User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The idea is that weapon has a bad connotation, because weapons are used against PEOPLE.

Rather than shy away from this fact, why not embrace it?

View Quote

Indeed.

My standard response to someone who raises the "people" argument is: "Yup, some people need shooting and it's not always wrong. Any other questions?"
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I remember an instructor years ago that wanted us to use proper terminology depending on what we activity we were engaged in with a firearm. If we are carrying a firearm for self-defense then it is most certainly a "weapon". If we are target shooting, plinking or collecting then it is some thing else (rifle, handgun, shotgun, etc.). I suppose what you carry while hunting would be a "weapon" as well.
View Quote

I can't find any fault in that approach. That's pretty much how I look at it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I want to party with you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is probably from the same crowd that wants us to refer to hunting and killing deer as "harvesting" (which actually sounds MUCH creepier)

That sounds super creepy.  Makes me think of getting roofied and waking up in a bathtub with an organ missing.

I want to party with you.

I'm a wild on one!

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I did not know about the FB deal but it explains a lot. Right much of a low-brow move from pretty much one person (or a very small group) done in the name of the VCDL.

Being bullheaded on 2A matters in our Statehouse is one thing but being the same with members just to get your way on a inconsequential point is something else again.

I suspect that on the whole VCDL members are a pretty independent lot and like myself don't care to be preached to.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#5]
The whole "weapon" vs "firearm" debate is silly.    Is part of NRA firearms instructor training AFAIK - I started VCDL and I've been "corrected" by any number of NRA instructors over the years.

Same goes for "clip" vs "magazine" - there is a difference but from a transactional analysis perspective no one really wants to corrected by anyone over insignificant semantics.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top