Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:50:25 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
yeah really..im looking at 3-4 recievers myself, and gettin hit at $37 a pop per transfer is getting raped.  

Where in NY are you located? I'm not sure how close you are to rochester or if you could make a trip out to the FFL the day of or before the build but jackson guns and ammo does transfers for $20.

If possible I'd like to do the build sometime in early january. Right now I'm a little strapped for $
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
yeah really..im looking at 3-4 recievers myself, and gettin hit at $37 a pop per transfer is getting raped.  

$37 a pop? Get it from Jacksons in Rochester and leave your house an hour early. Even all the slimy FFL's ive dealt with over the years never charged that much and they only hit you once for as many guns as you had transferred at that time.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#3]
i'll be getting mine though my dealer. I buy so much shit through him he dont charge me a tansfer fee for stuff like this.

I was thinking about it today. I think it would be best to wait till JAN. the month of DEC will be TIGHT for me cause of shopping for the fam, and by the sounds of it alot of other guys here are in the same pinch. plus if we wait till after x-mas I can ask santa clause for some cool furniture for the build!!!

I'm going to put the dates out there at either the 12th, 19th, or 26th of JAN. that will give everyone some time to get over the holidays.

out of those 3 dates which do you guys want. I need to make the reservations?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
if a bunch of us are going to build from prebent receivers would it be possible to get a dealer to give us a discount on transfer fees?

fp1201 is in a lean-too somewhere near Mt. Marcy.
Even farther North than that
The other thing i forgot to make mention of last night is that we might need to add a welding device to the list of needed things for permanently attaching muzzle devices. The solder past didnt turn out so well last time. TIG ? ARC? Im not too familiar with the different disciples of welding but if we could get a welding device there, that would be great.
I have know idea what happened with the solder paste....maby it went bad?
However I do have a nice Lincoln MIG welder with an Argon tank.  
I guess ill throw some dates out there say 12-1, 12-8, or 1-6 look good. I dont think we want to get any closer to christmas than 12-8 as most people have christmas parties and shopping to do, etc. Whatya guys think?
the time frame doesn't matter too much as long as it isn't during the holidays or the weekend of the Albany gun show in January
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Two pieces of info you might not know.
There's a harbor freight in Syracuse.
In my experience, Nodak recievers are fastest to build on.

I'll keep an eye on the thread but I don't think I'll be able to come.....

Actually its in North Syracuse

Uh, where?  I'm sitting in my office in North Syracuse as I type this.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#6]
what happened w/ the solder paste?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Get it from Jacksons in Rochester  

Where/who is Jacksons
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where/who is Jacksons

CLICK HERE

He's a great guy to deal w/ can't go wrong with him.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where/who is Jacksons

CLICK HERE

Thanks, Think I will check out this place over the weekend.
Don't know how I've managed to over look this though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where/who is Jacksons

CLICK HERE

Thanks, Think I will check out this place over the weekend.
Don't know how I've managed to over look this though.

It's based out of his house so I don't think you can just stop into check it out but he is totally legit and is the only place I will go through when ordering new guns or having transfers done.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I just noticed.

"By Appointment Only"
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey guys.  I am interested in building too.  I have six flats,  a flat bending jig,  and rail bending jig all from akbuilder.  Been sitting on these for awhile and have not built an ak before.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It's based out of his house so I don't think you can just stop into check it out but he is totally legit and is the only place I will go through when ordering new guns or having transfers done.

Yep, Mr. Jackson is a great guy to deal with! He's the only one that I'll use for transfers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hey guys.  I am interested in building too.  I have six flats,  a flat bending jig,  and rail bending jig all from akbuilder.  Been sitting on these for awhile and have not built an ak before.

The more, the merrier! You are more than welcome to join us.

We did this about 8 months ago and had a really good time. With this next one in December/January we are trying to improve on perfection and streamline our process. We have a good idea about what works and what doesnt.

One thing we do think that might save us (and you) some trouble and strife is bending up the flats before the day of the build.

