Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2024 1:58:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm expecting him to sign some of the "less" bad ones.
Maybe waiting periods, RFL, and the 18-20 yo bills.
Hope I'm wrong and he vetos everything. Guess it depends on whether his people says he will lose more karens with vetos or gun owners with non vetos.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#2]
This commonwealth truly is one wrong vote from making California look pleasant.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:21:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ambridge77] [#3]
Ideally, Youngkin should veto everything immediately -
none of the buzzer-beater, a minute to midnight shit
on their respective Action Deadlines.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:28:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ambridge77] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bad2006z71:
I'm expecting him to sign some of the "less" bad ones.
Maybe waiting periods, RFL, and the 18-20 yo bills.
Hope I'm wrong and he vetos everything. Guess it depends on whether his people says he will lose more karens with vetos or gun owners with non vetos.
View Quote

I expect the same.

Bans, de facto bans, jumping through hoops
to exercise 2A rights... if he signs any of these,
then I'll never vote for him if he runs for higher
office.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:10:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glock23carry] [#5]
https1://va-constituentservices.azurewebsites.net/email(cold

Remove the 1 and the (cold

The bigger threat is the bump stock case in front of SCOTUS.  That is a back-door to putting every semi-auto on the NFA.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By glock23carry:
https1://va-constituentservices.azurewebsites.net/email(cold

Remove the 1 and the (cold

The bigger threat is the bump stock case in front of SCOTUS.  That is a back-door to putting every semi-auto on the NFA.
View Quote

Hopefully there are 5 justices that can see that. I don't have hope for any of them except Thomas and Alito though.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like the dems killed the  Restaurant ban

Left in house it now says

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?241+sum+SB57
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#8]
If Youngkin signs gun control to appease Lucas
for an arena deal after today's politicking...

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:

View Quote

I think she wants legal pot sales more… since she owns at least one shop.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HokieErik:

I think she wants legal pot sales more  since she owns at least one shop.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I think she wants legal pot sales more  since she owns at least one shop.
Give them that so theyll shut the hell up about it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:28:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ambridge77] [#11]
No vetoes for any of the first three expedited bills yet?

No vetoes = no vote for Youngkin,
along with campaigning against him
seeking office at any level.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:24:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Per VCDL twitter feed

Governor Younkin vetoed HB 46 and SB 47. Both bills required that if someone had become a prohibited person, they could only turn their guns over to someone who is 21 years or older and did not live at the same residence. He modified HB 498, which is the bill that requires schools to notify parents about gun laws that deal with children getting access to guns.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:34:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link to Governor's Actions:

https://www.governor.virginia.gov/newsroom/news-releases/2024/march/name-1023240-en.html

Good on the two vetoes.

Thank goodness Youngkin signed HB 517.
Virginia finally has an official "state pollinator"...
the European honey bee.

Tough loss for the Common eastern bumble bee
supporters.

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#14]

https://www.governor.virginia.gov/newsroom/news-releases/2024/march/name-1023240-en.html

Good on the two vetoes.

the European honey bee.

Tough loss for the Common eastern bumble bee
supporters.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#15]
he needs to veto all of them vs. letting them expire or whatever.

veto plus a nice explanation of how each one violates the Constitution and also USSC precedent.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Youngkin vetoed 20 bills today.

I didn't see any anti-2A bills among those vetoes.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Good on the two vetoes.

the European honey bee.

Tough loss for the Common eastern bumble bee supporters.
View Quote

May the sting never fade!
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Also, that sucks.

It's interesting how my Younkin supporting associates who know I'm a 2A guy have been avoiding me the past few weeks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

He will probably wait till the last minute.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:16:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: parrisisland1978] [#20]

View All Quotes

Probably seeing how many calls he gets either for or against.
You all need to call, and get EVERYONE you know to call and let him know that you will vote against him in any future offices he runs for if he does not veto these.

Pennsylvania is in the same boat as Virginia.
Both our Commonwealths have become over run with marxists, out of staters, and welfare rats tipping the elections to blue and leaving the democrat anti-gunners without fear of losing elections if they enact anti-gun and so many other anti-American laws.

They used to stay away from all the serious issues and just stay in the shadows and pass their little tax money wasting social programs.

Now us hardworking folks with families that have continued to contribute to society for generations are out numbered by the hood rats, welfare queens, and white trash that are a  spreading cancer on society, and the democrats know it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By parrisisland1978:

You all need to call, and get EVERYONE you know to call and let him know that you will vote against him in any future offices he runs for if he does not veto these.

