Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#1]
We make this the place it is... If we don't like it or think there's an issue maybe we can do someting about it... I am all ears
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

We make this the place it is... If we don't like it or think there's an issue maybe we can do someting about it... I am all ears
Yes! Yes we can!

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:19:17 AM EDT
[#3]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:
When I post any place but the tech forums I expect a hijack.

This is the truth, at the most basic level. Can't stand the heat, just leave the kitchen.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:31:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:10:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I can't wait for February, so we can have this discussion again.

Won't be long, buttercup.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Christ, I can't leave you idiots alone for 3 days....

It used to be that a new guy would come along and ask a question that was asked 1000 times. Then R32, JS, myself, and a few others would come in and ask the newbie the same questions:

"Are you a fed?"

"Where is the beer?"

"Ever seen a grown man naked"

"Do you know any good places to shoot"

And a few others. People started to jump in on the game and would each ask some sort of innocuous question of the newbie.

It was all in good fun.

Then, one day, Doberdude I think, posted the original questionarre. It was loaded with all of the typical questions asked in the WAHTF by newbies and old timers alike. It also poked some fun at issues that had been drama around the HTF. Whether touching on how someone got banned or referencing posts by trolls that had been booted, etc. It was honestly, hilarious in my opinion and...

It was all in good fun.

It wasn't long until this had become the gold standard. When a newbie showed up, someone would go dig up the questions and post it in the newbie's first thread. Most of the time it would get answered. It would get answered because ...

It was all in good fun.

THEN, people, would start adding new questions that referenced the new issues or events in the HTF. Eventually the list had to be kept in the stickie at the top as an "official list". It wasn't official because it was required reading, but moreso to make sure everyone was on the same page as to what got posted as questions. It also made sure that when someone's question got added to the list, it wasn't forgotten.

It was all in good fun.

Somewhere, it went sideways and everyone decided that teasing needed to look more like gladiator school.

not fun

Somewhere, it went from waiting for the newbie to say something stupid and jumping on him/her to being an outright dick from the get go.

not fun

Somewhere it went from being a little rough on the newbies to acting as if we had no use for new members.

not fun

Somewhere in the middle of all this bullshit that I just posted is the middle ground of what is fun about the WA HTF. It was only when folks started crossing that line that they started getting locked/banned/timeoutted/shunned.

I don't want to hug and cuddle each and every new member here. When a new member comes in and asks a question that has clearly been asked 1000 times before and is answered in the stickied info at the top, I'll be one of the first to point out the new user's lack of reading comprehension. What I won't do is tell them out right to fuck off. I will, however, be keeping my eye on newbies that come in, spaz about the forum with random, unrelated, or easilly answered with a couple of clicks questions.

I love the WA HTF. And I want it to remain fun. I don't want that fun to be spoiled by newibes or old timers. People DID give me shit when I first showed up and I will continue to give newbies shit when they first show up...

I'm not going to assume that every newbie that shows up is a Neo or FriskeyFerret but I'm not making them my best friend either.

This is the Washington Hometown Forum.

This is not a technical forum

This is not GD where a bunch of strangers can bash eachother indiscriminately like it's a Youtube comment thread

This is not the EE.

This is an extension of our HOMETOWN. This means that it's likely that out of any group of us 90% actually know eachother and are likely friends. This means that friends will act like FRIENDS. It also means, just like a newbie at LCR, I'm keeping an eye on you to make sure you aren't going to fuck up and get everyone in trouble or ruin their weekend.

Same goes for here. "Welcome aboard, don't fuck it up"

Or something along the lines of all of this, it's early and I haven't had enough coffee.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, who has the arguement list?  I think we have a new one.  "Save a newbie" vs. "Bash a newbie" .   I think it's to deep of a conversation to put on the same day as AK vs. AR or 9mm vs. .45acp.  

I was thinking Thursday, but that might be beans vs no beans day.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
<snip>

Well said.

I haven't been posing much here because I feel like it's lost the fun for pure hostility.  I know it's winter and all, but it just seems worse than usual to me I guess.

Anyway, you put into words what I've been thinking.  Hopefully everyone will take it to heart.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll have a coke then...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I think part of my perspective is that since it's been so long between GTGs, I'm seeing the WAHTF as an outsider again.  