Glenn- Sounds good on the MIG welder; I think that will prove to be a big monkey off our back(s) being able to weld those muzzle brakes on FOREVER. Not to mention that we will probably see a huge drop in crime once our rifles are fully NY AWB compliant

As for Date's- The weekend of 1/12 is MLK Day. I know alot of people probably use the extra day to travel or come home from college, go snowmobiling, protest white opression etc. Personally im in favor of 1-5 or 1-19
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#15]

As for Date's- The weekend of 1/12 is MLK Day. I know alot of people probably use the extra day to travel or come home from college, go snowmobiling, protest white opression etc. Personally im in favor of 1-5 or 1-19

I was kinda going for the 19th, I didnt want to do it on the 5th because there might be alot of people still running around because of the holidays. the other guys gotta chime in and say when they want to do it!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm good w/ the 19th.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#17]
19th is good with me.

Would it be possible to build 2?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
19th is good with me.

all depends on how much you do at home first...if you completely demiled both with all rivets out and got a gearpuller and pressed the barrel out then I don't think it would be unreasonable to do two...
if you've never done one before then I'd plan on only one though...the learning curve for a lot of us = 1 gun in 1 day...but now I feel like I could do multiples with all the right tools in front of me
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#19]
cowboyrick is on the list.  

The date will be set at 1-19-2008, that will give us plenty of time to get everything set.  screen-name, let us know if the club isn't available then.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#20]
1-19 works best for me
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
19th is good with me.

Im gonna give it a try. I think i absorbed enough info last time that I can pull it off. If youve never built one before i suspect it may be a little tough

The 19th sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I plan on building two, one to use as a basic shooter and the other to collect.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
19th is good with me.

Im gonna give it a try. I think i absorbed enough info last time that I can pull it off. If youve never built one before i suspect it may be a little tough

The 19th sounds good to me.

I'm going to try 2 as well, one Yugo and one of these bad boys:

Hopefully we can keep everything moving smooth so that those of us building more than one can complete them.

Either that, or 'camp-in' at the club and make it a two day affair.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#24]
mmmmmm x54R
where did you get the kit?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
mmmmmm x54R

+1
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Thirsty- Do we want to get this kicked off earlier than 10am? It sounds like a few of us are gonna go for a 2-bagger. Maybe 8am if screen-name can get the club that early.

Also what essential items do we still need? I think we should plan on not having gunwolf's gear or guidance so we might have to pitch in and purchase some building equipment. Unless we can get a confirmation that the guys attending have these tools we should probably start planning to purchase them, no? Just off the top of my head:

-Rivet jig
-Rivet pincher or rivet pinching jig
-press (frtyfivesvnty's H.F pumpkin job seemed to do the trick nicely)
-Trunnion jig (to hold the trunnion in place while pushing out the barrel)
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:09:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Thirsty- Do we want to get this kicked off earlier than 10am? It sounds like a few of us are gonna go for a 2-bagger. Maybe 8am if screen-name can get the club that early.

Also what essential items do we still need? I think we should plan on not having gunwolf's gear or guidance so we might have to pitch in and purchase some building equipment. Unless we can get a confirmation that the guys attending have these tools we should probably start planning to purchase them, no? Just off the top of my head:

-Rivet jig

Thirsty has the plinker jig from last time so we'll be covered on that front...that will do everything but the trigger guard so we'd another jig for that...the press is going to be necessary if we have this many to do...not to mention, we need it to use the rivet jigs.
Would be nice to have the 20 ton again, but a 12 will work...maybe frtyfivesvnty would be willing to rent us his press...

beyond that multiples are always good...having two drill presses last time sped things up...it would be nice if we could have a couple of vices as well since that was a bottleneck last time...other multiples that aren't necessary but would be nice: grinder, dremel, hammer/punches.

if we are going to buy jigs than the barrel pin jigs look halfway decent too...that way you don't have to beat on your nice 74 kit with a 4lb hammer
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#28]
how many kits per guy to build up?

id love to build up 2 Romy G kits ive got sittin here...one is a real..umm..shooter grade kit

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:35:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
mmmmmm x54R

I won an auction on gunbroker.  Comes with the trunnions unlike the Centerfire Systems kits, where they assemble the trunnions into a receiver.  Fortunately Centerfire also carries 100% Romanian made PSL receivers with no trunnions.  I swore I'd never buy from them because of their no mags to NY policy, but they're the only seller holding what I need.

