Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/5/2024 4:13:52 PM EDT
We're headed your way from Colorado on 4/8 to see the total eclipse. Will be driving our old Winnebago with the wife and our two science-loving boys (9 & 12), and maybe our little dog too. Wondered if there were any ARF.com Texans who would be willing to let us park on a piece of land for a bit. We're thinking anywhere along the line from Waco up through Sulphur Springs to the OK line. Would like to avoid the DFW zone if we can.

We went down to New Mexico back in October for the partial eclipse, but didn't have anywhere to park other than a rest area off the highway, and that wasn't optimum. We're clean, non-smokers, and our kids are solid dudes. Camper is self-contained, so we don't need hookups.

Thanks in advance for any spot or recommendations.

Link Posted: 2/5/2024 4:30:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joemama74] [#1]
Ennis is about 30 minutes south of Dallas, they have some stuff planned.

https://www.eclipseoverennis.com/

I'd probably look around there and then look at the path northeast.

Going further south I'd start at Gatesville, Lampasas, Llano.

I'm buying #10 welding lens for the family to have at work and school so they can see it.

The eclipse we had a few months ago was pretty neat, weird shadows on everything outside, but other than that, it was a normal day, no virgin sacrifices were made.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 5:07:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mikNtx] [#2]
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#3]
@douglasmorris99.

I know Doug has some space available.  He is also right in the path of totality.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dave5339:
@douglasmorris99.

I know Doug has some space available.  He is also right in the path of totality.

Semper Fi
View Quote

Thanks @dave5339
Www.chefs45ranch.com
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy some of this and tape over holes cut in flat pieces of cardboard. Shiny side goes towards the sun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#6]
@hrt4me
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in Mills county.  Western edge of the total E.  

If I were you, I would look down around Lampasas.   Decent little semi-small town, some good food options, spring fed pool in town (although I'm not sure it will be open that early in the year), and there are a number of outfits setting up camping options or RV spots.

Moving SW from there, I'd investigate some of the state parks.  I don't know where they fall on the E map, but places like Inks Lake could be very nice.  Again, you would have to compare the E map to a state map, but it should cover a bunch of parks and rec areas.  And, the further SW you go out of Dallas, the more comfortable the humidity.  North of I-35 is a drier climate, and south of I-35 tends to be more humid.    

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Plan : be at home, work like normal.  Will see if, that changes,  both are in totality path.

I have eclipse glasses and film left over from the 2017(?) eclipse.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mPisi:
@hrt4me
View Quote

I am hosting my annual machine gun shoot on Sunday the 7th and then my total solar eclipse watching party the following day on Monday the 8th (I have been planning this for 2 years and now just hoping for good clear weather). There will be several other RVs at my place, although it is primitive with no hook-ups...
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 11:40:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Dog] [#10]
Originally Posted By hrt4me:

I am hosting my annual machine gun shoot on Sunday the 7th and then my total solar eclipse watching party the following day on Monday the 8th (I have been planning this for 2 years and now just hoping for good clear weather). There will be several other RVs at my place, although it is primitive with no hook-ups...
View Quote

And if hrt4me and I get off our butts, all the low hanging branches going in will be cleared in advance.  DM2.0 needs 13 ft of clearance.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Based on weather, I'd have a few locations locked in ahead of time on the path. That time of year can be tricky with cold fronts and clouds. You will be chasing clear skies.

I'll be in Southeast Dallas County most likely. I was in that same location for the 80% eclipse several months ago. It was a very warm day and the temperature briefly dropped a few degrees at the maximum coverage. It was pretty neat, the skies dimmed some and it was noticeable. My plan is to be deep in a swampy marsh and see what happens with wildlife. Could get pretty weird, I am hoping.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By refidnasb:
Based on weather, I'd have a few locations locked in ahead of time on the path. That time of year can be tricky with cold fronts and clouds. You will be chasing clear skies.

I'll be in Southeast Dallas County most likely. I was in that same location for the 80% eclipse several months ago. It was a very warm day and the temperature briefly dropped a few degrees at the maximum coverage. It was pretty neat, the skies dimmed some and it was noticeable. My plan is to be deep in a swampy marsh and see what happens with wildlife. Could get pretty weird, I am hoping.
View Quote

I lived in the Kansas City area for the 2017 total eclipse.  We were in a place just outside of the woods.