Both our Commonwealths have become over run with marxists, out of staters, and welfare rats tipping the elections to blue and leaving the democrat anti-gunners without fear of losing elections if they enact anti-gun and so many other anti-American laws.

They used to stay away from all the serious issues and just stay in the shadows and pass their little tax money wasting social programs.

Now us hardworking folks with families that have continued to contribute to society for generations are out numbered by the hood rats, welfare queens, and white trash that are a  spreading cancer on society, and the democrats know it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By parrisisland1978:

This. I've already state in another thread that Youngkin is probably waiting till last minute to see which future voters he loses more of with veto or no veto. Suburban Karens or gun owners.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#22]

This. I've already state in another thread that Youngkin is probably waiting till last minute to see which future voters he loses more of with veto or no veto. Suburban Karens or gun owners.
View Quote

Or it could be he is vetoing hundreds of bills and his team has to write a statement for each one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Or it could be he is vetoing hundreds of bills and his team has to write a statement for each one.
View Quote

Fair enough, but I would have expected vetoing unconstitutional gun laws
would be more of a priority than establishing an official state pollinator.

Call me naive.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Could be. I'd settle with a fuck you, this shit ain't legal.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Oh, I’d much prefer to see that than the weasel words we’re going to get, but a veto is a veto!
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

+2
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:20:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Expect some sort of political fuckery, they're still trying to "compromise" on the Shelbyville monorail project / Alexandria sports stadium that Youngkin so desperately wants. Scott Surovell is a slimy f*#K and wrote some of the worst legislation passed in 2020.  I could see Youngkin allowing some anti 2A bills to go through to keep his stadium project moving forward.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Yankee-Carpet-Bagger:
Expect some sort of political fuckery, they're still trying to "compromise" on the Shelbyville monorail project / Alexandria sports stadium that Youngkin so desperately wants. Scott Surovell is a slimy f*#K and wrote some of the worst legislation passed in 2020.  I could see Youngkin allowing some anti 2A bills to go through to keep his stadium project moving forward.
View Quote

Louise Lucas is his big roadblock.  Louise Lucas wants legal weed sales, she owns at least one shop ready to start selling.  Money is going to trump principles.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Louise Lucas is his big roadblock.  Louise Lucas wants legal weed sales, she owns at least one shop ready to start selling.  Money is going to trump principles.

View Quote

$ > principles.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I contacted him when this session started and again today.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#33]
I’d do it Good Friday afternoon.  Appease the 2A crowd while the suburban Karens are on Spring break trying to keep their family from squabbling.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#34]

https://www.governor.virginia.gov/newsroom/news-releases/2024/march/name-1023794-en.html

More vetoes - none for anti-2A bills.

Veto watching is like waiting for water to boil.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Looks like he vetoed 30 of the anti2A bills, amended a few (at least one with a poison pill of mandatory minimum sentences) and signed a safe storage bill and the Glock switch ban.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:52:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ambridge77] [#36]
Looks like he vetoed 30 of the anti2A bills, amended a few (at least one with a poison pill of mandatory minimum sentences) and signed a safe storage bill and the Glock switch ban.
View Quote

Checking now that I'm home from work.

There better be some vetoes.

Nope, not seeing any vetoes this week.

Not thrilled with Governor Milquetoast.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#37]

Checking now that I'm home from work.

There better be some vetoes.

Nope, not seeing any vetoes this week.

View Quote

I’m looking at the emailed press release and the veto statements. He nuked most of the really bad ones.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#38]

I’m looking at the emailed press release and the veto statements. He nuked most of the really bad ones.
View Quote

Unfortunately, I'm very capable of being wrong,
but I'm looking for vetoes from this week and
comparing them to VCDL's political actions.

Hopefully, I end up eating crow, and it would be
preferable to anti-2A bills that become law.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
Ill have to look it up but what is the safe storage one?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Safe Storage has to deal with securing  firearms from minors deemed to be a threat.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By jeepva:
Safe Storage has to deal with securing  firearms from minors deemed to be a threat.
View Quote

Yeah. HB36/SB44, allows for parents/guardians to be charged if a "dangerous" kid gets a hold of a firearm. A bit more nuance to it, but that's the basic gist of it. HB36

For those in the Richmond area, this is the Lucia Bremer bill- it was brought by a Henrico delegate because the CA could not get a conviction on the guardian of the kid that killed Bremer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Apparently, I'm eating crow for dinner.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:15:04 AM EDT
[#45]
From a VCDL email. Looks like we're in the clear for this session. Time to kick your friends in the ass to vote next go 'round...

