

Unless you hired an inspector specifically for the septic system, you likely have no recourse.

The general home inspectors only do a visual "yep, it's there" and call it done. They guarantee nothing.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 10:50:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack-of-Hearts] [#6]
Originally Posted By Brandi:
What would you guys do or is this a don't bother situation?

We bought our house in 2020, we have a receipt showing the septic tank was inspected and approved the same month we moved in. The ground above the tank was undisturbed and clearly never been dug for an inspection. Fast forward to today and we call to have our rank pumped. Septic guy says that parts are broken, the tank doesn't meet code and it requires repairs equaling almost $4k.

There's zero way they actually inspected the tank and plumbing without digging it up and yet they said it passed inspection.  Is this something that we should be going after the inspector for or should we accept we got screwed by a crooked inspector and move on? Or is there some other option?
View Quote

1.  When was the date of the inspection report in 2020?

2.  Check the applicable limitations period provided by Georgia law (statute of limitations).

3.  Check the agreement/contract between the home inspector and yourself to see if you agreed to a different deadline for pursuing claims against them.

4.  This is not legal advice.  I cannot provide you with any answers to these questions.  Sorry.  Good luck.

5.  Call an attorney.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By KoolOperator:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KoolOperator:
Originally Posted By GlockSpeed31:

If the Lender required a Clear Septic Inspection as a contingency upon closing and the inspector and or septic company falsely stated it was fine, then the Lender could go back after the Inspector and the Septic company for fraud.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll have to double check but as we understand it right now, a septic tank inspection was required for the sale.  I'll have to look at the receipt to get the date of the supposed inspection. The receipt shows a septic tank inspection was done prior to closing, the price was $350. I'll get the details when I get a chance and see what y'all think.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Septic Tanks inspection is done by septic company. Not home inspector. They ain't digging up to look in with extra monies paid.

Parts wear. What is broken or needs repair?
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Did you or someone go out n let them show you damage to septic?
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#11]
A septic inspection is separate from a home inspection. Should be two different invoices. A septic inspection is just pumping it out and looking at the parts. Typically you need to do that every few years, and they will recommend any repairs at that time, but you can't perfectly predict when things will go bad.

If it was pumped and inspected in 2020, most septic places would say that you were due for a pump and inspection in 2023.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Never heard of any recommendations for 3 yr. Back in 2001 they told me 8-10. Then in 13 when I bought my second home. They said 5. With a one daughter n two adults. 5 year was a little early. Could have went 7-8 yrs. I was also on septic pump. Only issue I had was Dillo dug up my lid to my box that directed flow to chamber lines. N was getting poop water in yard. Almost cost 4k to get new lines. I went out n clean around edge of that box n got it snap back shut.

Side story. Being young n dumb. I never had my first tank pump. It was like 12 years. N literally two inches from clogging my pipe from the house. Had it inspected for me to sale. Almost a crappy mess. Lmao
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By dawggs4:
Never heard of any recommendations for 3 yr. Back in 2001 they told me 8-10. Then in 13 when I bought my second home. They said 5. With a one daughter n two adults. 5 year was a little early. Could have went 7-8 yrs. I was also on septic pump. Only issue I had was Dillo dug up my lid to my box that directed flow to chamber lines. N was getting poop water in yard. Almost cost 4k to get new lines. I went out n clean around edge of that box n got it snap back shut.

Side story. Being young n dumb. I never had my first tank pump. It was like 12 years. N literally two inches from clogging my pipe from the house. Had it inspected for me to sale. Almost a crappy mess. Lmao
View Quote

Local ordinances can change too. Near where I live the local Water & Sewer Authority somehow mandated that every home and business with septic in the Dog River basin have their tank pumped every 5 years maximum. They require proof of pumping or they will disconnect water service.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

Local ordinances can change too. Near where I live the local Water & Sewer Authority somehow mandated that every home and business with septic in the Dog River basin have their tank pumped every 5 years maximum. They require proof of pumping or they will disconnect water service.
View Quote

Sounds like political gains ($) thru septic companies.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#17]
We bought our house in 2020, we have a receipt showing the septic tank was inspected and approved the same month we moved in. The ground above the tank was undisturbed and clearly never been dug for an inspection.

Undisturbed when? You noticed it back then?

Do you have photographs of that time frame that are easily verifiable/provable as to a time/date showing this?

There's no way, absent prior photographic documentation or proof, the ground wasn't disturbed four years ago.

Is it possible a visual was done via camera through the clean out outlet?

What specifically is "broken"? Is it the interior baffle?

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By southerncross:
I've had two houses with septic tanks. Never had to pump. Never had to do anything. I put a box of Rid X in each month and that's it. I guess we've been lucky. We also flush the "flushable" wipes everyone says you can't flush or your septic tank will go nuclear. I keep waiting for the emergency pump out. Maybe soon? Who knows.
View Quote

My wife flushed those... after seven years, it looked like a thick quilt at the surface of my tank. They are not flushable. I'm quite certain it led to the loss of a couple years on my drain field due to biomat.

It's wise to pump every five years whether "needed" or not.

Three or so years ago I had my drain field replaced, new codes resulted in a drain field almost three times in size from construction back in 2003. I got about seventeen years of use, which according to the septic man, wasn't bad considering the amount of water/use we had along with soaps, bleach, etc. Basically my kids and grandkids resulted in the wife running laundry non-stop for YEARS.

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:

My wife flushed those... after seven years, it looked like a thick quilt at the surface of my tank. They are not flushable. I'm quite certain it led to the loss of a couple years on my drain field due to biomat.

It's wise to pump every five years whether "needed" or not.

Three or so years ago I had my drain field replaced, new codes resulted in a drain field almost three times in size from construction back in 2003. I got about seventeen years of use, which according to the septic man, wasn't bad considering the amount of water/use we had along with soaps, bleach, etc. Basically my kids and grandkids resulted in the wife running laundry non-stop for YEARS.

View Quote

I agree with the 5 yr. That will keep you ahead of any issues. And if u have a pump, pay the extra to get it checked n looked at.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Somebody's family owns the local pump service.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Sounds like political gains ($) thru septic companies.

Somebody's family owns the local pump service.

It sure looks that way, the WSA out here has more power than they should IMO. They started trying to "tax" rural landowners with wells and septic that aren't plugged in to the WSA's supply line for storm water management. I refuse to pay it since they aren't a legal taxing authority as defined in the state constitution and they provide no service or benefit to me.  Any storm water that falls on my place goes about 100 yards and leaves the county anyway.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Did you or someone go out n let them show you damage to septic?
View Quote

Yeah, they made sure to show us everything that was messed up before they touched it.  My sister dealt with most of it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:
We bought our house in 2020, we have a receipt showing the septic tank was inspected and approved the same month we moved in. The ground above the tank was undisturbed and clearly never been dug for an inspection.

Undisturbed when? You noticed it back then?

Do you have photographs of that time frame that are easily verifiable/provable as to a time/date showing this?

There's no way, absent prior photographic documentation or proof, the ground wasn't disturbed four years ago.

Is it possible a visual was done via camera through the clean out outlet?

What specifically is "broken"? Is it the interior baffle?

View Quote

I'd have to ask my sister, she was the one that dealt with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top