User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Good looking buck. However, doesn't look legal for my area
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#2]

The rain was everywhere this weekend. Land not accessable unless by 4x4. We used our Kawasaki UTV 4x4. Pic doesn't so it justice, as some of the land looked like a marsh. Near Madisonville, Tx and it rained pretty much from dawn until dusk Saturday. This morning was clear skies but not as cold as they said. I saw lots of activity. One good buck about 200 yards from me, but he was running pretty quick.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#3]

good looking buck.  Out of curiosity, what was the inside spread if you measured it?
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

good looking buck.  Out of curiosity, what was the inside spread if you measured it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I didn't measure yet. Was in a rush to get to my taxidermist before he closed. I may go back in a couple of weeks and get a score on him or just wait six months and do it once the mount is done.

He wasn't very wide but that's one of the reasons I liked him. Also a prime example of why I don't always agree with the 13'' rule some counties have. His genes are out here, I was after his daddy/brother/whatever that was only a 8pt but a couple years older. .
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:26:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I didn't measure yet. Was in a rush to get to my taxidermist before he closed. I may go back in a couple of weeks and get a score on him or just wait six months and do it once the mount is done.

He wasn't very wide but that's one of the reasons I liked him. Also a prime example of why I don't always agree with the 13'' rule some counties have. His genes are out here, I was after his daddy/brother/whatever that was only a 8pt but a couple years older. .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the bolded is exactly why I asked.  It's a bullshit rule most of the time.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 1:32:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Nice. How do you like the mossberg lc? Is it pretty accurate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://s793.photobucket.com/user/mxtaco48/library/Mobile%20Uploads

Still trying to figure out how to imbed.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s793.photobucket.com/user/mxtaco48/embed/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads"></iframe>

Shot him at 6:30am this morning. Came out of a trail about 50 yards in front of me that I was huntin.  This is my second deer using Hornady Whitetail 150 grain .308 that it dropped the deer where it stood... Both time the exit wound was minimal. You can see the exit wound on the skinned pic. ... Pretty much what the doe I shot looked like. This was in Newton Cty and my lease has a minimum 14" spread.  I was pretty worried when I walked up to him and saw 5 points that I had shot too small of a deer but his spread was 14 1/4.

Nice. How do you like the mossberg lc? Is it pretty accurate?

Actually, it's a Savage Hog Hunter 308 on a MDT LSs chassis. I love it so far. Really fun to shoot and fairly accurate. Picked up Sellier and Bellot subs to shoot while in the stand  and took a few shots with it. The twist, 1:10, stabilized the round enough to be fairly accurate still.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Some ducks finally decided to come in Sunday morning, picked up a couple myself with my new Stoeger M3500  Hopefully even more will be flying in in a couple weeks when we can get out again.

My first ever ducks!

Green winged teal drake

Along with a wigeon hen
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Some ducks finally decided to come in Sunday morning, picked up a couple myself with my new Stoeger M3500  Hopefully even more will be flying in in a couple weeks when we can get out again.

My first ever ducks!

Green winged teal drake
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-kzq6uSxtaTQ/VkC9-FU6e3I/AAAAAAAAIYg/aiP2ZS7Zgpk/s400-Ic42/20151108_063625.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0oQhnP2ymxs/VkC-Cuj5_UI/AAAAAAAAIYo/H0rEJQ4tuH0/s400-Ic42/20151108_065640.jpg

Along with a wigeon hen
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mfoQrP6x3q4/VkC-I-utSxI/AAAAAAAAIYw/1v1MGX8eCj0/s400-Ic42/20151108_083141.jpg
View Quote

Very cool. I heard a few duck hunters around me Saturday morning. Actually, I think there were more duck hunters out than deer hunters because of the storms.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not going to lie, I haven't seen much this season worth shooting yet and today my buddy decided to make an appearance.

I was very tempted, but I like him.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 10:14:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know of a 12 3/4" wide buck that scored 198" that was a 9x8 typical, just a really tight rack that a guy shot.  The 13" rule is useless, luckily I don't have to deal with it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 1:58:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I know of a 12 3/4" wide buck that scored 198" that was a 9x8 typical, just a really tight rack that a guy shot.  The 13" rule is useless, luckily I don't have to deal with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably the same deer I was thinking of when I wrote my post. I've seen some great bucks that just didn't have much width.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 2:03:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Some pics I took when out sneaking around. Most pics were taken 30yds are less, multicam works.

