Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2024 6:57:56 PM EDT
Anyone live in Ga and work in Alabama? How does tax filing work? Several long years ago I worked in AL for about a month and seems like I had to pay Al tax on that $$ and Ga made me pay taxes on that same money earned.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:34:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KoolOperator] [#1]
Individual Income Tax Instruction Booklet.
https://dor.georgia.gov/it-511-individual-income-tax-booklet
Contains 500 and 500EZ Forms and General Instructions.

Page 24

WORKSHEET FOR OTHER STATES TAX CREDIT

If the job in Alabama withheld Alabama taxes, the "other state tax credit" would be how you don't pay tax on it again to Georgia.

Added fun, you might have to complete an Alabama non-resident tax return, depending on how much you earned and if you are owed a refund from them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I went through this for 3 years working in Missouri as a Georgia resident, are you married? GA gave credit for taxes paid to mo but I had to also do a non resident return for mo. I ran into issues with TurboTax putting my wife's income in ga on the non resident mo return and had to do paper forms for mo.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I would be ok with filing in 2 states I just wanted to be sure I would not be paying full tax rates to both states(paying double). If I get Ga credit for taxes paid to Al that is good. I'm looking at a job in Al that's why I'm asking.
Thanks again!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top