YES!!  Gun-control took it on the chin as Governor Youngkin stood shoulder-to-shoulder with Virginia’s lawful gun-owners today!

While we had no reason to think Governor Youngkin would sign any gun-control bills, it was still incredibly important that gun owners were proactive.  Your phone calls, emails, and postcards to the Governor bolstered him and helped make this victory possible.  THANK YOU!

The Governor vetoed 30 gun-control bills, modified 6 other gun-control bills so that they no longer pose a threat to Virginia’s lawful gun-owners, and he signed 4 bills that had been modified in the General Assembly changing VCDL’s position from Oppose to Neutral.  There are no more gun-control bills left.

There is no way the Democrats will be able to override any of the Governor’s vetoes.

The Democrats and the gun-control organizations pushed this year to go easier on violent criminals, while at the same time attacking people like you and me.  These vetoes are their just desserts for disrespecting the Constitution and minimizing the importance of self-defense for good, decent people.

Bottom line: the gun-grabbers struck out.  There are no significant changes to Virginia’s gun laws this year!  Of the gun bills that were not vetoed, there are none that are opposed by VCDL!

After the General Assembly Veto Session on April 17, VCDL will do a “Thank you” campaign to the Governor and to the Republicans in the General Assembly for their strong support of our right to keep and bear arms.

Bills signed by the Governor and will become law on July 1 (VCDL is neutral on all these bills):

HB22, Jones, makes auto sears that are illegally owned under federal law, illegal under state law.  This bill changes nothing for gun owners.  VCDL is neutral on this bill.

HB36, Willett, makes it illegal for a parent, who has been notified by a school or the court system that his child is dangerous to himself or others, to allow that child to gain access to a firearm.  VCDL is neutral on this bill.

SB44, VanVaulkenburg, makes it illegal for a parent, who has been notified by a school or the court system that his child is dangerous to himself or others, to allow that child to gain access to a firearm.  VCDL is neutral on this bill.

SB210, Perry, makes auto sears that are illegally owned under federal law, illegal under state law.  This bill changes nothing for gun owners.  VCDL is neutral on this bill.

These bills were modified by the Governor.  As modified, VCDL went from opposing these bills to either supporting them or being neutral:

SB100, requires serialization of homemade guns made after 1968 and prohibits totally plastic firearms.  The Governor removed the serialization part of the bill, improved current law by adding a protection against someone unknowingly having a plastic firearm (a gun with little or no metal components), and put in a ten-year mandatory minimum sentence for 2nd time violent offender convictions.  VCDL supports this bill as modified by the Governor.

HB173, requires serialization of homemade guns made after 1968 and prohibits totally plastic firearms. The Governor removed the serialization part of the bill, improved current law by adding a protection against someone unknowingly having a plastic firearm (a gun with little or no metal components), and put in a ten-year mandatory minimum sentence for 2nd time violent offender convictions.  VCDL supports this bill as modified by the Governor.

SB225, requires schools to text or email subjective information on guns to parents at the start of a school year.  The Governor’s amendments will require this bill to be passed again next year to take effect.  It also requires parents to be notified about a host of other things, including various parental rights and responsibilities not related to firearms.  VCDL is neutral on this bill as modified by the Governor.

SB363, makes it unlawful to possess, sell, or distribute a firearm with an altered serial number.  The Governor’s amendment makes the bill basically duplicate federal law on altered serial numbers.  This bill now changes nothing for gun owners.  VCDL is neutral on this bill as modified by the Governor.

SB515, prohibits firearms in hospitals.  The Governor’s amendments strike most of the bill’s wording, including the hospital carry ban and gun confiscation provisions.  The amendment makes it a crime to willfully provide a weapon to someone who is in a hospital getting mental health treatment.  That’s it.  VCDL is neutral on this bill as modified by the Governor.

HB861, prohibits firearms in hospitals. The Governor’s amendments strike most of the bill’s wording, including the hospital carry ban and gun confiscation provisions.  The amendment makes it a crime to willfully provide a weapon to someone who is in a hospital getting mental health treatment.  That’s it. VCDL is neutral on this bill as modified by the Governor.

These gun-control bills were vetoed by the Governor:

HB2, bans “assault firearms” and magazines holding more than 10 rounds made after July 1, 2024.  The definition of “assault firearm” is expanded to capture more types of firearms.  It also prohibits ownership of “assault firearms” by young adults. VETOED!

