Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2024 12:53:00 PM EDT
I’m thinking of making a day trip to head up for some mags and whatever other goodies I can find. Any recommendations on any shops that have large selections of such goodies?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:10:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dwhitehorne] [#1]
Sharpshooters is the only place I can think of in the area you are looking just off 95.  I haven't been there in years.  David

https://sharpshootersindoorrange.net/

There is also NOVA armory in Arlington but I've never been there.  

https://www.novaarmory.com/
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I stopped at Sharpshooters a couple months ago after having lived out of state for the last 8 years. I didn’t see much in the way of magazines anywhere on display. They used to have an full aisle that were all mags - I think pistol on one side and rifle on the other. Not sure if they moved them behind the counter or just don’t carry many anymore? It was pretty busy at the counter, so I didn’t stay to ask.

All Shooters Tactical in Woodbridge is about 5 minutes off I-95 and has a pretty good selection of major pistol and rifle mag brands, plus a lot of surplus / secondhand mags for different firearms. You’re going to pay full price though. Same with guns - they have a good selection, several dozen used firearms, but everything is pretty expensive. Their ammo prices are pretty high too (but maybe just because I buy online and at shows). Some nice guys to talk to though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#3]
LOL I always am trying to leave NoVA for stuff.  The best selection would be Cabelas in Gainesville.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Full Metal Jacket still around?
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Gun show in Richmond this weekend if you don't mind the drive. Big show.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
Full Metal Jacket still around?
View Quote

Yes, they moved from the waterfront to just off Duke Street several years ago and are still there. They are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, though.

The owner hired some younger guys who have a better grasp of modern tactical stuff so I think it's better than it used to be. They are are a bit more technically savvy too so you can see most of their inventory on their website.

I don't remember seeing alot of magazines when I was there a few weeks ago. Typical worn surplus M4 and M9 mags but decent prices. They had a Magpul section so prob have Pmags but the few non-surplus items I looked at were MSRP, I think, so no bargains there. Although, the guys working there seem to have some flexibility so you may be able to cut a deal if you buy a bunch and pay cash.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By kingfish:
I’m thinking of making a day trip to head up for some mags and whatever other goodies I can find. Any recommendations on any shops that have large selections of such goodies?
View Quote

What part of MD

If your feeling like a doing s roadtrip one day

Middleton guns of I81 10 miles past front royal exit

I then go 25 south to beans BBQ ( cash only )

Or Hafers guns in falling waters

Attachment Attached File

No tax on ammo in west va
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:07:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By kbi:

What part of MD

If your feeling like a doing s roadtrip one day

Middleton guns of I81 10 miles past front royal exit

I then go 25 south to beans BBQ ( cash only )

Or Hafers guns in falling waters

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77256/Screenshot_20240315_193623_Chrome_jpg-3159907.JPG

No tax on ammo in west va
View Quote

Damn, I'll have to check out Hafer's for reloading supplies once we've moved to WV.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Damn, I'll have to check out Hafer's for reloading supplies once we've moved to WV.
View Quote

@towerofpower94

Forgot to add

No ammo tax

No firearm tax

No permit to ccw

And hafers

When I went the 1st time and walked in

I went this is honna take a while
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:35:47 AM EDT
[#13]

@towerofpower94

Forgot to add

No ammo tax

No firearm tax

No permit to ccw

And hafers

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

@towerofpower94

Forgot to add

No ammo tax

No firearm tax

No permit to ccw

And hafers

Haha, thanks for all the additional positives. I'll plan to get a WV resident and/or VA non-resident carry permit since we'll be going back into VA regularly, but I love that my wife can carry concealed on the property without any fear of legal repercussions.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Gotterdammerung:

Yes, they moved from the waterfront to just off Duke Street several years ago and are still there. They are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, though.

The owner hired some younger guys who have a better grasp of modern tactical stuff so I think it's better than it used to be. They are are a bit more technically savvy too so you can see most of their inventory on their website.

I don't remember seeing alot of magazines when I was there a few weeks ago. Typical worn surplus M4 and M9 mags but decent prices. They had a Magpul section so prob have Pmags but the few non-surplus items I looked at were MSRP, I think, so no bargains there. Although, the guys working there seem to have some flexibility so you may be able to cut a deal if you buy a bunch and pay cash.  

View Quote

Long ago I used to stop by there often. The owner (I think) told me they lost their waterfront location because of the eminent domain laws
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Long ago I used to stop by there often. The owner (I think) told me they lost their waterfront location because of the eminent domain laws
View Quote

Yup, he got screwed. The city wanted a prettier, more tourist friendly waterfront so threatened to take the property. I am pretty sure the city did end up buying the property but def (ab)used the threat of Eminent Domain to pressure the owner to sell.  

The city ended up doing a land swap with the private Old Dominion Boat Club. The city got the foot of King St for a park and the Club got a taxpayer-subsidized palace where FMJ used to be.

The whole episode was an abuse of power and misappropriation of tax dollars. That's what happens when Democrats have a monopoly on power.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:20:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nvcdl] [#16]

View Quote

The gunstore/surplus store got bought out for 2 million as I recall.  I don't believe it was an eminent domain case.  The owner John Richards(?) had died and the two sons (one ran the gunstore - the other the surplus store) took the money when the the city offered to buy them out. I think the city had been after the property for years and they saw the owners death as an opportunity.

In addition to the stores they were making $$$ by leasing dock space to the  "Dandy" tour boat to operate & dock on the property.  Supposedly that was keeping the stores afloat all those years. I used to go by there regularly when I lived in Alexandria - moved out late in  2004 and as I recall the property was sold shortly after I moved.

At one point Alexandria City had at least 3 gunshops back in the 90s/early 00s - (Potomac Arms, Old Town Armory, Beretta Galley, and The Trophy Room.  

All closed now - The Trophy Room's owner got screwed over by the city on renovations so he turned his building into a Sex Toy emporium.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:27:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Ever since we lost Quantico Tactical and then Vienna Arsenal...
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By nvcdl:

The gunstore/surplus store got bought out for 2 million as I recall.  I don't believe it was an eminent domain case.  The owner John Richards(?) had died and the two sons (one ran the gunstore - the other the surplus store) took the money when the the city offered to buy them out. I think the city had been after the property for years and they saw the owners death as an opportunity.

In addition to the stores they were making $$$ by leasing dock space to the  "Dandy" tour boat to operate & dock on the property.  Supposedly that was keeping the stores afloat all those years. I used to go by there regularly when I lived in Alexandria - moved out late in  2004 and as I recall the property was sold shortly after I moved.

At one point Alexandria City had at least 3 gunshops back in the 90s/early 00s - (Potomac Arms, Old Town Armory, Beretta Galley, and The Trophy Room.  

All closed now - The Trophy Room's owner got screwed over by the city on renovations so he turned his building into a Sex Toy emporium.
View Quote

Haven't heard trophy room in a long time

I use to use them for transfers alot

Michael zarlenga the owner did get a raw deal

He paid 2.4million for that building

I remember his dogs

They were happy   critters

And Gary was a good guy

Can't remember the girls name

Potomac arms and what was the one up th stairs with the class 3 selection
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Hunter's Haven?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top