I think it's going to be a lot of work to build, but I'm looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:41:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

-Rivet jig

He was a huge help, has anyone tried to contact him and see if he wants to join us again?

Lets make it 8am.  I'll update the first post.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:12:08 AM EDT
[#31]
thirsty

count me in (dependin' on weather....and whether I can convince
the better half that AK-addiction can cure AR-addiction)

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:18:53 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
thirsty

count me in (dependin' on weather....and whether I can convince
the better half that AK-addiction can cure AR-addiction)

Gotcha!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Myself and one other are looking into this, be fun for sure!

I have you and a friend on the list.  

You better believe it's going to be a good time.  A bunch of like-minded gun nuts in a room taking what is essentially scrap metal and turning them back into functioning rifles.  Doesn't get any better than that!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:17:46 AM EDT
[#35]
I have two that are ready to build (AFAIK) with high end receivers.
Being a Federal Empolyee, we will have the 19th off, so that's good with me (not set in stone, just a good day)  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm the friend Cold was referring to.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:04:19 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'm the friend Cold was referring to.

You're on the list!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:39:02 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Rivet jig

He was a huge help, has anyone tried to contact him and see if he wants to join us again?

I sent him an IM last night. Ill let you know what I hear.

Jrkarp- From your question earlier, The Harbor Freight is in the plaza with little ceasars at the corner of Route 11 & Bear Road.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:41:22 AM EDT
[#39]
soooooooooo what kinda kits everyone bringing if they go?

I just got these two in..though the one is missing its rear trunion, pgrip screw and triggerguard....  im tempted to build the one of these, and the other G kit i'm sitting on.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Rivet jig

I sent him an IM last night. Ill let you know what I hear.

Jrkarp- From your question earlier, The Harbor Freight is in the plaza with little ceasars at the corner of Route 11 & Bear Road.

Is it really?  

That's a couple miles down the street from my office.  I guess I don't pay attention to that plaza much now that the Blockbuster moved to the Marketplace Plaza.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I just got these two in..though the one is missing its rear trunion, pgrip screw and triggerguard....  im tempted to build the one of these, and the other G kit i'm sitting on.

i110.photobucket.com/albums/n83/Dieter122/Gmis.jpg

I would like to build a yugo (or two) what other kit would someone recommend other than a yugo if i just want a shooter?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I'm curious too...what's everybody building? I'm still torn on building an AMD or a Romy...maybe I'll put that ugly E. German furniture (that I got from Tim) on the romy for an all weather AK I have many kits, but not very many that I want to build while I'm in NY.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would like to build a yugo (or two) what other kit would someone recommend other than a yugo if i just want a shooter?

Romy G...

Yugo kits are worth a ton more $$$ now than Romy kits...

I sold my fixed stock M70 kit for $270 shipped!  Now I have a Yugo UF kit i'm sitting on and planning to sell to get more 5.45 ammo probably
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Ive got 2 Bulgarian 74' kits. One is getting black polymer furniture and one is going to be a russian paratrooper clone with a non folding FSE metal stock.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Anything really.  If you want the most inexpensive rifle possible, that's a Romy G.  If you don't mind the expense and want to branch out, you have several options.  

In 5.45 you have:
Polish Tantal: $279.99
Polish AKMS: $249
Bulgarian SLR-105: $329.95
Bulgarian AKS-74U Krink: $689.99
Bulgarian AK-74S: $349-$429
Bulgarian RPK-74: $1000-$1499

In 5.56 you have:
IMI Galil: $219 (w/o barrel) $279(w/barrel)
Zestava M95A: $499
Zestava M85 Krink: $1000

In 7.62x39 you have:
Hungarian AMD-65: $199.99
Yugo RPK: $199.99
Yugo M70: $449.99 (virgin folder) $175-$250 (used fixed stock)
Polish AK-47 underfolder: $279.99
Czech VZ-58: $89.99 (Not compatible with AK compliance parts)
Romanian PKM beltfed: $1600
Romanian "G": $120

ETA: There are undoubtedly other kits out there that I haven't seen in my own search.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anything really.  If you want the most inexpensive rifle possible, that's a Romy G.  If you don't mind the expense and want to branch out, you have several options.  

