Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2024 11:43:11 PM EDT
The APC activities are interesting. Anyone want to get together this spring and ruck some flattish trails?  I’m thinking the Rome-Syracuse-Watertown region.

@MikeyCNY
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:04:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By ADKRebel:
The APC activities are interesting. Anyone want to get together this spring and ruck some flattish trails?  I’m thinking the Rome-Syracuse-Watertown region.

@MikeyCNY
View Quote

I'm in.. like I said via text my phone autocorrected to "tucking" - I can assure you I'm not into that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Lots of great areas on Tug Hill, but muddy and make sure you don’t coincide with SNERT.  I always wanted to poke around salmon river upstream but never any time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I wish I had time to commit to it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MikeyCNY:

I'm in.. like I said via text my phone autocorrected to "tucking" - I can assure you I'm not into that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Ciraxis:
View Quote

Nobody ever spends the twilight of their life wishing they spent more time at work.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

I hear you - I usually do 4-5 mile solo rucks every other day after work - takes me a little over an hour, then a quick shower and I'm eating dinner at 6pm. On the weekend I try to do a longer one if I'm up for it, but does eat up most of the afternoon.

We could aim for one group ruck a month. I do mostly flat solo rucking but I need to learn to slow my pace - after 5-6 miles I feel too run down.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Nobody ever spends the twilight of their life wishing they spent more time at work.
View Quote

All my free time outside of work is spent dealing with kids.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#8]

All my free time outside of work is spent dealing with kids.  

View Quote

I hear ya. Family first.

But it’s funny; all my free time AT work is spent dealing with kids.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#9]

I hear ya. Family first.

But it’s funny; all my free time AT work is spent dealing with kids.
View Quote

Believe me man, I do like doing stuff with you guys, free time is just tough lately
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Believe me man, I do like doing stuff with you guys, free time is just tough lately
View Quote

You’ll get past that some day.  Don’t hurry- enjoy it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I am interested. In the Albany area but willing to travel a few hours.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:27:53 AM EDT
[#12]

@MikeyCNY
View Quote

I'll ruck Thompson Park in Watertown with ya!  
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 2:52:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tahawus] [#13]
I’m interested. I’m in Otsego County.

I coach soccer but maybe can get away a few times this spring/summer.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 7:03:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Edge-To-Life] [#14]
After April, you bet.

ETA: wife and I do the Highland Forrest loop a few times (around 8-9 miles) in preparation for the high peaks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:23:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Edge-To-Life:
After April, you bet.

ETA: wife and I do the Highland Forrest loop a few times (around 8-9 miles) in preparation for the high peaks.
View Quote

I should do that with my kids to prep them for the high peaks, they are champs when they are up there.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I am kind of in - will show up for food and drinks after, or maybe hike (weights sound bad to me) maybe if there is a way to do a shorter distance. I struggle with some medical issues, and do not want to chance foot issues...

But always in for social events!
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I would be interested in the spring. Tough to get free time during the spring semester.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I would be interested in doing something in my AO.  I am in the southern Adirondacks.

Though after looking over the APC levels, I am not going to worry about reaching any level of rating, just going out and hiking at a decent pace with gear and meeting some likeminded folks.

https://www.americanpioneercorps.org/
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:
I would be interested in doing something in my AO.  I am in the southern Adirondacks.

Though after looking over the APC levels, I am not going to worry about reaching any level of rating, just going out and hiking at a decent pace with gear and meeting some likeminded folks.

View Quote

I did have APC in mind, it'd be nice to get some local stuff going, but also just looking for group hikes. We might try for a monthly group hike at a certain location, moving it around so eventually it's closer to someone wanting to join in.

I don't know that there are many public areas in NYS where we could bring rifles, but who knows..
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I’d like to propose this:  train on our own and we’ll decide on a date in mid April where we all get together for a decent size hike, like 6 miles.  No rifles. Refreshments afterwards.
Since we are from all over, no location will be ideal for everyone.  But I’ve got some spots picked out that we can consider.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I’d like to propose this:  train on our own and we’ll decide on a date in mid April where we all get together for a decent size hike, like 6 miles.  No rifles. Refreshments afterwards.
Since we are from all over, no location will be ideal for everyone.  But I’ve got some spots picked out that we can consider.
View Quote

I could probably make that happen if I knew far enough in advance.   I'll try my best.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#22]

I did have APC in mind, it'd be nice to get some local stuff going, but also just looking for group hikes. We might try for a monthly group hike at a certain location, moving it around so eventually it's closer to someone wanting to join in.