SB2, bans “assault firearms” and magazines holding more than 10 rounds made after July 1, 2024.  The definition of “assault firearm” is expanded to capture more types of firearms.  It also prohibits ownership of “assault firearms” by young adults. VETOED!

SB99, prohibits the carry of “assault firearms” in public areas, regardless of whether they are loaded, and removes an exemption for CHP holders. VETOED!

HB175, prohibits the carry of “assault firearms” in public areas, regardless of whether they are loaded, and removes an exemption for CHP holders. VETOED!

HB183, requires all firearms in a home, that are not being carried by the owner, to be locked up if there is a minor present. VETOED!

SB258, expands the things a judge can consider and must consider when issuing an Extreme Risk Protection Order (Red Flag). VETOED!

SB273, requires a five-day waiting period for firearm sales. VETOED!

HB318, allows for frivolous lawsuits against the gun industry in a blatant attempt to litigate a legitimate industry out of business. VETOED!

SB327, makes it illegal for young adults to purchase an “assault firearm.”  The definition of “assault firearm” is expanded to capture more types of firearms. VETOED!

SB338, creates a commission to study the social, physical, emotional, and economic effects of gun violence on communities across the Commonwealth. VETOED!

HB351, requires a person purchasing a firearm to sign a certification that no minor lives in the home, otherwise a locking device must be included with the firearm. VETOED!

HB362, adds “dating relationship” to the definition of a “domestic relationship” for purposes of prohibiting guns for misdemeanor domestic violence. VETOED!

SB368, requires all firearms in a home, that are not being carried by the owner, to be locked up if there is a minor present. VETOED!

SB383, prohibits firearms in higher education buildings unless part of an authorized program or activity in that building. VETOED!

SB447, creates a $500 fine and makes a vehicle subject to towing if there is a visible handgun inside an unattended vehicle. VETOED!

HB454, prohibits firearms in higher education buildings unless part of an authorized program or activity in that building. VETOED!

HB466, severely restricts recognition of out-of-state CHPs. VETOED!

SB491, allows for frivolous lawsuits against the gun industry. VETOED!

HB585, prohibits home-based Federal Firearms Licensees from operating within 1.5 miles of any elementary or middle school. VETOED!

HB637, creates a training program to make more frequent use of Substantial Risk Orders (Red Flags). VETOED!

SB642, adds “dating relationship” to the definition of a “domestic relationship” for purposes of prohibiting guns for misdemeanor domestic violence. VETOED!

HB797, removes NRA and USCCA training courses from the list of qualified training courses to get a CHP.  It also requires the firing of ten rounds of ammunition.  Interestingly, the House cognate for this bill, SB522, died for lack of a conference committee report. VETOED!

HB798, takes away a person’s right to own a firearm for several types of misdemeanor convictions, including simple assault. VETOED!

HB799, requires a person to be fingerprinted when applying for a new or renewed CHP.  Applicant pays the fingerprinting fee. VETOED!

HB916, creates a Substantial Risk Order (Red Flag) reporting system.  VETOED!

HB939, prohibits firearms within 100 feet of an electoral board, voter registration, voter satellite building, or a drop-off location or absentee voter precinct. VETOED!

HB1174, makes it illegal for young adults to purchase an “assault firearm.”  The definition of “assault firearm” is expanded to capture more types of firearms. VETOED!

HB1195, requires a five-day waiting period for firearm sales. VETOED!

HB1386, provides that any locality that adopts an ordinance prohibiting the public carrying of firearms shall not have workplace rules that are less restrictive than such ordinance. VETOED!

HB1462, creates a $500 fine and makes a vehicle subject to towing if there is a visible handgun inside an unattended vehicle. VETOED!

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:40:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:47:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bad2006z71] [#47]
So Tarded question.
The auto sear ban, is this just Glock switches or is this also for legal DIAS on the NFA?
I will admit, I don't know much about full auto stuff, mainly because most of it is banned and well out of my price range.

Edit: Nevermind, saw in the GD thread there is language about legal with the NFA stuff.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
I will be sending the governor a "thank you" email and call.

As should we all.
View Quote

Yes that is a great idea! We should all also make sure we get people to vote next time. If next session they have a total control, we'll be in trouble. This bill will pass and it might be a lot worse too given how they'll likely sign it. So it's important to vote next election.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
I will be sending the governor a "thank you" email and call.

As should we all.
View Quote

Email sent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top