Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2023 7:01:41 PM EDT
Son's buddy's wife tried to buy ammo for him during a trip into PA. Said she got denied to to NYS drivers license. Trying to find out what store.
Anyone else hear any reports on buying there?
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#1]
She got ID'ed buying ammo in PA?
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if NY has been hitting the stores on the border threatening them not to sell ammo to NY ID's?
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#3]
There's no federal law against buying ammo out of state and NY can't enforce one.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By waldershrek:
I wonder if NY has been hitting the stores on the border threatening them not to sell ammo to NY ID's?
View Quote

That is what I've been hearing.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

I wonder what NY would threaten them with?
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Zero6:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

New York would do what they have done in the past with dealers down south. Sue them in Federal court on some BS. Basically bankrupt the stores with legal fees even if the case has no merit. Not like anyone in the Biden administration will stand with the PA stores.

Anyone remember when Bloomberg had private investigators do straw purchases down south and then sued those stores (who finally capitulated to save lawyers fees)?
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Tie them up with lawsuits costing them lawyer fees for years I imagine
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]
So they are just carding everyone trying to buy ammo?  What are the PA residents saying?

Link Posted: 11/14/2023 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I have not experienced this

YMMV
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Aardvark: New York would do what they have done in the past with dealers down south. Sue them in Federal court on some BS. Basically bankrupt the stores with legal fees even if the case has no merit. Not like anyone in the Biden administration will stand with the PA stores.

Anyone remember when Bloomberg had private investigators do straw purchases down south and then sued those stores (who finally capitulated to save lawyers fees)?
View Quote

So, New York would engage in a pattern of racketeering activity. Sounds like RICO charges would be in order.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Lion:
So they are just carding everyone trying to buy ammo?  What are the PA residents saying?

View Quote

I checked on the PA home forum but did not ask if id's were required.  
BTW I purchased mz 209 primers at SW in Henrietta last week for $8.99/100, this week they're  $18.99! All of their rifle and pistol primer prices went went up $20/brick. Guess that was a temporary price dip. Glad I made a few trips there and got stocked up some.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#12]

So, New York would engage in a pattern of racketeering activity. Sounds like RICO charges would be in order.
View Quote

They have done it before going after legal businesses in other state's that would be in violation if they were in New York. Besides, who would press RICO charges? Biden's DOJ? Bloomberg's foray into interstate law enforcement happened under the Obama Administration, who were happy to turn a blind eye.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Aardvark:

They have done it before going after legal businesses in other state's that would be in violation if they were in New York. Besides, who would press RICO charges? Biden's DOJ? Bloomberg's foray into interstate law enforcement happened under the Obama Administration, who were happy to turn a blind eye.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zero6: So, New York would engage in a pattern of racketeering activity. Sounds like RICO charges would be in order.

NYSP walk into out of state gun stores and say, "Nice business you have here. It would be a shame if anything happened to it." Sounds like racketeering to me.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 10:07:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fttam] [#14]

Tie them up with lawsuits costing them lawyer fees for years I imagine
View Quote

PA gun shop owner told a guy I know that he was afraid of being sued by NYS if he sold ammo to a NYer snd it was used in a shooting. So I’m told.

I’d say drive another exit or two further from the NY/PA border.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#15]
So which gun shop did this?
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#16]

NYSP walk into out of state gun stores and say, "Nice business you have here. It would be a shame if anything happened to it." Sounds like racketeering to me.
View Quote
You pretty much summed up how government does business. Government has the option of deadly force to get compliance (guys with guns show up to carry out government orders) and pretty much unlimited funds to go after people. And who his going to sue them for RICO violations?

Funny thing is this past week a state agent showed up at my place of work checking for Workman's Comp compliance and wanted to see all related documents. Took a while for the owner to dig them out but we were fine (the fines for not being in compliance are steep and are free money for the state). So I was at board meeting for a charitable group I work with this week and who has several employees. We have many people of different fields of expertise on the board. I mentioned this compliance check and suggested that if the group's documents are buried in a file cabinet somewhere they be found and made available for quick retrieval as I am sure a surprise visit will be forthcoming. One of our members is a senior accountant with one of the big accounting firms. He rolled his eyes and mentioned not only the comp compliance checks but the state has hired a huge number of tax auditors and is raking businesses over the coals with deep audits that they have not done in years (many of his clients). Turning over all the sofa cushions looking for nickels and dimes as the state is deep in the red from all the money going to support the illegals (NYC is also facing massive budget cuts due to all the money being spent on sheltering them - it is hilarious to hear all the virtual signaling groups crying over the budget cuts that hit them yet they were so vocal earlier in supporting open borders before the migrants showed up).

