Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

APC in KY (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/10/2023 11:28:40 PM EDT
Is anyone doing Pioneer stuff in Kentucky?
Is anyone going to the Warfighter Challenge in May?
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Not to my knowledge, no. There used to be groups in Louisville and Lexington, they both died out during the Rona. Subsequent attempts to revive have met with failure.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Bumping, per discussion on the APC thread.

Hoping to get some guys together to have some fun in the field.

Hikes, shooting.

I'm around Louisville. I do semi-regular ruck hikes at the Parklands, usually at Turkey Run Park.
I do lots of shooting in either Clark State forest or out at a friends out east of Lexington.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#3]
@arowneragain

I've signed-up formally on the APC website. I have  ordered a book.
I have no idea where this will go, if anywhere.

You're certainly welcome to participate if you'd like!

@unlubed
@Atropian_Defector
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!

There’s a handful of us in TN that would be interested I think.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Well shucks. I think it's a great idea. I need to get back in shape anyway.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like the APC membership part of the website is down?
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Tag from central KY
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By arowneragain:
Thanks!

There’s a handful of us in TN that would be interested I think.
View Quote

Where you at in Tennessee? I have a bunch of family in Knox County.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Warfighter actually looks like a good time. I need to get a ruck on and see if I'm up for 12 miles, probably in the next week or two.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I should be picking up my Task Book on Sunday, so I'll take a look and see if this is for sure something I'd like to commit to. I'll post events as they come up or ones that i organize. I have a few places I know of around me that are good for either hiking or shooting.  Some are public, others are on friends lands.

I've got a telegram channel that I use to post interesting stuff:
https://t.me/KYWilderness
Once some events get planned, I'll post them there too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 7255:
Not to my knowledge, no. There used to be groups in Louisville and Lexington, they both died out during the Rona. Subsequent attempts to revive have met with failure.
View Quote

I was part of some of the rucking in Louisville during coughy

I need to get my fat ass out and do more
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By craig24680:

View Quote

Where did you ruck at?
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By CreativeBall:

Where did you ruck at?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Where did you ruck at?

I'm pretty sure he was part of the same crew I was rucking with those four years ago, and those hikes were around exit 29 in Indiana and the Parklands in Kentucky.

I wish you well in starting this up.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#14]
My last 12 miler was 2.5 years ago now

Hiking the grand canyon in march, so started my train-up this week. I’m good to meet up for rucks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#15]

I'm pretty sure he was part of the same crew I was rucking with those four years ago, and those hikes were around exit 29 in Indiana and the Parklands in Kentucky.

View All Quotes

Where did you ruck at?

Pretty sure, yes

Downtown Louisville
Beckly Creek park
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been doing Turkey Run or Broad Run parks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been doing Turkey Run or Broad Run parks.
View Quote

Weather depending....how does a ~6 mile ruck sound early afternoon on Sunday, Jan 21?
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Unlubed:

Where you at in Tennessee? I have a bunch of family in Knox County.
View Quote

I’m in Maury county.

We have guys in Rutherford, Lincoln, maybe (?)Marshall county that might be interested.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#19]
If we do combine up, Bowling Green may be a reasonable meet-up
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Atropian_Defector:
If we do combine up, Bowling Green may be a reasonable meet-up
View Quote

Any ideas on where to go rucking?
I don't know what area.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:24:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Im going to do a ruck on 1/21 (Sunday) in the Parklands outside Louisville. 2:30 PM start time. Weather depending - if it's raining or snowing, I probably won't go out.
45lb pack. 6 miles.
On trail, but lots of small hills and rises.

I'm trying to keep it at the 3mph standard for APC, but if you can't do that, it's fine. Come on down anyway.

Id be happy if you would like to join me.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/DvfMagUxNF7NfRuH9
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:31:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Im going to do a ruck on 1/21 (Sunday) in the Parklands outside Louisville. 2:30 PM start time. Weather depending - if it's raining or snowing, I probably won't go out.
45lb pack. 6 miles.

I'm trying to keep it at the 3mph standard for APC, but if you can't do that, it's fine. Come on down anyway.

View Quote

Solid maybe
Highly weather depending
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 10:05:16 PM EDT
[#24]
45lb pack. 6 miles.

View Quote

Can I put rocks in a normal backpack or something? Interested in this so possibly in.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By cmmeur01:

Can I put rocks in a normal backpack or something? Interested in this so possibly in.
View Quote

Your back will hate you. Try getting a alice frame or cheap frame pack. You want the weight as high as possible/close to your shoulders. A 45lbs plate strapped to it works.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

You could...but why wouldn't you bring your 3day/mission pack along?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Blankets, beans, and rice make better weights than rocks. And you can shape the load in your pack to be easier on you.

Don't do rocks, really. Not unless you hate your spine. And hips.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#28]

You could...but why wouldn't you bring your 3day/mission pack along?
View Quote

Presumptive of you to think he has such a pack.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Presumptive of you to think he has such a pack.
View Quote

Yep, all my gear is in dry bags currently from my last canoe trip. I’ll have to do some research on the packs. From a cursory search seems like the molle packs are better than the alice packs?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:32:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ben] [#30]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:42:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Damon_23] [#31]
Is anyone doing Pioneer stuff in Kentucky?
Is anyone going to the Warfighter Challenge in May?
View Quote

As @7255 and @craig24680 said, we had a pretty active group going back in 2020. We’re getting 10-15 people together for fairly regular 10ks. Interest waned for me when APC changed and there seemed to be a push to have all organizers have prior mil experience. Not being that, I stopped promoting and organizing. At that point, support vanished. No one picked up the ball after that. Unsure what the current state of the apc is with regards to who can and can’t organize. Maybe @ben can elaborate or clarify.
I think the rucks and other extra curricular activities are great, and hope it flourishes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Ben:

I am very sorry if there was the perception that we wanted or expected organizers to have military experience. That was never the case. In fact, we have a non-prior military guy @Redbirdxx on our Board of Directors.