I don't know that there are many public areas in NYS where we could bring rifles, but who knows..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

I know a few spots in the Adirondacks where I wouldn't think twice about rucking with a rifle and load out but it's going to be off the beaten path and more woods hiking than "trail" hiking so as to avoid the trail tourists.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Sounds like a good plan
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#24]
My rucking weight plates arrived, and I stuffed them in an old Camelbak Mule. I have better packs, but I wanted to test it out.  
After a few sets of dips and pushups after work, I donned my 30lbs and jumped on the treadmill. Now, before y’all jump up and protest that treadmills aren’t the same as moving across the ground, I put it at 3.5 mph, not 3mph, and incline level 2.0.
I did 3.5 miles in an hour and my shirt was pretty drenched. I have confirmation that the Mule™️ is not comfortable. No proper hip belt and weakly padded shoulder straps. It’s going to take a few workouts to get used to the weight. As an ADK hiker I usually scale down the weight as much as possible.

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Where did you get the weights from?
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#27]
My rucking weight plates arrived, and I stuffed them in an old Camelbak Mule. I have better packs, but I wanted to test it out.  
After a few sets of dips and pushups after work, I donned my 30lbs and jumped on the treadmill. Now, before y’all jump up and protest that treadmills aren’t the same as moving across the ground, I put it at 3.5 mph, not 3mph, and incline level 2.0.
I did 3.5 miles in an hour and my shirt was pretty drenched. I have confirmation that the Mule™️ is not comfortable. No proper hip belt and weakly padded shoulder straps. It’s going to take a few workouts to get used to the weight. As an ADK hiker I usually scale down the weight as much as possible.

View Quote

I've given GoRuck a lot of money over the years - boots and packs. (boots and cats and boots and cats and...)

I haven't tried their clothing because it doesn't come in "tall".. but I find the boots quite comfortable on paved roads. Bit iffy on snowy/icy paths but I haven't tried their latest footwear.

I do have an extra pack that I'd bring when we do a group outing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#28]
I haven’t forgotten you, brothers. After my coffee this morning I had a vanilla protein smoothie with 1/2 a banana, frozen berries, a mandarin orange and coconut water, and came to the gym.

30lb pack
3.5 mph
Incline level 5.0
60 minutes

Attachment Attached File

I need a fresh shirt!
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:28:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ADKRebel] [#29]
I've got some ideas for a ruck in April.  If anyone is interested, IM me your phone number and I'll start a private text convo.

@Ciraxis  got yours
@MikeyCNY  got yours
@forensicgun  got yours
@thederrick106
@penrod72   got yours
@Tahawus
@adktrapper   Got it
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Add me, if you have a time in mind let me know and I can block it off.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#31]
IM sent
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Add me, if you have a time in mind let me know and I can block it off.
View Quote
And remember - kids can ruck too! Or someone can use them as extra weight in their pack!
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#33]
IM sent
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#34]
A 5k Spartan Sprint obstacle course in Woodstock in June…

https://race.spartan.com/en/races/new-york?index=0
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#35]
A 5k Spartan Sprint obstacle course in Woodstock in June…

https://race.spartan.com/en/races/new-york?index=0
View Quote

I've thought about doing one of those before, or the MudRunner, or ZombieRun... but look at that price - cheapest option is $116?

I'm thinking about trying for ColaWarrior in June (PA is close enough)... but I've never assembled an AK and I don't like peeps.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#36]
The 1st gathering of The Empire State Arf-Road Ruckers (I just made that up) is in the books.
I showed up to ruck in shorts, but the wind and morning temps forced me into some hiking pants I had in my vehicle.  The sun came out and the wind died down (sometimes) and a good time was had by all.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And afterwards we had lunch. I’m not sure what this sign meant, but I waited until ADKtrapper was done before I entered.

Attachment Attached File

Hope to see more of you at the next event.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Looking forward to the next one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top