Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2023 7:26:41 AM EDT
I am wanting to get started in hunting and would like to focus on predators such as hogs and coyotes. I am near Peachtree City, GA and have my own gear of course. Is there anywhere in the local or surrounding area I can hunt hog/coyote? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question as I am learning all of this on my own.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#1]
All over the state. Just gotta get out n find a lease or get in good with a farmer/landowner
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless you have public land near you or know someone with land you're pretty much out of luck. It's usually almost impossible to get landowners to allow a stranger to hunt on their property. It stinks but it's understandable, you may be a stand up reputable hunter but they don't know anything about you and are extremely unlikely to give you permission.

Where I live there's no public land close to me and I don't know any landowners so as much as I miss hunting I'm out of luck.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not that difficult to cultivate hunting opportunities if you take a methodical approach. However, you face stiff competition because NV and TWS's are more common and affordable thus night hunting, especially coyote, has gained in popularity in recent years.

I've had excellent success when asking to hunt coyote... BUT... in full disclosure I'm a Deputy and of course that comes with some built-in credibility. With that said, I have run across land owners that thanked me for asking but said they already have others hunting the property, meaning, others beat me to the opportunity and not being LE didn't matter.

MAKE BUSINESS CARDS- not fancy expensive ones but something basic that has your contact information on one side and maybe a small tid bit about yourself and your intentions on the other. Hand them out to everyone you encounter, feed stores, Farm Supply stores, gun stores, etc. This not only helps you get your name out there but it can generate leads where people call you, I have several hunting places as a result of word-of-mouth opportunities mainly when cattle or family pets have been attacked. Also, having a card demonstrates a degree of seriousness and/or quasi professionalism concerning the sport.

KEEP A LOG- make a log of everywhere you go noting who you asked, their contact information, and anything particular about the location or owner. A systematic method of following up MONTHS (not weeks) down the road might result in a different answer. This again demonstrates your commitment to the sport, people notice when you paid attention to details. Example- "Mr. Smith last we talked getting that gate to work was giving you trouble, did you finally get it fixed"?

STRESS THE IMPORANT-TO-LAND-OWNER THINGS WHEN ASKING- the fist words out of your mouth when you approach someone should be along the lines of "sorry to just walk up onto your property, I wanted to talk to you (while holding out a business card)" or "my apologies for the interruption, my name is (while holding out a business card)".  Stress you're seeking to take coyotes/hogs (avoid the word HUNT) only and no other game. Stress you're initially seeking limited discretionary permission, not an open door policy. Stress you won't be bringing other people. Stress no alcohol usage while on the property. Acknowledge you're a stranger and you realize you have no credibility but you would appreciate an opportunity to earn credibility.

REFERENCES- if you get hunt opportunities, it helps to mention them to new prospects. I hunt a couple high-end ranches and always mention that when I meet someone new, again, demonstrating credibility and the fact I have earned others' trust.

THANK THEM REGARDLESS- might sound obvious but be sincere. Thank people for at least hearing you out, let them know you understand their position and hopefully in the future they might reconsider. Make a statement that later on you might follow up with them to see if an opportunity has developed (don't say to see if you changed your mind) or perhaps they have come across someone you might be able to help. Again, when a family pet gets killed or livestock get attacked, word spreads.

A side note: my best place to hunt is a 3400 acre ranch that I have sole access to not only for hogs and coyote, but deer as well. It took about five years to get access to the property and I've hunted it for the past eight years. I maintained casual contact with the owner after being told no initially until one day HE CALLED ME and the rest was history.

Get well away from town, look for large farms, pastures, cattle, etc. The farther out the better.

GOOD LUCK!
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 11:49:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Brandi:
Unless you have public land near you or know someone with land you're pretty much out of luck. It's usually almost impossible to get landowners to allow a stranger to hunt on their property. It stinks but it's understandable, you may be a stand up reputable hunter but they don't know anything about you and are extremely unlikely to give you permission.

Where I live there's no public land close to me and I don't know any landowners so as much as I miss hunting I'm out of luck.
View Quote
This is not true, over the past decade I have gotten written permission to deer, hog and coyote hunt on 118 different properties.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Hello, new member from Tallapoosa here. I suggest getting some dog proof coon traps and your trapping license. Trapping coons for free for farmers has gotten me hunting permission on several properties.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top