For years, the WAHTF was my favorite place to post.  It's a good balance between Internet LULZ, and real life friendships.  I'd like to make it out to  an LCR sometime, but between two new kids, job issues, recession, and absurd ammo prices, I just can't.  Maybe sometime soon.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I think part of my perspective is that since it's been so long between GTGs, I'm seeing the WAHTF as an outsider again.

That's a very fair statement.  :

Case in point

Quoted:

Where are the best shooting spots?

Quoted:

I prefer southcenter

Perspective is everything.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a very fair statement.  :

Case in point

Quoted:

Where are the best shooting spots?

Quoted:

I prefer southcenter

Perspective is everything.  

. I'm gonna get a knock on my door someday...
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#14]
PCR... The archive guru
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This means that friends will act like FRIENDS.

Are these Friends with benefits friends?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

In the words of John Lennon, "Let the fuckers work that one out." (him discussing the lyrics of 'I am the walrus')

Originally Posted By PCR-00:

It used to be that a new guy would come along and ask a question that was asked 1000 times. Then R32, JS, myself, and a few others would come in and ask the newbie the same questions:

"Paul is dead"

creepy
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

In the words of John Lennon, "Let the fuckers work that one out." (him discussing the lyrics of 'I am the walrus')

Originally Posted By PCR-00:

"Paul is dead"

creepy

They aren't going to get it, remember, THESE PEOPLE don't like the Doors, Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, etc...

Fucking Britney Spears lovers...
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

"Paul is dead"

creepy

What would it say if you played it backwards???

:snoitseuq emas eht eibwen eht ksa dna ni emoc dluow srehto wef a dna ,flesym ,SJ ,23R nehT .semit 0001 deksa saw taht noitseuq a ksa dna gnola emoc dluow yug wen a taht eb ot desu tI

....syad 3 rof enola stoidi uoy evael t'nac I ,tsirhC

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Paul is dead"

creepy

:snoitseuq emas eht eibwen eht ksa dna ni emoc dluow srehto wef a dna ,flesym ,SJ ,23R nehT .semit 0001 deksa saw taht noitseuq a ksa dna gnola emoc dluow yug wen a taht eb ot desu tI

"fu odt"

Creepier

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Paul is dead"

creepy

"fu odt"

Creepier

slow day at work?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well said.

I haven't been posing much here because I feel like it's lost the fun for pure hostility.

Come on down and let me pour you a nice big glass of vegetarian STFU.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

"Are you a fed?"
"Where is the beer?"
"Ever seen a grown man naked"
"Do you know any good places to shoot"

And a few others. People started to jump in on the game and would each ask some sort of innocuous question of the newbie.

It was all in good fun.

Then, one day, Doberdude I think, posted the original questionarre. It was loaded with all of the typical questions asked in the WAHTF by newbies and old timers alike. It also poked some fun at issues that had been drama around the HTF. Whether touching on how someone got banned or referencing posts by trolls that had been booted, etc. It was honestly, hilarious in my opinion and...

It was all in good fun.

It wasn't long until this had become the gold standard. When a newbie showed up, someone would go dig up the questions and post it in the newbie's first thread. Most of the time it would get answered. It would get answered because ...

It was all in good fun.

THEN, people, would start adding new questions that referenced the new issues or events in the HTF. Eventually the list had to be kept in the stickie at the top as an "official list". It wasn't official because it was required reading, but moreso to make sure everyone was on the same page as to what got posted as questions. It also made sure that when someone's question got added to the list, it wasn't forgotten.

It was all in good fun.

Somewhere, it went sideways and everyone decided that teasing needed to look more like gladiator school.

not fun

Somewhere, it went from waiting for the newbie to say something stupid and jumping on him/her to being an outright dick from the get go.

not fun

Somewhere it went from being a little rough on the newbies to acting as if we had no use for new members.

not fun

Somewhere in the middle of all this bullshit that I just posted is the middle ground of what is fun about the WA HTF. It was only when folks started crossing that line that they started getting locked/banned/timeoutted/shunned.

I don't want to hug and cuddle each and every new member here. When a new member comes in and asks a question that has clearly been asked 1000 times before and is answered in the stickied info at the top, I'll be one of the first to point out the new user's lack of reading comprehension. What I won't do is tell them out right to fuck off. I will, however, be keeping my eye on newbies that come in, spaz about the forum with random, unrelated, or easilly answered with a couple of clicks questions.

