Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2024 4:23:44 PM EDT
So, hunting yotes at night is fine, using night vision is fine, suppressors is fine....but no centerfire cartridges??? Only shotguns????
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:37:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rebel_rifle] [#1]
Listened to a TWRA podcast a couple of weeks ago and that’s the way I understand it. The reason given was it being at night and not wanting rifle rounds hitting houses and such, etc.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that a recent change?  I thought night vision was still prohibited for coyote hunting.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, recent changes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#5]
At least it's a step in the right direction.   TWRA has a history of having to go through a couple changes before they eventually get the right combination of regs.  Maybe in a couple years they will realize that some other states have addressed concerns about hitting houses in the distance by allowing straight-walled centerfire calibers.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JPN:
At least it's a step in the right direction.   TWRA has a history of having to go through a couple changes before they eventually get the right combination of regs.  Maybe in a couple years they will realize that some other states have addressed concerns about hitting houses in the distance by allowing straight-walled centerfire calibers.
View Quote

I'm hoping within their review, they eventually extend this to public land.

A few people in West Tennessee have been petitioning for Meeman-Shelby State Forest to allow rifles if they are straight walled as well.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Until they get it right your best tool might be a shotgun with a rifled barrel and a sabot slug. My 20 ga is accurate beyond 100 yards.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Hunting with shotguns is lame as hell. Hopefully they fix this next year.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ropin4gold:
Hunting with shotguns is lame as hell. Hopefully they fix this next year.
View Quote
Why is it lame?
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 2:36:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By remarcablearms:
Until they get it right your best tool might be a shotgun with a rifled barrel and a sabot slug. My 20 ga is accurate beyond 100 yards.
View Quote

I think the reg is specific on no slugs, shot only.  

You get a barrel/load tuned with TSS #2, you have a 75 yard gun.  At least.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By xciapup:

I think the reg is specific on no slugs, shot only.  

You get a barrel/load tuned with TSS #2, you have a 75 yard gun.  At least.
View Quote

Yes.

I have some TSS#2 but the company that loaded them went out of business.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Shot only! That does suck.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

Yes.

I have some TSS#2 but the company that loaded them went out of business.
View Quote

Roll your own.  It is not that hard.  Not that expensive.  I load turkey/coyote and slugs.  That's it. Saves a little money.  Prolly not much.  But I get exactly what I want and that's the point.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:35:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: radioshooter] [#15]
In SC, you have to night hunt from an elevated stand so that any pass through or misses hit the ground. Maybe that's what you need to petition for?
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By rebel_rifle:
Listened to a TWRA podcast a couple of weeks ago and that’s the way I understand it. The reason given was it being at night and not wanting rifle rounds hitting houses and such, etc.
View Quote

"hitting houses "

LOL

If an idiot doesn't know his target or what is behind it, it doesn't matter if it is day or night.

GOD TWRA does some dumb shit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By gotigers:

"hitting houses "

LOL

If an idiot doesn't know his target or what is behind it, it doesn't matter if it is day or night.

GOD TWRA does some dumb shit.
View Quote

Government will always find a way to err on the side of micromanaging people.

Always.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 2:27:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

Government will always find a way to err on the side of micromanaging people.

Always.
View Quote

Yeah, and TWRA tends to toss in an extra helping of not knowing the subject matter that they are micromanaging.  

That's how they went from (if my memory isn't off) .357 handguns being legal for deer, to .41 being the minimum handgun that was humane for deer (shortly after the availability of single-shot handguns in calibers such as .30-30 and .308Win began increasing), to the odd period of a few years when .223 rifles were still irresponsibly weak for use in deer hunting while a .25acp handgun was somehow powerful enough for deer.

The current (if I haven't missed yet another change) rule for what calibers are legal for deer seems almost like an admission that they eventually accepted that they knew very little about gun calibers.
Top Top