Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2024 5:43:39 PM EDT
After filling out a witness slip for the diesel act linked in here, I see there's HB4327 up that looks like it needs some proponents. I haven't and likely wont read through the whole thing, but the opening text reads "Repeals the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Amends various Acts to make conforming changes. Effective immediately."

I'd say this one needs as many PROPONENTS as it can get!
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:10:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Makes sense. At this point why is there a need for a foid? Almost everything is banned.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]
They may hate firearms but they love money more.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately, with the current legislature (who support registering law-abiding gun owners), our only hope is a judge in the current court case realizes that other states don't do this, and there is no benefit of the FOID, because purchasers are background checked at the point of purchase.  Hopefully they'd also realizing taxing a constitutional right doesn't seem like a very good thing to do.

With the FOID and waiting periods having been around since the late '60s, you'd think, looking at the amount of murders in Chicago alone since then, that both serve no purpose.  They've stopped no crimes or suicides, as most people who are buying a gun, already have at least one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I bet the Prickster can't wait to sign that one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:31:29 AM EDT
[#5]
My opinion is that the FOID exists to make one more hoop to jump thru to own firearms in Illinois. The more red tape and rules/laws the more convoluted owning firearms becomes. I doubt that the politicians and legislators care about much more other than making life difficult for firearms owners. It's all about more Red Tape.

VooDoo
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:01:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sleepercaprice1] [#6]
The FOID came about in 1968. That was a time of a lot of political unrest. There was a lot of anti-war/anti-govt. activity and the Black Panthers were acting quite militant. At the time, most believed the FOID was about regulating who got access to guns by controlling who was issued a FOID. So, in essence, it was about creating additional hoops for potential gun buyers to go through. It also instantly created a database of present and future gun owners. I'd be very surprised to see Illinois voluntarily do away with it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:40:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Citadel] [#8]
witness slips until an 'adult' progun organization like ISRA or GSL are usually a waste of time - any number of   changes to the bill cause slips already posted to be dropped

assuming the king's ruling junta cares about witness slips
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:44:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Citadel:
witness slips until an 'adult' progun organization like ISRA or GSL are usually a waste of time - any number of   changes to the bill cause slips already posted to be dropped

View Quote

They don't care.  Our legislature is a lawless, corrupt group who have no respect for the proper operation of government nor the Constitution.  They are all traitors to their country and their oath.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:22:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LILGUY] [#10]
2.5 million FOID holders and you get a 1000 +or- witness slips. If it makes you feel better go for it. They knew there is no strong pro gun movement in this state and acted accordingly. Unless SCOTUS takes a firm stand and opens the floodgates on standard weapons this state will keep moving against them. Oh, and don’t hold your breath waiting for that lifeline.Ive been told for over 50 year the FOID is unconstitutional. Really, who'd a thought such a thing.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Citadel:

View Quote

I hate to be negative but the AWB bullshit last year proved this is correct. The "against" witness slips were like 10-1 against and they just changed the bill # and reset the count.
Didn't matter one iota in the end. They are going to do whatever they plan on regardless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top