Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2023 6:23:46 PM EDT
My son and his classmates built and launched a small boat  approximately a year ago from the Savannah, Georgia USA area. The boat is 1.5 meters long and is mostly purple.  They have been tracking it since it's launch and its current location is around 75-100 km from Wales headed towards the St Anne's Head/ Angle area of the Welsh coast. In the link below you can track its progress by selecting Purple Hurricane 2nd launch as the boat in the link below.  The kids would love it should someone be able to locate it when it makes landfall.

Purple Hurricane Tracker
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 4:29:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mmamonster] [#1]
My daughter lives in Wales, if its anywhere near I can help out.
Couldn't find the boat on the link BTW
Atb
Mart

Edit ; found it on the link
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Just off the coast of Pembrookshire.

It'd be great if someone could catch sight of it for you. Following with interest.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Scope-eye:
Just off the coast of Pembrookshire.

It'd be great if someone could catch sight of it for you. Following with interest.
View Quote

The day following my original post it decided to turn nearly due north.  I don't know anything about the currents in the area as to where it will end up .it has been a lot of fun watching cross the ocean.  

Im also impressed by the battery life of the device as it has been just shy of a year since it was launched.

I was hoping it would come ashore in Wales or Plymouth completing the circle of my family leaving England in 1620.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like it has landed in the area of St Brides Bay
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I've just checked the map and saw it looks like it's made landfall.

I'll post on a UK forum that might have someone in the area. Unfortunately I'm about as far from there in the UK as I can be and still be at the same latitude.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MedicOC:
Im also impressed by the battery life of the device as it has been just shy of a year since it was launched.
View Quote

Was it not solar charged?
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I have spoken to the Coastguard for the area and they are keeping an eye out. They won't go looking but as the area is very popular with walkers and tourists there is a very good chance they will get a call about it if it is spotted.

They asked if they could have a picture of it to help with identification. If you can post one I'll send it to them.

Apparently a scene from Snow White and the Huntsman was filmed on the coast there. Makes it even more popular with a certain tourist market which only helps bring more people to the area and increases the chances of a find.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 4:40:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scope-eye] [#8]
The Coastguard officer, Rhys, has come back to me.

He took a trip round the bay on foot and took loads of pictures and video but was unfortunately unable to find the Purple Hurricane. He really went above and beyond with this, calling it an exciting adventure.

He mentioned that the last reporting time and landfall coincided with a particularly high swell above 4m and he assumes it may now be sunk or broken up.
The coastguard service wouldn't go down to the cove without a more pressing emergency as it is pupping season for the local seals.

I'll PM the photos to you if I can.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Scope-eye:
The Coastguard officer, Rhys, has come back to me.

He took a trip round the bay on foot and took loads of pictures and video but was unfortunately unable to find the Purple Hurricane. He really went above and beyond with this, calling it an exciting adventure.

He mentioned that the last reporting time and landfall coincided with a particularly high swell above 4m and he assumes it may now be sunk or broken up.
The coastguard service wouldn't go down to the cove without a more pressing emergency as it is pupping season for the local seals.

I'll PM the photos to you if I can.
View Quote
I got your IM and pictures, thank you very much. Based on the pictures I'm afraid it has broken up and sunk. Please thank Rhys for me and the kids. They really enjoyed seeing the pictures!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#10]
You're welcome, glad to be of some help, albeit not very much.

I think you're right, the Purple Hurricane most likely was destroyed on the rocks, but someone may find something of interest and let the coastguard know. It was an exciting story and I hope the class get something from the experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top