In 5.45 you have:
Polish Tantal: $279.99
Polish AKMS: $249
Bulgarian SLR-105: $329.95
Bulgarian AKS-74U Krink: $689.99
Bulgarian AK-74S: $349-$429
Bulgarian RPK-74: $1000-$1499

In 5.56 you have:
IMI Galil: $219 (w/o barrel) $279(w/barrel)
Zestava M95A: $499
Zestava M85 Krink: $1000

In 7.62x39 you have:
Hungarian AMD-65: $199.99
Yugo RPK: $199.99
Yugo M70: $449.99 (virgin folder) $175-$250 (used fixed stock)
Polish AK-47 underfolder: $279.99
Czech VZ-58: $89.99 (Not compatible with AK compliance parts)
Romanian PKM beltfed: $1600
Romanian "G": $120

ETA: There are undoubtedly other kits out there that I haven't seen in my own search.

I'm very much a noob to AKs, where can I find the above kits?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I'm very much a noob to AKs, where can I find the above kits?

Cope's Distributing
Military Gun Supply
Centerfire Systems

Keep in mind, Centerfire Systems will not sell any kind of magazine to NYS, low cap/high cap/pre-ban... nothing.  If a parts kit comes with a magazine, expect them to refuse to ship the kit to you.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Again, Im not AK informed so help me out, but all one needs is to buy one of these kits ranging from approx 275-1K and thats it, then just assemble and weld accordingly? Or does one also need to buy these "flats" which I see for around 75 bucks give or take?

The kit has everything but the receiver and compliance parts.

You can build from flats, but they require a lot more work.  Check out NoDak for complete receivers.  They are good quality and pretty inexpensive.  They are considered firearms, so you'll have to transfer them through an FFL.

You also need 6 US made parts in your rifle to satisfy the ATF's 922r import ban rules.  You can't assemble a 100% foreign-made 'assault weapon,' it has to have 6 US made parts to be legal.  There are 15 or 16 parts an AK has that qualify for the parts count.  You'll need any 6 of the following: receiver, barrel, hammer, trigger, disconnector, pistol grip, stock, hanguard (upper and lower handguards count as 1 part), gas piston, muzzle device, magazine body, magazine floorplate, and some others I can't remember.  

Cope's sells a compliance part kit that comes with a US made muzzle brake, trigger, disconnector, hammer, and gas piston.  These five parts plus your US receiver make 6 parts and a legal rifle.

ETA- I don't know if the compliance parts kit is compatible with 5.45, maybe someone else can chime in.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Again, Im not AK informed so help me out, but all one needs is to buy one of these kits ranging from approx 275-1K and thats it, then just assemble and weld accordingly? Or does one also need to buy these "flats" which I see for around 75 bucks give or take?

The kit has everything but the receiver and compliance parts.

You can build from flats, but they require a lot more work.  Check out NoDak for complete receivers.  They are good quality and pretty inexpensive.  They are considered firearms, so you'll have to transfer them through an FFL.

You also need 6 US made parts in your rifle to satisfy the ATF's 922r import ban rules.  You can't assemble a 100% foreign-made 'assault weapon,' it has to have 6 US made parts to be legal.  There are 15 or 16 parts an AK has that qualify for the parts count.  You'll need any 6 of the following: receiver, barrel, hammer, trigger, disconnector, pistol grip, stock, hanguard (upper and lower handguards count as 1 part), gas piston, muzzle device, magazine body, magazine floorplate, and some others I can't remember.  

Cope's sells a compliance part kit that comes with a US made muzzle brake, trigger, disconnector, hammer, and gas piston.  These five parts plus your US receiver make 6 parts and a legal rifle.

ETA- I don't know if the compliance parts kit is compatible with 5.45, maybe someone else can chime in.

I'm interested as well, because I want to build a 5.45.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top