Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2024 9:13:43 PM EDT
Are the bucks still chasing does in GA this time of year?  We installed security cameras and I'm still seeing doe's pass through right after nightfall and usually a big old buck chasing them.  I have no idea how it works here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Possible. Late estrus or ones that didn't knocked up early.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#2]
That's what I was thinking but I was just surprised to see it happening this often, this late.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Or maybe just an overly randy buck?!?  
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dawggs4:
Possible. Late estrus or ones that didn't knocked up early.
View Quote

That happens around my place every year. The ratios are way off, more does than the bucks can get to the first estrus cycle. The does come back into estrus about a month later and repeat until they are bred. Some does that were born late in the season because of that also come into estrus later since they are a couple of months behind in maturity.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 3:39:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brandi] [#5]
That pretty much explains it then.  We've never had outdoor cameras before so never realized how many deer come through our yard at night. A bunch of deer and one chupacabra so far.  It doesn't seem to pick up the raccoons or possums but it gets the cats, probably because they walk faster.  Hoping the chupacabra will make another appearance so we can figure out if it's a coyote or a fox.  Hard to tell in the video.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Where I hunt, we have way too many does vs bucks. I’ve shot nice bucks in January that still had black hocks, and they were stinking. Buddy shot a doe the last weekend and it wasn’t pregnant.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Down at the bottom of the state this is still going on
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Had a group of 5 does come through last night but no buck chasing them this time so maybe they've finally finished up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Brandi:
That pretty much explains it then.  We've never had outdoor cameras before so never realized how many deer come through our yard at night. A bunch of deer and one chupacabra so far.  It doesn't seem to pick up the raccoons or possums but it gets the cats, probably because they walk faster.  Hoping the chupacabra will make another appearance so we can figure out if it's a coyote or a fox.  Hard to tell in the video.
View Quote

Plenty of ‘yotes here in Snellville. I see stuff posted on Ring and Nextdoor all the time. Haven’t seen too many foxes.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, way more coyotes than I realized now that we have cameras outside.  I'm pretty sure chupacabra #1 was a coyote but chupacabra #2 is definitely something else.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#11]
The rut cycles in Georgia are abnormal due to the importation of northern deer into GA in the 60’s through the 80’s. If you look at the rut in the surrounding states and areas of the states with more native Georgia deer bloodlines, you’ll see that the breeding cycles are much more spread out. The areas with more northern DNA have a much more focused rut.

Add that to the skewed buck to doe ratios in a lot of areas and you end up with a broad range of when you’ll see bucks chasing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top