Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2023 9:29:23 PM EDT
Ok so long story short, I got a ruger gunsite scout in 308. I zeroed it in with my hunting ammo, then started plinking with some Tulammo. I know, I’m an idiot. Anyway, after about 15 rounds of it, a rim decided to sheer off, so now I have a broken case in the chamber. I bought a broken shell extractor, but I guess im using it wrong. I can see it grab the edges of the case, but then just pops out. The only left I can think of is to drop some kroil in there and hope it penetrates between the cartridge and the chamber wall.

Assuming this doesn’t work, does anyone know of a decent smith in the northeast that isn’t going to rape my wallet to get this shell out?
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 10:15:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chopps] [#1]
Try a bronze/brass cleaning gun brush on end of cleaning rod push from muzzle back.
I've seen it remove a case without bottom in a bolt rifle so should work for you.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried but I think I might need a 45cal brush. I tried with a 38
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#3]
What part of NE GA? I have some Cerrosafe I picked up for another project.

How to Extract a Broken Shell from a Rifle Chamber | MidwayUSA Gunsmithing

Link Posted: 12/28/2023 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#4]
As mentioned before - oversized bronze cleaning brush
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I live in Jefferson, work in Buford
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#6]
If the brush doesn't work I'm about 40min north towards Toccoa and would be happy to help. I'd like to buy a brass rod to ensure we can drive it out though. I could see the cerrosafe method breaking a cleaning rod fairly easily. I might get one anyhow just to have on hand, putting together a few things I need from McMaster-Carr currently.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried a 45cal brush. Didn’t work. Now I just have a flattened 45 brush.

I squirted some kroil in the chamber tonight. I’ll let that seep in until tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 6:28:35 AM EDT
[#8]
IM sent
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Any update OP?
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#10]
No luck with kroil or anything. Going to meet up with coffin-nail after deer season so we can do the metal down the chamber method.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Patriot Arms Gunsmithing is in Lula. I used to use him for transfers and some minor gunsmithing (drill & tap, sight install, etc.) when he was in Loganville but he has since moved out to Lula.

patriotarmsgunsmithing.com
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:36:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Any idea why it got stuck? I haven’t shot much Russian steel in a long time, but used to shoot it a lot and never had a problem except for one Wolf case that didn’t have a flash hole drilled in the primer pocket.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 7:33:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By peachy:
Any idea why it got stuck? I haven’t shot much Russian steel in a long time, but used to shoot it a lot and never had a problem except for one Wolf case that didn’t have a flash hole drilled in the primer pocket.
View Quote

Usually happens due to carbon build up in the chamber. The steel doesn't expand very well to obturate the chamber and if you fire enough the case will get tighter and tighter. With chrome lined bores they're usually slick enough some of the carbon will come out with the case but if it's sticks to the chamber you'll eventually have this with enough rounds fired. I have to imagine it being a rifle cartridge magnifies the problem.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm near the GA400/Hwy53 intersection.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Success!

Link Posted: 1/25/2024 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Duct tape usually does the trick.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Jack-of-Hearts:
Duct tape usually does the trick.  
View Quote

I believe that is Cerrosafe, it's a type of metal that melts easy for chamber casting.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By surplusnut:

I believe that is Cerrosafe, it's a type of metal that melts easy for chamber casting.
View Quote

Yup, went a little too deep with the patch, it's deceptive how far it is from the mouth but it worked out in the end. In the future I'm going to make a drop tube to aid in doing this in a bolt gun. To access the chamber we had to remove the scope and rail.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By surplusnut:

View Quote

Well if it looks like a duct and cracks like a duct....  
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#20]
You can see where that rim just ripped off. This is how the Russians beat us.

Thanks again bud. The gun is back in the safe to never be seen or heard from again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top