Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2023 3:30:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Britbike2001]
Greetings,

I'm looking to have two things done and don't mind going to two separate places if the skill sets are right:
1) Removing the castle nut and flash hider off of my M1A, then installing my threaded adapter for my suppressor.  Those frickin things are on VERY tight and I don't want to break anything,  I have tried everything I can think of to hold the rifle and apply force to the parts, to no avail.

2) Threading my Nylon 66 barrel so I can put my suppressor on it.  So looking forwards to 22LR suppressed.

Southern NH works too as I'm in the Berwicks.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 6:39:04 PM EDT
[#1]
A little update:

First Freedom LLC in Lebanon is my go to guy for NFA items as well as specialty odds and ends.  I cannot recommend Josh enough.  Great guy, full of good information, open about everything.  Please visit his place if you can.

He's never sold himself as a gunsmith but I went by today and in no time he sorted out my muzzle device issue.  Turns out my problem was a (my) misunderstanding of the set screw and castle nut system on the M1A.  

Just got back from my first suppressed M1A session, and am a happy camper.  Time to re-sight the rifle though and continue hunting for an adjustable gas block.

Barrel threading, however, is still on the list of to do's.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Josh at First Freedom is AWESOME! He always treats me really well (and insider secret - thus far always has the BEST price on Holosun - beats online pricing). His consignment fee is minimal and he's a wealth of knowledge. While I tend to frequent New Hobbs in Acton more, I can't recommend Josh enough.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I wanted to shout out to one of our members (I'll let him identify himself, or remain unnamed) who reached out to me offering to thread my barrel.  After much time, I finally had the time to go visit him, see his nice shop and get to know him a little bit more.

What a nice guy.  My visit was very enjoyable and it really reminds me that we have great people around here and as good as online groups are, in person is so much better.

I am thankful for the all the good folks here at AR15.com.  I have learned a lot from many different people and have had the opportunity to meet a few good ones in person.

All in all a good community and I wanted to take a moment to voice my appreciation.

The Mainers are the best of course.  By leaps and bounds.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I met up with our common friend today and brought my beautifully threaded Nylon 66 home.  The threads are excellent and the relief on the the end of threads makes for perfect alignment and seating of the suppressor.  Reassembling this gun is not easy.  You need three hands at one point but I did eventually pull it off.

At the moment, I only have my Obsidian 45 to thread on (I have a Nomad L but no adapter to put it on these threads), with a piston too, but wow, what an amazing difference!  So nice with supers and much like a pellet gun with subs.

Eventually I'll get my Odessa in hand (been seven months waiting for approval right now) and I'll give that a go. It should be even better than the Obsidian.  I really need to order a 22 can now and fully enjoy the caliber.

I'm not going to share names here but if anyone wants some threading or other machining services done, please contact me and I'll forward your information to our friend.  

Not meaning to be evasive, but the internet is not a great place to share personal information.  I'm sure you all can understand.  In person relationships are where the trust is built, and I'll help

Sorry about the upside down pictures.  I cannot seem to get them fixed.

facilitateAttachment Attached File
that.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top