Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2024 10:32:44 PM EDT
What happened to the Lexington area gun stores?  (Exception being BUD's).

I didn't care for the owners of CLassic Arms after they were caught lying to me. But the arrogance was always a factor.
Went in there the other day to look around and I couldn't believe it. Did they sell out ?  The shelves were half bare from what they use to be. Lots of ammo and accessories werent restocked. The light fixtures themselves were half burnt out.  Archery seems to try and fill some of what the higher price things were at.

Went to Evans and they seem to be pretty decent but some of the tags in there are ancient, lighting always was inconsistent, dust on all the non-selling accessories laying around an many shelves had lots of gaps. Ammo wasn't stocked so well either.

Haven't gone to the shop in Georgetown that use to be in Lex---wondered if its same condition as these others.  

Buds run them out?  Economy? People tired of owners and prices? What is it?
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 10:31:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JMD] [#1]
Originally Posted By CbtEngr1:
What happened to the Lexington area gun stores?  (Exception being BUD's).

I didn't care for the owners of CLassic Arms after they were caught lying to me. But the arrogance was always a factor.
Went in there the other day to look around and I couldn't believe it. Did they sell out ?  The shelves were half bare from what they use to be. Lots of ammo and accessories werent restocked. The light fixtures themselves were half burnt out.  Archery seems to try and fill some of what the higher price things were at.

Went to Evans and they seem to be pretty decent but some of the tags in there are ancient, lighting always was inconsistent, dust on all the non-selling accessories laying around an many shelves had lots of gaps. Ammo wasn't stocked so well either.

Haven't gone to the shop in Georgetown that use to be in Lex---wondered if its same condition as these others.  

Buds run them out?  Economy? People tired of owners and prices? What is it?
View Quote

Antique and modern is doing quite well.  They have alot of selection of older guns and fill that niche.  I have bought alot of guns over the last few years from them but all are pre 1990 guns.  They dont have alot of modern guns but that is not their bread and butter.  And their prices are reasonable on a lot of guns. They will give 80% value on trade ins which is more than most.

Classic arms and archery used to be the best gun store circa 2005-2013 time frame.  Their prices were reasonable and they had a good selection of older and newer guns.  Then one of the original owners (Hank) sold his half to Ryan and went to work somewhere else. It started to decline after that.  Then Buds came along and basically has dominated the new gun market since the late 2010s.   So they took hit on that gun market

Then the Original owners of antique and modern went into retirement and it came under new management.  They semi reinvented Themselves by concentrating more so on the used older gun market and made their prices more competitive and gave more on trade ins etc.   so they basically took that market back from Classic

Classic now is over priced on alot of their guns new and old and their store looks run down like an old neighborhood.   Go to buds and antique and their stores are clean and inviting.    Classic does enough to stay in business but they are a shadow of their former self.

Evans like classic does enough to stay in business but once again I think buds and antique have the market in Lexington.

Though Buds does get older used guns in from time to time usually Antique will have a better selection and prices.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Classic arms being the Glock Blue Label dealer is the only reason I step foot in the place.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Never had any business dealings with Classic, but I did go in there a few months ago just to check it out. Think I talked to Frank IIRC. Wanted to see what they had in the way of knives since I'm the buyer for those across the street. I don't want to compete with them if I can help it and would be glad to point people over there if they have something we don't. Had a pleasant conversation but agree with the above posts that the store seemed a little neglected

Bud's is weird. They put a crap load of money into a really nice facility but there's still the typical gun store employees behind the counter. I've wandered through there a few times and not a single person said hi except the lady sitting at the front desk
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By scottr:
Never had any business dealings with Classic, but I did go in there a few months ago just to check it out. Think I talked to Frank IIRC. Wanted to see what they had in the way of knives since I'm the buyer for those across the street. I don't want to compete with them if I can help it and would be glad to point people over there if they have something we don't. Had a pleasant conversation but agree with the above posts that the store seemed a little neglected

Bud's is weird. They put a crap load of money into a really nice facility but there's still the typical gun store employees behind the counter. I've wandered through there a few times and not a single person said hi except the lady sitting at the front desk
View Quote

She’s a peach!!

I know several of the counter guys and go to school with 2 of them. They are both ignorant but try to be bro-dude gun culture Vets. The couple old guys who work the counter are short and huffy at times, but cant blame them, place is a circus half the time.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:32:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By scottr:

View Quote

Buds doesn't honor online prices in the store
Screw them
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By craig24680:

Screw them
View Quote

They do with firearms, I’ve had them adjust to match online cash price several times in the last year. I have not tried it on accessories though, they are cheaper elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 10:11:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Atropian_Defector:

They do with firearms, I’ve had them adjust to match online cash price several times in the last year. I have not tried it on accessories though, they are cheaper elsewhere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Atropian_Defector:

Screw them

I tried to get them to do it with some 10mm ammo, 2 different people, and told no
was told online is cheaper as it doesn't factor in shipping
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#8]

I tried to get them to do it with some 10mm ammo, 2 different people, and told no
was told online is cheaper as it doesn't factor in shipping
View Quote

Yeah that figures on the non-gun stuff.. dumbest thing I’ve had is ordering parts, they shipped from Paris less than 15 miles from me, then it went to Memphis before back here to Winchester. I wish they had a store pickup option for accessories/ammo.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 8:51:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RWEIII] [#9]
Regarding Bud's - I seem to recall that they state somewhere (can't recall where and couldn't find it in a minute search of the site) that the store Bud's Gun Shop and Range and the internet site Budsgunshop.com  are separate businesses.