I love the WA HTF. And I want it to remain fun. I don't want that fun to be spoiled by newibes or old timers. People DID give me shit when I first showed up and I will continue to give newbies shit when they first show up...

I'm not going to assume that every newbie that shows up is a Neo or FriskeyFerret but I'm not making them my best friend either.

This is the Washington Hometown Forum.

This is not a technical forum
This is not GD where a bunch of strangers can bash eachother indiscriminately like it's a Youtube comment thread
This is not the EE.

This is an extension of our HOMETOWN. This means that it's likely that out of any group of us 90% actually know eachother and are likely friends. This means that friends will act like FRIENDS. It also means, just like a newbie at LCR, I'm keeping an eye on you to make sure you aren't going to fuck up and get everyone in trouble or ruin their weekend.

Same goes for here. "Welcome aboard, don't fuck it up"

Or something along the lines of all of this, it's early and I haven't had enough coffee.

STFU n00b.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

STFU n00b.

TRG

I will not dignify this comment with a response.
....shit, I just did, didn't I?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Must be a slow day in Texas.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nah, TRG occasionally gets lost on his way to the Gay & Proud forum.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

and you know this because...
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#28]
It's allways puzzled me how an open bolt SMG with a fixed firing pin can reliably set the extractor and not fire OOB.  They do have fixed firing pins, right?  I've never actually handled one.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Will a squib load cycle an AR?

No!

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

how

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well said.

I haven't been posting much here because I feel like it's lost the fun for pure hostility.

Come on down and let me pour you a nice big glass of vegetarian STFU.

Can I get a side of Colorabi and Salt with that?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:33:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

You want salt?

Imagine that...

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:16:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will a squib load cycle an AR?

No!

Neither will a laser bore sight.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:54:39 PM EDT
[#34]
What does one mean by "squib"?

Primer, but no powder?

As Molon noted, and I verified myself, a casing with a primer with no powder won't even make a sound!  Your bullet will stay firmly seated in the case, with its based singed, but won't budge a fraction of an inch.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:10:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You want salt?
Imagine that...

I bought 7 pounds of seasoning salt on Sunday!

I am ashamed to mention the brand though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:14:10 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Neither will a laser bore sight.

Precisely why we kept firearms out of the hands of knuckle-dragging Airedales.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I will be the sacrificial goat.  BRING BACK TEH MATT45.  BRING BACK TEH MATT45.  BRING BACK TEH MATT45.  BRING BACK TEH MATT45.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I will be the sacrificial goat.  BRING BACK TEH MATT45.  BRING BACK TEH MATT45.  BRING BACK TEH MATT45.  BRING BACK TEH MATT45.

If you want to be sacrificial  just start a tread about it...
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Life is funny sometimes.....

1/2 the 4 people I have on ignore keep getting locked......blatantly flagrantly breaking rules they know exist

Meanwhile Egypt goes up in flames, at the cost of our National security....

And an Arfcommer wants to die.....
My give a fuck has other expenditures.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Shutup spankymy bear.  I am sacrifizing fo matt45 yo.  Tried to speal it soe you could read better.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

My give a fuck has other expenditures.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Love this thread!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

1/2 the 4 people I have on ignore keep getting locked......

That would be 2.

Math is so hard for some of you people.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Primer, but no powder?

As Molon noted, and I verified myself, a casing with a primer with no powder won't even make a sound!  Your bullet will stay firmly seated in the case, with its based singed, but won't budge a fraction of an inch.

Also a primer only without bullet in a BHP (9mm) will cook a spider. Want to know how I know ??

ETA: But it to, won't cycle the slide.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:53:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Primer, but no powder?

Also a primer only without bullet in a BHP (9mm) will cook a spider. Want to know how I know ??

I'm reporting you to PETA!!!

Will Pam be topless ??

The bigger they are,  the more noise they make thrashing around dying.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:46:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Primer, but no powder?

primed .45 Colt case+ kitchen wax= spider plinker.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

primed .45 Colt case+ kitchen wax= spider plinker.[/div]

sure, ...........if you want to shoot them. Primer only is more a pyro tech method.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:15:28 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted: BHP

That's the odd thing about recoil operated weapons.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top