Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2024 7:57:02 AM EDT
Not trying to get into a debate of the rights and wrongs of LEOSA, but I have a question as it relates to NYC and carrying a concealed firearm on the subways. The last time I was in NYC back in 2020, it wasn’t an issue, but with all the changes in the laws and restricted areas where you can and cannot carry a firearm its pretty confusing.  I know that you cannot go into Times Square or into stores, so I get that, but I’m more concerned with the laws as they relate to they subway system in NYC.  I will be staying in New Jersey to visit family, but I have a couple of cousins in Brooklyn I’m hoping to visit as well.

I have both retired credentials, agency issued LEOSA card and proof of passing my yearly state’s LEO handgun qualification course.

I’m aware of the magazine limitations, but I’d be carrying a Glock 43 with a seven round magazine with JHPs… Are JHPs an issue in NYC now? Personally, I can’t see why since FMJs would present more danger due to over penetration.

Thanks for any info!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#1]
While not New York, you may want to review this recent ruling that shows state laws don't regulate LEOSA, Congress did.

On February 14th, Third Circuit Court of Appeals ruled LEOSA preempts state law under the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution.

They wrote: “when Congress enacted LEOSA, it expressly preempted contrary state law. So New Jersey may not limit the LEOSA right or burden that right by imposing additional requirements upon right-holders.” and, “may not ignore Congress’s unambiguous conferral of an individual right or its clear intent to preempt state law. In LEOSA, Congress granted certain retired law enforcement officers a right to carry a concealed firearm. And LEOSA expressly preempts contrary provisions of state law.”

https://www.police1.com/leosa/federal-third-circuit-court-affirms-new-jersey-laws-violate-federal-leosa-laws
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:06:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: secamp32] [#2]
LEOSA qualified active and retired officers are exempt from NYS sensitive location laws including subways and Times Sq.  
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/PEN/265.01-E
It was added thru the budget bill of 2023.
Hollow points are ok.  10 round mags are ok.  The 7 rounds in a 10 round mag law is still on the books but I think the court said it was unenforceable statewide.

NJSP issued a memo that hollowpoints were ok for OOS officers under LEOSA but I'm not sure everyone in NJ got that memo.  I carry Critical Defense when I have to go to NJ to be on the safe side.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 7:38:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies and the solid LEOSA info!!

I have nothing but love for NYC, I simply do not trust the politicians since not only in NY, but it seems that the whole justice system has it in for honest and hard working people… While give freaking scum a free pass on everything.  

ANYWAY!! I’m looking forward to some real food again!! Especially a slice of Cheesecake at Juniors in Brooklyn!!

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Enjoy.  Remember to give yourself plenty of extra time if flying out of a NYC airport for the PAPD to come over and inspect your pistol at check in.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:17:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Pro tip

Don’t go to North Korea
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:51:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By secamp32:
Enjoy.  Remember to give yourself plenty of extra time if flying out of a NYC airport for the PAPD to come over and inspect your pistol at check in.
View Quote

Yeah, I made that mistake before… That’s why I will only fly into Newark… Less hassle, both coming and going.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bergunx:

Yeah, I made that mistake before… That’s why I will only fly into Newark… Less hassle, both coming and going.
View Quote

Fly into Westchester or Islip airports if you can. The airport cops there are all gentlemen, and there are enough of them working you aren't waiting an hour for the cop to walk over from two terminals away...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top