Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2024 7:53:56 AM EDT
I keep seeing that some states and cities have something called a "squatter law" that allows a homeless person to simply move into and take over a vacant house. And the law forbids the actual owner from removing the squatter.

Does the state or any city in Mississippi have such a law on the books?

What would happen in Mississippi if a squatter refused to leave another person's house? I think most homeowners I know would get them out---possibly feet first.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the squatter has to pay the property taxes and occupy for like 10yrs or something.

There was a bill introduced this year to clarify/ban squatters rights but it died in committee.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:04:04 AM EDT
[#2]
City law maybe but I doubt it.

I’ve seen deputies remove them, feet first as you mentioned, at the owners request.

MS is actually pretty good on property owners rights.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By miker84:
I think the squatter has to pay the property taxes and occupy for like 10yrs or something.

There was a bill introduced this year to clarify/ban squatters rights but it died in committee.
View Quote

Someone, squatter or otherwise, has to pay your property taxes 3 years in a row and on that third year they can get a tax deed. At any point in those three years the owner can get the property taxes caught up and the three year clock starts over.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:11:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Cowbell:

Someone, squatter or otherwise, has to pay your property taxes 3 years in a row and on that third year they can get a tax deed. At any point in those three years the owner can get the property taxes caught up and the three year clock starts over.
View Quote

I've always been paranoid about that so I go check with the chancery clerk every year just to be sure. I can remember hearing about that happening to people who paid off their house but didn't understand that the mortgage company had been paying the taxes.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:31:39 AM EDT
[#5]

I've always been paranoid about that so I go check with the chancery clerk every year just to be sure. I can remember hearing about that happening to people who paid off their house but didn't understand that the mortgage company had been paying the taxes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The over 65 homestead exemption confuses a lot of old folks. It exempts you from a good chunk of taxes but not completely. They’ll just quit paying their $13.50 tax bill and almost lose their property over it
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Thanks. I have heard about that. And if the owner pays the back taxes, I think he has to pay some interest and legal fees.

So if I just mow part of my neighbor's yard for 3 years, I can't lay claim to it---right?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By NRA_guy:

Thanks. I have heard about that. And if the owner pays the back taxes, I think he has to pay some interest and legal fees.

So if I just mow part of my neighbor's yard for 3 years, I can't lay claim to it---right?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NRA_guy:

Yep, if the owner pays the back taxes it will be all the interest, late fees + the 18% to whoever had been paying the taxes.

You could try and claim adverse possession for maintaining your neighbors property but it's pretty rare, not to say it never happens. You're gonna be looking at some court fees and lawyer fees though. Probably cheaper to just offer to buy the land outright.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#9]

I've seen deputies remove them, feet first as you mentioned, at the owners request.

View Quote
 Especially if you know the sheriff, his family and half the deputies.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Fugitive:
View All Quotes

I've seen deputies remove them, feet first as you mentioned, at the owners request.

Yup, good ole boys club
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

I do.

(Dang! It's been 32 years since I said that the last time.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top