Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2024 8:54:03 AM EDT
Does anybody see a downside to getting a license plate for a SxS?

Other than wearing out tires?

https://dor.georgia.gov/registering-multipurpose-highway-vehicle

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Just adding extra ins and tax bill.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
We have a mule and I’ll drive it 4mi into town maybe once every 2 months to get gas. I just have the slow moving triangle on the back. But do have insurance on it.

The registration of a vehicle only downsides I see is tax & mandatory insurance. And if you purchased your vehicle outside of Ga you may have not paid that tax on the initial purchase.

And making your vehicle compliant with specific accessories. Mirrors, lights etc..
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:44:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emu] [#4]
I have always wanted one of those Kei trucks, but they were not legal to drive on the roads in Georgia. This may be the way that I can justify buying one for driving around town. It says that it would be legal to drive on “county” roads. I wonder if that means that you would not be able to drive it on US and State highways? That would severely limit where I could drive it. I’ll stop by the tag office in the next day or two and hopefully find out.

@7mm-08 do you know the legalities on this???
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 6:30:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: trails-end] [#5]
@Emu

Check the link in the OP and download the PDF - Policy Bulletin MVD-2023-04.  You can drive an MPOHV on county roads and cross state roads, but you cannot drive on interstates.  (Good luck getting a correct interpretation from the county tag office.)

I have the safety triangle on mine now and drive short distances, "to and from the farm," which is within the farm vehicle exemption ("low speed vehicle"), just like a tractor.  No special equipment, i.e. mirror, is required.

My main reason for getting it would be for use on county dirt roads in the mountains.  What I'm not sure about is Forest Service roads.  The bulletin states that MPOHVs are not permitted to be driven on interstates, state highways, or city streets.

Concerning safety requirements the bulletin states:  HB 121 requires that MPOHVs be equipped with headlights, brake lights, taillights, a rearview mirror, and safety belts.  Please note that these vehicles are not subject to compliance with federal
motor vehicle safety regulations for registration.

This is the house bill.  https://www.legis.ga.gov/api/legislation/document/20232024/220453
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the reply! From the looks of those regulations this whole idea is quite ridiculous. The stated limitation of driving only on county roads with a posted speed limit of 35 mph or less, invalidates the premise of this legislation. Every county road in Morgan County, that I am aware of, has a posted speed limit of 55 mph. That includes the road that I live on, so this legislation is useless for my purposes.

I’m thinking that the orange triangle is probably the way to proceed. I live on 56 acres that is zoned agricultural/Residential and is classified as a farm for taxation purposes.

Thank you for the link and the orange triangle idea. Now I need to figure out if/how to insure one of those vehicles in order to put it on the road….
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:39:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: trails-end] [#7]
I just realized that I was wrong on the "low speed vehicle" in my previous post.  An LSV is electric.  I am operating my SxS as farm vehicle, with the safety triangle affixed to the rear.

I don't see a requirement to insure a farm vehicle, but it is smart anyway.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an add on policy from progressive which is like $150 a year for my mule.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Is registration ever a good thing?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top