Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2024 6:33:00 PM EDT
I have a hiking staff I made years ago that I was going to burn animal tracks into the wood along with the name for each animal and then finish the wood.  I think I've finally realized that the animal track idea, while cool, is out of my skill level and I should just put the finish on it and call it good.  It's red mulberry if that matters. I'm trying to figure out which product to use and I have ZERO experience in this field.  Anyone have a recommendation?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:26:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the look and feel of pure tung oil, but you'll need to go at it with a few coats.

Linseed, shellac, even poly, all seem to get gummy after a while in humidity.

If you don't like one finish sand it and try another.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of look are you going for and how important is durability?

Fast and easy would be Danish oil
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't really have "a look" in mind because I don't know what's possible, I've read this wood turns reddish brown when finished but I don't know anything about that.  As far as durability, it would need to pretty durable.  It would likely get banged around a bit and get wet being used outdoors.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:15:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coffin-Nail] [#4]
In that case a Spar Urethane would probably be a good choice. I've not used a bunch but this one has decent reviews and isn't outrageously priced. No idea what the availability might be locally.

ETA: Home Depot does seem to stock Varathane and Behr brands of spar urethane for about $25.

Amazon Product
  • Ideal for use on exterior wood surfaces above the water line, including trim, railings and wood furniture

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 3:17:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm
As for the tracks idea. What about printing the tracks and the animals that made them on thin paper. Then sticking the printed paper to the staff where you want and using a wood burning tool to “trace” the tracks and letters.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 7mm-08:
Hmmm
As for the tracks idea. What about printing the tracks and the animals that made them on thin paper. Then sticking the printed paper to the staff where you want and using a wood burning tool to “trace” the tracks and letters.
View Quote

Strangely enough that was my plan but I couldn't find any templates online to print. Granted I'm not the most computer savvy person and maybe there's something I missed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:
In that case a Spar Urethane would probably be a good choice. I've not used a bunch but this one has decent reviews and isn't outrageously priced. No idea what the availability might be locally.

ETA: Home Depot does seem to stock Varathane and Behr brands of spar urethane for about $25.

www.amazon.com/dp/B000C011CE
View Quote

We have a can of some stain that says "gunstock" which I assume is the color, can I use that and then put the urethane finish over it to seal it?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:52:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Coffin-Nail] [#8]
Originally Posted By Brandi:

We have a can of some stain that says "gunstock" which I assume is the color, can I use that and then put the urethane finish over it to seal it?
View Quote

Should be fine, just give it plenty of time to dry but I can't be 100% sure without looking at the cans. Test it on a piece of scrap first though.

ETA: Some of those products are a combo stain/finish so read it carefully.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Will do, thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top