The animals and insects think that it is night, albeit briefly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#13]
My wife informs me that my suggestion of booking a spot at a state park was good advice a year or so ago, but now she contends that the spots have likely been booked for months in virtually all of the decent parks/spots.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Ernesto556:
My wife informs me that my suggestion of booking a spot at a state park was good advice a year or so ago, but now she contends that the spots have likely been booked for months in virtually all of the decent parks/spots.  
View Quote

The science nuts have been talking about it for years, the normies are doing it now.  Buy your eclipse glasses now if you can find them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:03:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sgtlmj] [#15]
Originally Posted By Ernesto556:

View Quote

I found an open RV spot at Pat Mayse Park and snagged it. $18 is no loss if the weather turns out bad and we have to drive farther South.

We still have our glasses from October's eclipse.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#16]

The science nuts have been talking about it for years, the normies are doing it now.  Buy your eclipse glasses now if you can find them.
View Quote

Amazon has some #14 welding glass last I checked.  There are different sizes.  The first one is what I ordered on Thursday.  Due here Tuesday.

Amazon Product
  • Premium Quality and Smooth Edges - The Angksorm Large 4.5 x 5.25 is a high-quality glass welding lens filter made from a special type of American hardened glass. It undergoes precision ground, edging, and shaded to ensure safe and accurate optical properties, providing protection for welders' eyes and face from the intense light and heat generated during the welding process.

Amazon Product
  • DURABILITY & SMOOTH EDGES - We use high-quality hardened black glass lenses that can withstand hot sparks and repeated use to ensure the quality and durability of the product. The lenses processed using professional techniques and are equipped with specially treated matte edges to prevent scratching your hands during use.

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw this today.

https://westfest.com/camping

West is a nice little town, most of my family is from the area. And while there's kolache and a few little places to eat, it's just a small farm town.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By joemama74:
I saw this today.
https://westfest.com/camping
West is a nice little town, most of my family is from the area. And while there's kolache and a few little places to eat, it's just a small farm town.
View Quote

I was morbidly curious....  $250/night for 40ft and 50A!?!?!?

Fuck that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By The_Dog:

I was morbidly curious....  $250/night for 40ft and 50A!?!?!?

Fuck that.
View Quote

Yeah, if my grandparents were still alive, we'd be renting out spots in the pasture and running extension cords from the shed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, if my grandparents were still alive, we'd be renting out spots in the pasture and running extension cords from the shed.
View Quote

In fairness, the West campground is very popular.  I just have no idea why.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By The_Dog:

In fairness, the West campground is very popular.  I just have no idea why.
View Quote

I have no idea either. When my grandparents were alive and the farm was going, there was plenty of stuff to keep yourself entertained, plus they had stock ponds for fishing. But if you don't have access to a farm, it's just open, hot and dirty.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:47:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MDog26] [#23]
Unfortunately, we have a full boat at our property south of Lampasas.  We are about halfway between Lampasas and Burnet (<300 meters from the centerline of the eclipse’s path).  

Just a warning, both Burnet and Lampasas have about 7000 residents each.  Burnet is expecting up to 100,000 visitors and Lampasas somewhat less.  Cell systems are expected to crash, grocery stores and convenience stores overwhelmed as well as emergency services.  The county commissioners said to expect a three hour+ drive from Leander to Burnet or Lampasas.  Traffic will stop during and close to totality.

No good prospects for a day trip.  We’ll be on property for over a week to let things die down.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I’m not trying to be edgy I’m really wondering why the big hubbub about this deal, we just had one about 6 months ago.

What makes this one so special?

I mean they are kinda common in comparison to seeing something like Halley's Comet when I was a kid, that was special in that I most likely wouldn’t live to see it again.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File

Fear mongering?

After Y2k, Covid, the hole in the ozone layer and the nuclear annihilation threat during the cold war, I'm more worried about my house getting hit by a tornado, hail damage to my cars or getting accosted in Dallas.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By wolfjflywheel:
View Quote

It's a total eclipse, which only happen every 20-30 years or so. We have partial eclipses fairly common, most of the time they're not in good areas, but to have a total eclipse in a developed area is a fairly rare event.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:28:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MDog26] [#27]
For central Texas . . .

A total solar eclipse is an exceptionally rare celestial event. It is estimated to recur at any given place only once every 400 years. For Central Texas, it’s been over 600 years since the last opportunity to witness one on this land!

Last Time in Central Texas
May 26, 1397

Coming Soon
April 8, 2024

The Next Time
February 25, 2343

I would say a total eclipse is very special when it happens on a specific place on earth every 13-24 generations.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I’m in Lampasas and the traffic is expected to be horrible. H‑E‑B is already telling the locals to stock up on food for a week.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Hayashi_Killian:

It's a total eclipse, which only happen every 20-30 years or so. We have partial eclipses fairly common, most of the time they're not in good areas, but to have a total eclipse in a developed area is a fairly rare event.
View Quote

Originally Posted By MDog26:
For central Texas . . .