Link Posted: 11/12/2015 5:59:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Has anyone hunted around Hamilton or Bosque counties this week?  I heard the rut might be on before Thanksgiving.  Possibly this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Has anyone hunted around Hamilton or Bosque counties this week?  I heard the rut might be on before Thanksgiving.  Possibly this weekend.
View Quote

It appears to be happening earlier than normal in most areas this year. Usually starts happening for us around Thanksgiving but the bucks have already been cruising and chasing. The doe still aren't quite ready.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It appears to be happening earlier than normal in most areas this year. Usually starts happening for us around Thanksgiving but the bucks have already been cruising and chasing. The doe still aren't quite ready.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This has been my experience exactly in Coryell county.  One buck might be a little more frisky and chasing, but the others are still meh and the does surely aren't keen.

Link Posted: 11/12/2015 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Even if I don't see a thing, it's been a good hunt.

" />

" />
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Way to go DAD!

I remember those childhood hunting trips with my father fondly. I learned how to tie my shoes at the age of 4 while sitting in a deer stand.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Way to go DAD!

I remember those childhood hunting trips with my father fondly. I learned how to tie my shoes at the age of 4 while sitting in a deer stand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Way to go DAD!

Hell, I was dropped off somewhere in the dark and told to wait to be picked up.
I'm hoping to bring my six year old nephew this year. I've already given him a AR and 22 bolt gun.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 12:40:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm hoping to bring my six year old nephew this year. I've already given him a AR and 22 bolt gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way to go DAD!

Don't worry. I'll introduce her to the tradition of snipe hunting when she's a little older.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 1:19:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Don't worry. I'll introduce her to the tradition of snipe hunting when she's a little older.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way to go DAD!

Been there; done that. By then I wasn't scared of the dark though. My cousins ran screaming into the night.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 3:19:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks like I forgot to post this in here. We ended up with a small button buck.

" />
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I didn't even hunt today. Tomorrow should be perfect.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#24]
As a guy with scope eye laying on the ground waiting for anything to walk in front of me...

You make me sick....
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
As a guy with scope eye laying on the ground waiting for anything to walk in front of me...

You make me sick....
View Quote

Sorry. I seen four bucks and ten to twelve doe on this mornings hunt. Didn't shoot anything, just watch.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sorry. I seen four bucks and ten to twelve doe on this mornings hunt. Didn't shoot anything, just watch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You make me sick....

Both my girlfriend and myself have taken 2 doe each. We are pretty much set on venison, so I'll just be a spectator now, unless mr BIG steps out.

I take that back.
We've seen more coyotes and wild dogs this year than ever before, so I'll probably be on predator control more than anything else from now on.
I had pics of 12 wild dogs under one of our feeders last weekend. They need to die.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Both my girlfriend and myself have taken 2 doe each. We are pretty much set on venison, so I'll just be a spectator now, unless mr BIG steps out.

I take that back.
We've seen more coyotes and wild dogs this year than ever before, so I'll probably be on predator control more than anything else from now on.
I had pics of 12 wild dogs under one of our feeders last weekend. They need to die.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You make me sick....

I take that back.

I'm on doe patrol now myself but have just been to lazy to shoot one since the rut is one. I had 7-8 bucks come by today with 8-9 doe. Plus it looks like I may be invited to two different places to fill MLD tags.
The only pigs I've seen are little piglets.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Got this cull the morning of the 14th, got 3 hogs in the afternoon (2 100-125lb sows that got dragged off, and one 30-40lb boar that I cleaned) didn't get any pics of the hogs though.  I'm in the lead on hogs for our lease so far this year with the one I killed youth weekend.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:30:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s197.photobucket.com/user/hadriel_photos/media/Hunting/C3FFFFD1-C116-4DEC-A27D-48B96391E4E2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa71/hadriel_photos/Hunting/C3FFFFD1-C116-4DEC-A27D-48B96391E4E2.jpg</a>

Got this cull the morning of the 14th, got 3 hogs in the afternoon (2 100-125lb sows that got dragged off, and one 30-40lb boar that I cleaned) didn't get any pics of the hogs though.  I'm in the lead on hogs for our lease so far this year with the one I killed youth weekend.
View Quote

I wish I could see a pic of him live, but from the ground check pic I'm guessing 4.5 years old. Good shoot, and good venison in the freezer!

I think we are lucky on our family land. While we do have some hogs, they all pretty much only frequent  a small 50 acre section of the property. The rest of the 300 acres is hog free judging by trail cams and lack of sign/tracks. Coyotes and dogs on the other hand....

Edit:
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I wish I could see a pic of him live, but from the ground check pic I'm guessing 4.5 years old. Good shoot, and good venison in the freezer!

I think we are lucky on our family land. While we do have some hogs, they all pretty much only frequent  a small 50 acre section of the property. The rest of the 300 acres is hog free judging by trail cams and lack of sign/tracks. Coyotes and dogs on the other hand....

