Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2024 11:54:19 AM EDT
Where do I need to be looking for an apartment?  Will be working at Fair Oaks Hospital.  Where should she avoid?  Any other relevant information we need to know?  Thanks for your assistance.

Kirk-A3
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:10:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ambridge77] [#1]
Avoid U.S. Route 1 (Richmond Highway).

Fair Lakes over by Fair Oaks is decent.

The Greenbriar neighborhood, along with
Chantilly in Fairfax are also okay.

ETA - When we moved from Greenbriar
          several years ago, I was paying
          around $1800/month for an old
          2-bedroom apartment.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Go west and drive to work.  It’s cheaper and safe-isher out west.  Look at the area at night before you sign the lease. You might not notice the group home during the day.  We did that when looking at investment properties and one resident was so drunk he left his card door open.  No good.  

Her primary concern should be well-lit, controlled access (both parking and building) then cost third, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:01:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#3]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:44:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By scuba_steve:
The area around that hospital, known as Fair Lakes, is fairly affordable, on a Nova scale, but there's not much out there other than strip malls, housing, and crowded Route 50. If she's young and wants to live in an area with nightlife, that's Arlington and now even parts of Falls Church (Mosaic), which would give her a reverse commute. Vienna and Reston would also be a reverse commute, and while neither are hopping with nightlife, there's more to do in each of those areas, with sections that are very walkable. Ashburn is further west and is very suburban, but it's not a reverse commute.

In general, I recommend western Fairfax County or eastern Loudon. Avoid Prince William and don't even consider Maryland.

View Quote

Words in bold = wisdom
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#5]
If she's working at Fair Oaks hospital, I'd look in the Chantilly, Fair Oaks, Centreville, Herndon area.  Some areas of Herndon and a couple in Centreville are kinda dumpy but nothing is real ghetto.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#6]
There's no area in Northern Virginia that's anywhere near as bad as the worst parts of Louisville, or even Lexington. It's primarily about what she's looking for in terms of atmosphere, walkability, metro access, nightlife, etc. vs how much money she wants to spend.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By METT-T:
There's no area in Northern Virginia that's anywhere near as bad as the worst parts of Louisville, or even Lexington. It's primarily about what she's looking for in terms of atmosphere, walkability, metro access, nightlife, etc. vs how much money she wants to spend.
View Quote

10+ yrs ago, I'd agree.  Now there's so much non US interest and operations going on, it's more sinister.  Those folks crossing the border, some liquidated from prisons, escaping or on orders from hell holes are flocking to VA in far greater numbers.  And the COLA of NOVA doesn't even compare.

Nurses can work anywhere.   I'd argue 95% of anywhere else you'll pocket more $ and not get a SIL that pops his collar and pinky flexes the latte.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By VaFish:
If she's working at Fair Oaks hospital, I'd look in the Chantilly, Fair Oaks, Centreville, Herndon area.  Some areas of Herndon and a couple in Centreville are kinda dumpy but nothing is real ghetto.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:43:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sniper1] [#9]
I live not far from Fair Oaks Hospital and Route 50 is a commuting nightmare unless she is working at off hours.
I'd look anywhere in western Fairfax County and eastern Loudoun county  - parts of Herndon and Sterling are bad at night - think MS13
Chantilly - South Riding -  Stone Ridge - Ashburn - are all good to go  - Fair Oaks has some nice apartments or Condos and would be really close
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Lots of good recommendations here (I live in the Herndon/Oak Hill area), but I might suggest that her best bet would be to talk with other young-ish nurses, PAs, and NPs at the hospital for personal suggestions.  They will know the costs and areas where folks who work at the hospital prefer.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Plenty of apts in Fair Lakes, right up the road from the hospital.  

Generally safe and suburban, but if she's getting off a shift late at night she needs to be careful anywhere-especially in a rental community...  
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Avoid avoid prince william and manassas. Does she care about going out and nightlife? Arlington/falls church will be closer to dc and tysons and have more to do. Reston gets old after a few months, and fair lakes is quiet and safe.
If she's really looking to save money, not a bad idea to live in someone's basement in Vienna where its a neighborhood, as long a it has its own kitchen and living room in the basement separate from the rest of the house. If she goes this route I recommend getting a Ring cam or something similar to set up near her room so she knows if anyone tries to come downstairs while shes out.
Apartments are pricey as hell everywhere right now in NoVA.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#13]
@beitodesstrafe

OP's daughter is considering Arlington.

I think the area is relatively safe because it isn't Rt. 1 Mt. Vernon/Hybla Valley,
and nothing like B'more, Shitcago, Deathtroit, and NYC (so awful, no pun).

Please offer your knowledge of Arlington to OP regarding the 1100 block of S. Barton,
if you're willing.

I haven't been familiar with Arlington since 2009.

Thanks from Steven, in "Low Down" County, VA.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:11:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beitodesstrafe] [#14]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Ambridge77:
@beitodesstrafe

I think the area is relatively safe because it isn't Rt. 1 Mt. Vernon/Hybla Valley,

Please offer your knowledge of Arlington to OP regarding the 1100 block of S. Barton,
if you're willing.

My first thought is the same as the poster I quoted.

If she's working at the Fair Oaks hospital, I'd recommend Centerville. She'll have a much easier commute and cheaper cost of living versus Arlington.

Don't get me, wrong, I love Arlington, and if she wants more of a city life, it is a great location.

But living in Arlington and commuting out to Chantilly is just bizarre.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:15:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beitodesstrafe] [#15]
@beitodesstrafe

if you're willing.

View Quote

As far as your specific question. She'll be near some good restaurants as she'll be just off Columbia Pike near the Glebe intersection. A lot of new construction around there as well.

Not that that area was ever unsafe... but it is getting nicer.

Not metro train accessible, but there are plenty of bus routes near there.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

As far as your specific question. She'll be near some good restaurants as she'll be just off Columbia Pike near the Glebe intersection. A lot of new construction around there as well.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@beitodesstrafe

if you're willing.

@Kirk-A3

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank you all.  She wants to be in the "fun" area but I think I have convinced her that she needs to be closer to the hospital if possible.  I've had a 1 hour commute for the last 28 years and I have grown to hate it.  She will be a new doctor at the hospital, and I think she will be spending more time there than she realizes.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:31:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mbg0001] [#18]

My first thought is the same as the poster I quoted.

If she's working at the Fair Oaks hospital, I'd recommend Centerville. She'll have a much easier commute and cheaper cost of living versus Arlington.

Don't get me, wrong, I love Arlington, and if she wants more of a city life, it is a great location.

But living in Arlington and commuting out to Chantilly is just bizarre.
View Quote

My south Arlington rental house is back on the market.  One of the applicants this week works out by Worldgate, so it's not that bizarre.  I mean, I wouldn't do it, but whatever.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My first tenant there was a cop in Baltimore, so he had an even farther commute.  Of course the way he looked at it, he was running away from Baltimore, so that worked for him.

Also, +1 for not commuting from Arlington to Fair Oaks.  If there are no traffic incidents, it's a manageable commute.  BUT, there's always traffic incidents.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I live about two lights away from that hospital. A lot depends on her budget. There are nice apartment complexes nearby, but some get expensive. I will caution that there is no such thing as a “reverse commute” on 66 anymore if she is looking at Arlington. That commute will always suck.

I used to live in an apartment complex at 50/West Ox Road near the golf course. It wasn’t cheap but it was nice and a nice area.

If she wants to be near food/bars Reston has options, but there are a couple “definitely avoid” areas.

-shooter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top