A total solar eclipse is an exceptionally rare celestial event. It is estimated to recur at any given place only once every 400 years. For Central Texas, it’s been over 600 years since the last opportunity to witness one on this land!

Last Time in Central Texas
May 26, 1397

Coming Soon
April 8, 2024

The Next Time
February 25, 2343

I would say a total eclipse is very special when it happens on a specific place on earth every 13-24 generations.
View Quote

Thank you fellers, that makes way more sense now
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Went to the Lampasas HEB yesterday for supplies.  MY wife noticed there was a display FULL of eclipse glasses on one of the checkout end cap displays.  Priced at $1.49 if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:22:03 AM EDT
[#31]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166748/forneyfear_jpg-3150250.JPG

Fear mongering?

After Y2k, Covid, the hole in the ozone layer and the nuclear annihilation threat during the cold war, I'm more worried about my house getting hit by a tornado, hail damage to my cars or getting accosted in Dallas.
View Quote

You cannot triple the population of a town and expect to not have issues.  Forney already has enough issues with growth without an extra 50,000 people showing up.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:23:33 AM EDT
[#32]

I’m not trying to be edgy I’m really wondering why the big hubbub about this deal, we just had one about 6 months ago.

I mean they are kinda common in comparison to seeing something like Halley's Comet when I was a kid, that was special in that I most likely wouldn’t live to see it again.
View Quote

The last total solar eclipse in Texas was in 1878.

I still don't care and may be asleep
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By DavidY:

View Quote

I can GaaarOntee I will be, that’s after my big schindig, I usually can’t walk for a week afterwards
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#34]

I can GaaarOntee I will be, that’s after my big schindig, I usually can’t walk for a week afterwards
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#35]

https://i.giphy.com/VLuEi3ijz0wrC.webp
View Quote

That looks like a perfect place for some Everclear or Rum
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#36]

You cannot triple the population of a town and expect to not have issues.  Forney already has enough issues with growth without an extra 50,000 people showing up.
View Quote

And that's the thing, I seriously doubt 50,000 people are going to Forney, TX.

We're working that day, we'll probably have a little office party outside during the eclipse and go back to work after.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#37]

We're working that day, we'll probably have a little office party outside during the eclipse and go back to work after.
View Quote

Same here, although I am staying at home that day.  We have a nice roof of the parking garage.

For some reason for a long time I had thought the totality didn't cover Dallas at all, and was expecting a lot to come east.  But with approx 3:45 totality in Dallas and environs, there's no good reason to risk travelling for another 30 seconds worth, right?  Yes, there will be some traffic jams but no big deal.  Real eclipse nuts want to be on the centerline or random folks filtering in from far away (like the other tread from the guy staying in Shreveport and driving west on the day).  But if you go into DFW airport, or coming from Fort Worth, why go farther than Dallas anyways, find a nice park or the roof of a parking garage.

Compared to Indianapolis getting all of Chicago, there will be nothing special really.  Ennis, Wax, Corsicana enjoy your Houston friends for a while.  OKC or Tulsa ends up in Dallas too, or alternately Paris or Arkansas.  There's just not enough people needing to travel to make a big deal.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:04:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wulf202] [#38]
I'm on the %100 path along highway 80.  No spare hookups though.

Totality time 4 minutes. I sent you a PM with my cell.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Here's some photos from BFE, Wyoming during the eclipse back in 2017.

Now tell me you think Forney won't get 50k people.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#40]

https://live.staticflickr.com/4410/36422091460_69ab8c5929_c.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/4363/36422091020_b1f40bd1aa_c.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/4369/36422090370_035404b786_c.jpg

View Quote

And what's wrong with the above pics?  Oh no, traffic.  Yes, you 10x'd the population of that county, it got busy for a few hours or even a few days.  
Forney may get 50k but it won't matter.  It's not RVs on hills and it's not a single two-lane road.  It's a 30k place in a county of 2.5 million, all of whom also have totality.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:48:15 PM EDT
[#41]
And what's wrong with the above pics?  Oh no, traffic.  Yes, you 10x'd the population of that county, it got busy for a few hours or even a few days.  
Forney may get 50k but it won't matter.  It's not RVs on hills and it's not a single two-lane road.  It's a 30k place in a county of 2.5 million, all of whom also have totality.
View Quote

Roads in a locale are built and expanded to meet the normal use of the population living there and passing through on a regular basis. When you have a massive, sudden influx of traffic the roads get jammed up. How many roads are built without turnarounds? So when someone's stuck there, they're stuck there?

