Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2023 4:43:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Devildog]
Moving to MD with an AR (M-4 carbine style) and an AK. Both legally owned in another state since 2012. Can these legally be brought into MD and registered?

What about a 1950s dated Russian SKS with its original 10 rd. fixed mag? Importable? Must be registered?

I've heard and read that ARs have to be either grandfathered from before 2013 or an HBAR style. My buddy in MD tells me "everyone has ARs of all kinds, carbines, etc..." Even in the gun stores. Seems contrary to what the law says.

I feel like the only way to make sense of this is to hire a 2A attorney in MD to explain everything.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:14:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eshell] [#1]
Originally Posted By 1Devildog:
Moving to MD with an AR (M-4 carbine style) and an AK. Both legally owned in another state since 2012. Can these legally be brought into MD and registered?
View Quote
I'm not clear on the AK, but I don't think it can be 'imported' into MD at this time.

This MAY help you sort things out: https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

The AR-15 must be an HBAR style _OR_ owned/possessed in MD prior to the law going into effect.

Neither must "registered" upon moving to MD. Handguns are supposed to be "voluntarily registered" within 30 days of moving into the state, long guns now fall into one of two categories: "Exempt" or "Prohibited/Banned".
What about a 1950s dated Russian SKS with its original 10 rd. fixed mag? Importable? Must be registered?
View Quote
Importable? Yes
Register? No.
I've heard and read that ARs have to be either grandfathered from before 2013 or an HBAR style.
View Quote
With certain exceptions, this is true.
My buddy in MD tells me "everyone has ARs of all kinds, carbines, etc..."
View Quote
This is also true. The law is almost unenforceable due to the grandfathering in of older non-HBAR rifles...ALMOST. I know of no one stopped at a range or elsewhere to have their rifle checked for date of manufacture or a bill of sale stating 'pre-2013', or any other proof of exemption. As a new resident, you will be unable to claim any sort of grandfathering and must adhere to current restrictions.
Even in the gun stores.
View Quote
FFLs must abide by state and federal law and will not be selling non-HBAR AR-15s UNLESS they are not .223/5.56x45 caliber. Other calibers are exempt for this restriction.
Seems contrary to what the law says.
View Quote
There are so many nuances in the law, it seems both intentional ambiguity and an effort to make things so convoluted as to discourage legit ownership and foster fear.
I feel like the only way to make sense of this is to hire a 2A attorney in MD to explain everything.
View Quote
While expensive and admittedly excessive, this is probably your very safest approach.

Check your IMs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top