Brick and mortar prices will be higher than warehouse.  Same with Centerfiresystems.com and The Gun Shop at Centerfire in Versailles.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RWEIII:
Regarding Bud's - I seem to recall that they state somewhere (can't recall where and couldn't find it in a minute search of the site) that the store Bud's Gun Shop and Range and the internet site Budsgunshop.com  are separate businesses.

Brick and mortar prices will be higher than warehouse.  Same with Centerfiresystems.com and The Gun Shop at Centerfire in Versailles.
View Quote

They are separate but under the same umbrella.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#11]
To be honest, I only go to Bud's as a last resort.  I don't like the help and too many people...  CenterFire is good, Gilbert's, and two shops in G'town are okay, new one shows promise.  Needs a bigger shop, better location.

I have not been to Mike's in Frankfort in years, or that one at the Simpsonville exit at the flea market, how are they these days?

Internet is killing brick and mortar stores.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#12]
To be honest, I only go to Bud's as a last resort.  I don't like the help and too many people...  CenterFire is good, Gilbert's, and two shops in G'town are okay, new one shows promise.  Needs a bigger shop, better location.

I have not been to Mike's in Frankfort in years, or that one at the Simpsonville exit at the flea market, how are they these days?

View Quote

Well Buds use to have bad counterpeople. Lots of women with the "why the hell are you here" attitude/face.  Amber was good to look at but she got married  

The only older guy in the store I would deal with is Jack. Dark hair, heavy mustache, VN vet I believe and may be a little gruff but knows his stuff. The Heavier dudes---meh ...no thanks.  New guys, just don't know much. They seem to hire whoever they can get.

my go to store is Mikes in Frankfort, have gotten some great deals on used stuff and he will be the cheapest on new stuff and will order what you want if he can. Unfortunately he has aged to the point he is looking to sell.  He has interesting items and priced fairly. Ammo is about the best i can find price-wise locally.
I wouldn't go (and haven't gone to since 2011) to Gilberts. Rude and only reason they are alive is due to online sales.

My 2nd GO to place is Centerfire. Very friendly, have gotten deals there too. Always something interesting to find. Sometimes prices are wacky but offset by others that are good.  Bill and Chris and John are great to work with.

The Simpsonville Flea Market store (OPS SUPPLY?) is very high priced in my opinion. they had rape prices during the ammo shortage ($50 for box of 9mm). Navy Seal owns it but is never there, think he is running for state office of some sort (legislature?). The store seems to have a lot of consignment guns as an inventory process.

Haven't been to Georgetown stores except for the new pawn shop that Monty half owns /runs.  I could always deal with him at Dan's Pawn. He even sold me an AK once that was labeled and priced as an SKS

Forgot about Antique and Modern. Are they still in business in the same place???
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Brick and mortar stores need to adapt.  That is what Antique and Modern does.  They sell as much online as they do in the actual store.

Probably the only thing keeping classic arms and archery going is their internet sales.

Never have had a major problem with Buds myself.

About 1/2 I have bought online and had it shipped to their store and the other have I have bought in the store.  

I usually know what I want so no real hassle for me

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Well Buds use to have bad counterpeople. Lots of women with the "why the hell are you here" attitude/face.  Amber was good to look at but she got married  

The only older guy in the store I would deal with is Jack. Dark hair, heavy mustache, VN vet I believe and may be a little gruff but knows his stuff. The Heavier dudes---meh ...no thanks.  New guys, just don't know much. They seem to hire whoever they can get.

my go to store is Mikes in Frankfort, have gotten some great deals on used stuff and he will be the cheapest on new stuff and will order what you want if he can. Unfortunately he has aged to the point he is looking to sell.  He has interesting items and priced fairly. Ammo is about the best i can find price-wise locally.
I wouldn't go (and haven't gone to since 2011) to Gilberts. Rude and only reason they are alive is due to online sales.

My 2nd GO to place is Centerfire. Very friendly, have gotten deals there too. Always something interesting to find. Sometimes prices are wacky but offset by others that are good.  Bill and Chris and John are great to work with.

The Simpsonville Flea Market store (OPS SUPPLY?) is very high priced in my opinion. they had rape prices during the ammo shortage ($50 for box of 9mm). Navy Seal owns it but is never there, think he is running for state office of some sort (legislature?). The store seems to have a lot of consignment guns as an inventory process.