Compound this with a sudden influx of people. They require services, even if they're only going to be there for a few hours. Food, water, gas, rest stops. Vehicles will run out of gas or break down while waiting for services, further compounding issues. Breakdowns will be slower to address due to difficulties in getting wreckers to the site. Anyone who's planning on doing some tourism while there is going to need lodging. Couple that with the regular traffic needed by the residents going to/from work, doing their own activities, and passers-through such as freight movement, and you have a whole massive problem. Then once it's all done, you have to deal with the vacuum left by the sudden flux in and out. That's why WFAA and others have been telling people to get a week's worth of groceries beforehand.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:16:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DavidY] [#42]

View All Quotes

https://live.staticflickr.com/4410/36422091460_69ab8c5929_c.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/4363/36422091020_b1f40bd1aa_c.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/4369/36422090370_035404b786_c.jpg

Uh .. Kaufman County has about 157,000.  Expecting 200,000 more.

Also the fastest growing county in Texas from 22-23 which means roads are already over capacity.

There's also two real roads leading to/through the county. I-20 and US-80. Both are clogged every damn day under normal circumstances.  

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:03:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Uh .. Kaufman County has about 157,000.  Expecting 200,000 more.
Also the fastest growing county in Texas from 22-23 which means roads are already over capacity.
There's also two real roads leading to/through the county. I-20 and US-80. Both are clogged every damn day under normal circumstances.  
View Quote

My bad for it being almost on the border, I consider it a close suburb of Dallas.  I support development there so they don't come out farther.  I've helped build big parts of Forney in the last 10 years.  

Everybody always forgets US 175.  20, 80, 175 combined east-west capacity 6 lanes in each direction, that's 12,000 cars per hour to and from Dallas County.  That's basically 35-50k people at 3-4/car., every hour.  

Yes, if you live in Kaufman (city) and expect to travel much on the day, you're going to have a bad time.  Kaufman and Kemp are potentially a secondary destination for folks coming up from Houston through Gaza and Athens, if they don't go to Ennis area.  But those folks won't be going to Forney.

0 out of 10 of my employees living in Dallas were going to go farther east since they could already see it.  And they are engineering nerds.  I was about to announce at work that if anyone could get to my place on the day, there would be a parking space for them.  But after talking to folks I'm not going to bother.

I predict zero deaths from dehydration or starvation due to eclipse traffic in Forney.  
Stop-and-go from dawn to dark at worst.  Intense crapola during totality from people stopping wherever they happen to be at the moment.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:33:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DavidY] [#44]

Everybody always forgets US 175.  
View All Quotes

Everybody always forgets US 175.  

I stay out of the ghetto, so yes

I predict zero deaths from dehydration or starvation due to eclipse traffic in Forney.  

You're just pulling shit out of your ass and throwing it on the floor.  

NOBODY has said anyone is going to starve to death.  

If you've been involved with anything going on in the last ten years in that place, I'd keep it to myself.  That entire place has turned to shitsville and is nothing to be proud of (unless your goal was to give people from California a new place to screw up)
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#45]

If you've been involved with anything going on in the last ten years in that place, I'd keep it to myself.  That entire place has turned to shitsville and is nothing to be proud of (unless your goal was to give people from California a new place to screw up)
View Quote

That's all people wanting to pretend they're not getting swallowed up by the metroplex. I have some friends that opened a business in Pilot Point, past Prosper. I drove up there last summer. I was convinced we were near Oklahoma. Development all the way out there to the North. There would be pastures with a few cows, then subdivisions full of 3000 sqft homes, then more pasture, then more homes. You think it's not going to turn East and South at some point?

Ellis Co is the 8th fastest growing behind Kaufman.

I'd sooner go to Terrell or Waxahachie for anything if I have to drive north of I30 in Dallas.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#46]

I'd sooner go to Terrell
View Quote

Can somebody request Buc-ee's in Terrell put up a live streaming camera for the 8th?

I'm not sure you would notice anything there
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#47]

Can somebody request Buc-ee's in Terrell put up a live streaming camera for the 8th?

I'm not sure you would notice anything there
View Quote

The best part of Buccee's is the people watching. I'll stop for a cup of coffee or a coke just go inside and see what kind of people are in there. I told me son it's like going to the zoo. He looked at my crazy, then we walked in, and I was "see, there's the pink elephants."

He couldn't contain himself.

If they had benches to sit, it would be worse than those folks who would hang out in the front of the old Walmart stores, just for the air conditioning.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#48]
I've been to the Terrell one almost a dozen times and spotted ankle monitors twice

Royce City three times and no ankle wear.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By hrt4me:

View Quote

This thread about eclipse viewing locations had my curiosity.....the machinegun shoot has my attention.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

My Grandson will be 48 and I'll be dead when the next one happens. Also the last one was not close to as good as this one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top