Edit: http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/captwoodrow10/Mobile%20Uploads/20151122_202906.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s197.photobucket.com/user/hadriel_photos/media/Hunting/C3FFFFD1-C116-4DEC-A27D-48B96391E4E2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa71/hadriel_photos/Hunting/C3FFFFD1-C116-4DEC-A27D-48B96391E4E2.jpg</a>

Edit: http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/captwoodrow10/Mobile%20Uploads/20151122_202906.jpg

Wow. Glad we don't have those. I just chased off a group of small hogs that ran my deer off. Little bastards didn't get scared until I got just a few feet away and tried to crush ones head with a rock.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a big pack of dogs there. Good luck with removing them. How hard are they to hunt?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's a big pack of dogs there. Good luck with removing them. How hard are they to hunt?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question. I hope to find that out this weekend.
I've hunted coyotes all my life, but these beasts are another thing entirely. I don't know if they will come to hand calls, bait piles, or what.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Good question. I hope to find that out this weekend.
I've hunted coyotes all my life, but these beasts are another thing entirely. I don't know if they will come to hand calls, bait piles, or what.

Post back here after you give it a try. I'm curious to know.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Wow...pic of feral dogs is crazy.    I bet they chase off a good amount of deer.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wow...pic of feral dogs is crazy.    I bet they chase off a good amount of deer.
View Quote

Possibly. But I've seen more deer this year than ever before, just like coyotes and dogs. We are covered up in animals.

ETA more photos:

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Went ahead and shot a doe yesterday. I used 62gr Fed Fusion, shot was around 90yds, double lung and she ran around 20-30yds and fell over dead. No blood trail but nice entry and exit wounds. Once I started dragging her out of the bush the blood really started to pour out.

I already have 47lbs of burger plus the backstrap and tenders from my buck so this will be a nice boost to my yearly supply. I'll be teaching my seven year old nephew how to process, he's excited.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Sitting in my blind and I've gotta say,

People firing off rapid behind me in the next property is pretty lame. Even if it's hog control. I would wait
until night. Oh the woes of deer season.

Hi everyone!

From Outside Leona, Texas.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

People firing off rapid behind me in the next property is pretty lame. Even if it's hog control. I would wait

Hi everyone!

View Quote

That can actually push the deer to you.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi everyone!

Except when they push deer towards another neighbor blowing up tannerite.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Packing up my things and I saw a few dark figures under my feeder. No helmet mounted nvgs with me. Just my fuddy
bolt gun and a dream!

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Packing up my things and I saw a few dark figures under my feeder. No helmet mounted nvgs with me. Just my fuddy
bolt gun and a dream!

http://i.imgur.com/daRbDXu.jpg
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:17:32 AM EDT
[#42]
I had posted this last week in the reloading section.  Somehow I missed this thread.  This was supposed to be a deer hunt, oh well

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Great pics everyone, any decent areas or ranches to hunt near North austin/ceder park area hour or two from austin? Im looking to try to get my first deer, meat hunts or spikes are fine, just cant afford the 1500 and up some places charge?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Great pics everyone, any decent areas or ranches to hunt near North austin/ceder park area hour or two from austin? Im looking to try to get my first deer, meat hunts or spikes are fine, just cant afford the 1500 and up some places charge?
View Quote

Check out TexasHuntingForum.com in the outfitters and guides section. There are always a few meat hunts posted there, the exotic section will have some posted as well. Average price for a doe is around $200-300 sometimes that may include a hog.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:13:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks clharr
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Not me or mine, but a friend.  I may get a chance to hunt this property at the end of the season. It's a high fence MLD ranch west of SA.

Scored 173

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I take that back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You make me sick....

I take that back.

In the immortal words of the Sheikh of Natty Light...OK.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Not me or mine, but a friend.  I may get a chance to hunt this property at the end of the season. It's a high fence MLD ranch west of SA.

Scored 173

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=82982
View Quote

I saved this one for you. What more do you want? Geeze!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/clharr/Hunting%20101/WGI_0498_zps3wgg0vzv.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scored 173

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/clharr/Hunting%20101/WGI_0498_zps3wgg0vzv.jpg

It appears there are guys in this thread that would pay you to hunt him.

If your freezer is full and you haven't bought another I'll probably pass and stick to nuisance reduction (reducing nuisances by killing hogs, coyotes, and leaving before my welcome runs out.)  The Mrs. wants to buy a freezer, so maybe next year I'll try to con you guys out of a doe.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If your freezer is full and you haven't bought another I'll probably pass and stick to nuisance reduction (reducing nuisances by killing hogs, coyotes, and leaving before my welcome runs out.)  The Mrs. wants to buy a freezer, so maybe next year I'll try to con you guys out of a doe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scored 173

I actually almost shot him last week as I watched him breed a doe, but decided he would be good for a friend or guest. We need his genes gone. If he's still around the last couple weeks of December and I see him......

Go buy the wife a freezer, they are worth the money.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top