Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2023 8:43:30 PM EDT
Link

Audit Report

A new audit of Georgia's Film Tax Credit program found that the state "loses money" on the program. A lot of money, actually: about $160,000 for every job the program creates. Georgia is now spending about $1.3 billion annually on the program, but it generates a return on investment of just 19 cents per dollar, the auditors conclude.

"This program should be halted immediately," J.C. Bradbury, an economics professor at Georgia's Kennesaw State University and a longtime critic of government subsidy schemes, posted on X (formerly Twitter). In a 2020 paper, Bradbury estimated that the state's film tax credit program cost about $110,000 per full-time job created and that every Georgia household was on the hook for about $230 in additional taxes every year because of the program's existence.

In addition to highlighting the tax credit program's costs, the new audit also suggests that the film industry has inflated the supposed benefits of the program. Georgia's film tax credit is responsible for creating about 34,000 jobs annually in the state, according to the new audit, but that's well short of the 59,700 annual job-creation figure that a recent industry-funded study claimed, reported Variety.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
My shocked face
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Allowing these clowns into this state from the word go was a mistake.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 11:27:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Was hoping those clowns would leave when they got all worked up over the state abortion changes the other year.

Guess the money was too good, as usual.

End corporate welfare.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 5:28:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Does this mean Tyler Perry will have to film movies somewhere else??
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#6]
What percentage to the "big guy" Governor? He should be rich enough off Dominion.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a minor speaking role in four scenes of an alien horror flick which is currently scheduled to begin shooting in March.

I'm not getting paid so don't get pissed when I'm accepting my academy award.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Should look into what Cali charges. Do about 50% of that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Some of those jobs the film industry does create are low paying extra jobs and short term.  Some outside catering jobs are not long term either. Then you have the union jobs which are basically a closed shop with only established members getting work.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 4:59:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dawggs4:
Should look into what Cali charges. Do about 50% of that.
View Quote

Even doing the same as Cali would be an improvement.

Link Posted: 12/21/2023 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#11]
The state would be a lot less of a swing state within a few years if we pushed them out. I'd be happy to see them go.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By manderson1911:
View Quote

Senioa is a prime example. Nice little town south of atlanta. Nobody really went there for anything. Fried Green Tomatoes was filmed there. Other than that nothing. Then The Talking Walking Dead. Now the whole area has exploded and housing is basically unaffordable for the average person.

A guy I know that lives around there was hoping the end of filming would stop the stupid. IT didn't.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Shut it down, and hopefully some of the leftist twats will go home as well.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By birdbarian:
Shut it down, and hopefully some of the leftist twats will go home as well.
View Quote

Wishful thinking. Coming from NY or CA to GA is like escaping from Cuba to S. FL. Difference is, the Cubans appreciate the freedoms and opportunities while our transplants bitch about “how it was done back in X.”
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Kemp was dumb for pushing it............he was warned repeatedly
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 12:37:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coffin-Nail] [#17]
Originally Posted By cyclone:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Deal is the reason Hollywood is in GA.

ETA: I should clarify Perdue started them and Deal pushed them hard enough that Hollywood started moving in while killing things like RIFRA and campus carry to please the left.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:

ETA: I should clarify Perdue started them and Deal pushed them hard enough that Hollywood started moving in while killing things like RIFRA and campus carry to please the left.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:

Kemp also has his part in the whole game.....he could have put a stop to most of it, but like Deal and Perdue he doesn't care
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 7:23:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I can hardly wait for the film industry late-cycle economic outputs as observed in California such as the proliferation of street pooping, homeless encampments.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Jack-of-Hearts:
I've got a minor speaking role in four scenes of an alien horror flick which is currently scheduled to begin shooting in March.

I'm not getting paid so don't get pissed when I'm accepting my academy award.  
View Quote

I'll vote for you lol. Let us know when it's out. I always wanted to just be in a movie, not as a main character but as someone you see in the back, I guess those are "extras". Just so when I'm gone, family members can pop a movie in and see me. You'll live forever now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:33:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Kemp also has his part in the whole game.....he could have put a stop to most of it, but like Deal and Perdue he doesn't care
View Quote
Of course not, they see the short influx of cash (potentially) and never consider the long game.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Lionsgate just finished a giant new studio in Douglas county set to start operating this year from what I read. Lionsgate has mega money and power so I wonder what kinds of tax credits they got.

Will our state government do anything about it? Hmm...I want to hope so but the realist in me says probably not.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Brandi:
Lionsgate just finished a giant new studio in Douglas county set to start operating this year from what I read. Lionsgate has mega money and power so I wonder what kinds of tax credits they got.

Will our state government do anything about it? Hmm...I want to hope so but the realist in me says probably not.
View Quote

It's a huge facility, acres and acres of it. Some of it may be open but there is still a lot of construction going on  there.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:14:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Brandi:

View Quote

Not really.

Georgia Lawmakers Propose Modest Changes to State Film Tax Credits
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#26]
That answers that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Jason280:
Does this mean Tyler Perry will have to film movies somewhere else??
View Quote

That wouldnt be a bad thing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top