Honestly, I could see the state looking for any sources of revenue it can find including suing out-of-state businesses to get them to comply with New York laws. It costs the state lawyer salaries to sue but out of state businesses hundreds of thousands to defend themselves.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Last time I bought ammo was in October at a walmart in Mansfield.  No issues.  Time before that was before all the bullshit went into effect, but was in Bradford.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Has   anyone   bought  in Jersey?   Not  sure what  rules  those guys  have to deal with.

thanks

Link Posted: 11/17/2023 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By HBARCharlie:
Has   anyone   bought  in Jersey?   Not  sure what  rules  those guys  have to deal with.

thanks

View Quote
Why would we even consider that?
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#20]

thanks
View Quote
New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts All have weird laws in place - New York is just the latest to pile it on even harder. Sadly there are no easy out-of-state options for people downstate as the nearby states are bad.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I just bought ammo in CT. I have a CT non resident license which is all they need to sell you however much you want to buy.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#22]
New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts All have weird laws in place - New York is just the latest to pile it on even harder. Sadly there are no easy out-of-state options for people downstate as the nearby states are bad.
View All Quotes

thanks

Y'all need to drive further south....

.....with all your stuff packed.

......and never return

I did back in 1996 (born and raised on Long island).
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 9:00:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 9:16:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ButchA61] [#24]
New York would do what they have done in the past with dealers down south. Sue them in Federal court on some BS. Basically bankrupt the stores with legal fees even if the case has no merit. Not like anyone in the Biden administration will stand with the PA stores.

View Quote

Good morning from Virginia...  (Grew up in New York - Poughkeepsie area, back in the 60's & 70's).

I remember that down here in the Richmond, VA area.  Bloomberg and his henchmen went all up and down I-95, etc... and went way overboard (illegally) with their nonsense.
I remember an older guy who was a fantastic FFL dealer, always at the gun shows, etc...  All of the sudden, he's not at gun shows, and suddenly closed up his shop.
Whatever Bloomberg's men did, Lord only knows, or how they did a "set up" on him.  But the old man had no choice but to shut down or pay $$$ in legal fees trying to fight it.

Edit:  I agree with many other posts on here.  New Yorkers.... Please.... GET OUT NOW, WHILE YOU CAN!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#25]
+3 get out of the third world toilet... Its a coming with all the imports..

Btw make sure you tell all liberals to stay and enjoy what they created. We don't want them down south.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I buy .22lr ammo at the Bradford Walmart without issue, although the lady I usually see at the counter told me Walmart won't allow the sale of semi-auto rifles to NYS residents, the gun shops there and other parts nearby don't care and will sell you anything.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JKH:
I buy .22lr ammo at the Bradford Walmart without issue, although the lady I usually see at the counter told me Walmart won't allow the sale of semi-auto rifles to NYS residents, the gun shops there and other parts nearby don't care and will sell you anything.
View Quote

That's a lawsuit.  Good thing I have Dewey, Screwem, and Howe on speed dial.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Sorry to resurrect an older mostly dead thread. I found a gun store 5 minutes south of the NY border and 20 minutes south of Binghamton. The owner lives in NY and loves selling guns and ammo to NYers. If your pistol permit has the semi auto rifle endorsement, he will sell you a NY compliant semi auto rifle.
He told me to tell as many NYers as possible. It is in Great Bend, PA. Easy to find.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:41:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JKH:
View Quote

The firearms thing is different; the sale must conform to the laws of the state the buyer resides in.
There WAS some legislation being bounced around in Albany last year that would make it illegal for NYers to buy ammo across the state line. I doubt it passed but even by suggesting it you know they're trying to find some way to prohibit it
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

There WAS some legislation being bounced around in Albany last year that would make it illegal for NYers to buy ammo across the state line.
View Quote

New York has no jurisdiction across the state line.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

No, but could they say any ammunition possessed in NY must have been purchased from an authorized ammunition dealer in NYS.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Castillo:

No, but could they say any ammunition possessed in NY must have been purchased from an authorized ammunition dealer in NYS.
View All Quotes

They can say anything they want. Do we have to listen?