Haven't been to Georgetown stores except for the new pawn shop that Monty half owns /runs.  I could always deal with him at Dan's Pawn. He even sold me an AK once that was labeled and priced as an SKS [url]/images/smilies/icon_smile_cool.gif[/img

Forgot about Antique and Modern. Are they still in business in the same place???
View Quote

I don’t go to Mikes anymore.  He tried to screw me over on a gun I needed to part with.  

I wanted 1300 and that was below retail for a gun I had  for a while.  He offered 1000 max.  

Went to classic in Lexington and they offered me 1550 for the same gun.  More than I originally wanted but enough meat for them to make a profit.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JMD:

I don’t go to Mikes anymore.  He tried to screw me over on a gun I needed to part with.  

I wanted 1300 and that was below retail for a gun I had  for a while.  He offered 1000 max.  

Went to classic in Lexington and they offered me 1550 for the same gun.  More than I originally wanted but enough meat for them to make a profit.  

View Quote

The deal with Mike is that he probably would have sold it for 1300 ...not 2000. That's the way his prices are reasonable. He wasn't trying to screw anyone, he just had a price in mind he thought he could sell it for and make a profit (not a gouge profit). But everyone's experience is different.

I bought a Dragunov sniper rifle from his shelf once for 650 and the rest of the world was priced at 1000-1200.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:57:30 PM EDT
[#16]

The deal with Mike is that he probably would have sold it for 1300 ...not 2000. That's the way his prices are reasonable. He wasn't trying to screw anyone, he just had a price in mind he thought he could sell it for and make a profit (not a gouge profit). But everyone's experience is different.

I bought a Dragunov sniper rifle from his shelf once for 650 and the rest of the world was priced at 1000-1200.
View All Quotes

I disagree with you on that he wasn’t trying to screw me.  He was low balling me.   So I left.   Even classic said that offer was way too low.  And another person who is a big fan of Mikes agreed with me that his offer was too low on that particular firearm.  He would have walked away too.  

And I have looked at the prices on his guns. Some are reasonable and some I can get a better price somewhere else.   It is hit or miss.  

Glad you like him but my experience with him has not been the best experience.  

But then again my experience with Buds has been positive and others have not had a positive experience so I guess it depends on what a person’s expectations are.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#17]

I disagree with you on that he wasn’t trying to screw me.  He was low balling me.   So I left.   Even classic said that offer was way too low.  And another person who is a big fan of Mikes agreed with me that his offer was too low on that particular firearm.  He would have walked away too.  

And I have looked at the prices on his guns. Some are reasonable and some I can get a better price somewhere else.   It is hit or miss.  

But then again my experience with Buds has been positive and others have not had a positive experience so I guess it depends on what a person’s expectations are.
View Quote

Eh, well it depends on the gun too. I have tried to sell Mike Guns too and walked away from an offer because I knew it was low because he wouldn't be able to see it easily. He has put stuff on consignment for me though that never sold so I took it back.

I rarely buy new guns but when I am looking he has showed me his ordering options on the computer (who else does that?) and he only has certain distributors so he isn't getting Bud's low buying prices.  Some of these sale prices people off (Ky Gun Co offered the low end KSG shotgun for like 310) he can't figure out how they get except thru a closeout (his lowest buying price was like 510 for same gun).

I have tried to trade with Buds (Colt SAA) or sell to them and they wouldn't take a Colt SAA...lol... and their buy price was about like Ky GUN CO (half of what they were to sell it for). So experience varies. I just sell anything I want online or at a show.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Eh, well it depends on the gun too. I have tried to sell Mike Guns too and walked away from an offer because I knew it was low because he wouldn't be able to see it easily. He has put stuff on consignment for me though that never sold so I took it back.

I rarely buy new guns but when I am looking he has showed me his ordering options on the computer (who else does that?) and he only has certain distributors so he isn't getting Bud's low buying prices.  Some of these sale prices people off (Ky Gun Co offered the low end KSG shotgun for like 310) he can't figure out how they get except thru a closeout (his lowest buying price was like 510 for same gun).

I have tried to trade with Buds (Colt SAA) or sell to them and they wouldn't take a Colt SAA...lol... and their buy price was about like Ky GUN CO (half of what they were to sell it for). So experience varies. I just sell anything I want online or at a show.
View All Quotes

If you ever want to sell or trade a colt SAA at a gun store the Antique and Modern would be the place.  They would give you approximately 80 percent of it’s value which is more than any other gun store in town.

I agree Buds and KY gun company do not give enough on trades or buying used guns.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#19]

If you ever want to sell or trade a colt SAA at a gun store the Antique and Modern would be the place.  They would give you approximately 80 percent of it’s value which is more than any other gun store in town.

I agree Buds and KY gun company do not give enough on trades or buying used guns.
View Quote

I’ve only sold one to buds. I took a low offer of theirs only because they had a greatly underpriced pistol I wanted and still came out 10% better than any other one I had seen. Still, $400 for a Sig X-Carry hurt a little accepting.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

I took it to a gun show and a dealer paid my asking price (i had even bumped it up a little but it was still a bargain).
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Screw them
View Quote

Shit, the last thing I bought from Buds was a shotgun listed in store for $30 less than the online price. Same item number and everything
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top