We did want to find prior officers and staff NCOs to act as mentors, but it wasn't a requirement at all. If you want assistance getting stuff started again please let me know. Happy to chat by phone, text, or email.
View Quote

Thanks for the quick reply. Redbirdxx is good people. He came to one of our rucks.
Many of us that participated in the BB rucks still shoot and get together often. I’ll speak with them and gauge interest.
Thanks again
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#35]

I'll take this a step farther. I will be doing a cross country trip in late March. If you get six or more people to commit, I will divert to Kentucky to teach a class on an APC topic of your choosing, at no cost, and provide all the necessary gear. Only condition is that it can't be strictly shooting. It can be a hike and shooting, or mountaineering and shooting, land nav and shooting, etc etc. I say this because lots of people mistake APC being a charity with it being a free ride. Yes- we provide ammo at shoots, but you're still paying for it. You just pay for it with sweat and effort to improve yourself instead of money.
View Quote

That sounds wonderful.
Is national forest land entirely off limits for training if we are only doing mountaineering? Id like to learn how to go Up, since going down is easy.

I may know people with a private range nearby as well.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#36]

I'll take this a step farther. I will be doing a cross country trip in late March. If you get six or more people to commit, I will divert to Kentucky to teach a class on an APC topic of your choosing, at no cost, and provide all the necessary gear. Only condition is that it can't be strictly shooting. It can be a hike and shooting, or mountaineering and shooting, land nav and shooting, etc etc. I say this because lots of people mistake APC being a charity with it being a free ride. Yes- we provide ammo at shoots, but you're still paying for it. You just pay for it with sweat and effort to improve yourself instead of money.
View Quote

That’s a very gracious offer. Time is a precious commodity.
Running it past everyone now. Unsure about the dates.  A good number of us will be in WV the weekend of 3/23 for a NV rifle match. The 30th may work. Second favorite is the 16th.
And agreed. Shooting is pretty far down the list of stuff to do. Rucks, land nav, mountaineering, comms, etc. are all more interesting and don’t require specialized facilities.

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Yep, all my gear is in dry bags currently from my last canoe trip. I’ll have to do some research on the packs. From a cursory search seems like the molle packs are better than the alice packs?
View Quote

I have both if you would like to try them out. I use the Alice mostly, but have done several multiday trips with my molle as well
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 3:55:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Do we want to get a signal chat group or something going? Is there an existing one?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Damon_23:

Running it past everyone now. Unsure about the dates.  A good number of us will be in WV the weekend of 3/23 for a NV rifle match. The 30th may work. Second favorite is the 16th.
And agreed. Shooting is pretty far down the list of stuff to do. Rucks, land nav, mountaineering, comms, etc. are all more interesting and don’t require specialized facilities.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Damon_23:

very gracious indeed

I'd be down
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Do we want to get a signal chat group or something going? Is there an existing one?
View Quote

There was a Discord server for the Kentuckiana area Battle Buddies hikes, looks like it hasn't been purged yet. Anyone interested can DM me for the Discord invite.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Good to hear you guys might get rolling again, I was unaware of the misperception that apparently derailed you guys. You had a solid group going down there, hope it can come back together.

Ping me if you get a hike together, I'd love to head down again and say hello.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#43]

That sounds wonderful.
Is national forest land entirely off limits for training if we are only doing mountaineering? Id like to learn how to go Up, since going down is easy.

I may know people with a private range nearby as well.
View Quote

When it gets warmer I can teach you the going up part if you don't mind coming to Lexington
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By scottr:

When it gets warmer I can teach you the going up part if you don't mind coming to Lexington
View Quote

I roll through Lexington frequently, so its not a big trip.
I'm looking forward to meeting you at some point.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Redbirdxx:
Good to hear you guys might get rolling again, I was unaware of the misperception that apparently derailed you guys. You had a solid group going down there, hope it can come back together.

Ping me if you get a hike together, I'd love to head down again and say hello.
View Quote

Will do
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#46]

I have both if you would like to try them out. I use the Alice mostly, but have done several multiday trips with my molle as well
View Quote

I bought a medium ruck and large molle ii ruck today on an impulse so I should be ok, I really appreciate it though.

If UPS can get my stuff from Indy to Louisville by Saturday I’m in for the hike. Looks to be cold but whatever I ran 10miles in it yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#47]

There was a Discord server for the Kentuckiana area Battle Buddies hikes, looks like it hasn't been purged yet. Anyone interested can DM me for the Discord invite.
View Quote

Just a reminder. There’s a Kentuckiana ruck server on discord. It’s a secure way of discussing and organizing rucks and stuff.
If you’re local and would like to join in, please reach out to @7255 or myself.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#48]
We have a group on signal for the HTF too

Mostly giving each other crap but it's been handy sharing info
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By scottr:
We have a group on signal for the HTF too

Mostly giving each other crap but it's been handy sharing info
View Quote

I really ought to get on Discord. Telegram eats so much of my day as it is though...
I'm on Signal already (sorta).

I'm hoping I'm in good shape on Sunday. I've been having what I think are gall bladder issues, so some days are really rough.

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm going to have to cancel my participation in the hike for today. Going through a treatment right now, and it makes it impossible to travel a distance on foot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
APC in KY (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top