"Article I, Section 8, Clause 3 of the United States Constitution, gives Congress the power to regulate commerce between foreign nations, states, and Indian tribes. It also prohibits states from interfering with interstate commerce."
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:35:16 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

There WAS some legislation being bounced around in Albany last year that would make it illegal for NYers to buy ammo across the state line.

They can pull the Bloomberg BS and send narcs to buy ammo and then file suit in civil court. That scares small businesses plenty.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:13:29 AM EDT
[#34]

They can say anything they want. Do we have to listen?

"Article I, Section 8, Clause 3 of the United States Constitution, gives Congress the power to regulate commerce between foreign nations, states, and Indian tribes. It also prohibits states from interfering with interstate commerce."
View Quote

You can buy ammo in any state you want, you just can't bring it back into NY.

No different than fireworks

Until the courts start treating the 2A like an actual right, anything goes
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Castillo: You can buy ammo in any state you want, you just can't bring it back into NY.
View Quote

Who would know if you did? I have ammo in my car all the time. How can they prove I bought it in another state? What is the criminal charge if they did somehow prove I bought it in another state?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Things went ok in Vermont…
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#37]

Who would know if you did? I have ammo in my car all the time. How can they prove I bought it in another state? What is the criminal charge if they did somehow prove I bought it in another state?
View Quote

All of that is up to the imagination of the mental giants in Albany
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#38]
They will probably change the law to be like the one in CA that prohibits residents from importing ammo into the state.  A Cal resident can buy ammo in Nevada but can’t bring it home to CA.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By secamp32: They will probably change the law to be like the one in CA that prohibits residents from importing ammo into the state.
View Quote

If they really think that will work, why don't they just change the law to prohibit residents from importing fentanyl into the state?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#40]

If they really think that will work, why don't they just change the law to prohibit residents from importing fentanyl into the state?
View Quote

They don’t care if it works
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#41]
FWIW, friend went to a PA Cabela’s last week to pick up ammo. Was told by the counter guy Cabela’s corporate put out a letter stating they are to check DLs for any ammo purchase and refuse ammo sale to NY residents.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By sherm8404:
FWIW, friend went to a PA Cabela’s last week to pick up ammo. Was told by the counter guy Cabela’s corporate put out a letter stating they are to check DLs for any ammo purchase and refuse ammo sale to NY residents.
View Quote

It’s working
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#43]
FWIW, friend went to a PA Cabela's last week to pick up ammo. Was told by the counter guy Cabela's corporate put out a letter stating they are to check DLs for any ammo purchase and refuse ammo sale to NY residents.
View Quote
Amazing how Cabela's buys into this.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#44]
A friend of mine said the same thing happened to him at a different gun store in PA.
This is Not Good!
You think they all got threat letters from NYS?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#45]

It's working
View All Quotes
FWIW, friend went to a PA Cabela's last week to pick up ammo. Was told by the counter guy Cabela's corporate put out a letter stating they are to check DLs for any ammo purchase and refuse ammo sale to NY residents.

It's working
Just reminding us time and again that those of us stupid enough to keep living in New York are not subject to protections and guarantees of the U.S Constitution. New York is an entity all to itself and is able to get away with it with the blessing of the DOJ. Looks like one would need to go shopping with an out-of-state friend and use their license. Much like PA residents need to rely on out-of-state residents to help them buy the good stuff at PA fireworks stores
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Hell ….the gun manufacturers buy into it
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#47]
FWIW, I called Cabelas in Harrisburg. No restrictions at all for NY residents.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:22:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spydermonkey] [#48]
FYI if any of you vacation to NC or SC and stop at a Palmetto, PSA has a corporate policy now to not sell ammo to anyone with a NY ID. You can have a friend or family member with you and hand them a southern ID and you pay for it. Kinda like a straw ammo purchase to get around corporate policy.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Spydermonkey:
FYI if any of you vacation to NC or SC and stop at a Palmetto, PSA has a corporate policy now to not sell ammo to anyone with a NY ID. You can have a friend or family member with you and hand them a southern ID and you pay for it. Kinda like a straw ammo purchase to get around corporate policy.

View Quote

I was recently shopping at a PSA and nobody asked to see my id. No, I’m not telling you what was purchased.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:36:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Here in Las Vegas Nevada the big box stores are checking ID for ammunition purchases. No sales to out of state residents.  I am unaware of any local gun shops doing such nonsense.  I saw signs at Walmart and Big 5.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top