BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks. That is what I think I am going to do.

As noted.I already have one so I can use my uppers. If I was in a different situation not sure what id do.

Now I need to start another clock to see how long it takes to get my refund back
View Quote

Haha yea they don't move quick when it benefits you

But I know exactly what you mean...I probably have about a week left for my 2nd sbr...I didn't even notice the wait this time.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The first was the worst and that was back when it only took 6 months. This one was submitted in nov. Better than I thought honestly. Oh well.

Off to the CLEO next week to get my new f1 signed and 2 f4's
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

But I know exactly what you mean...I probably have about a week left for my 2nd sbr...I didn't even notice the wait this time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As noted.I already have one so I can use my uppers. If I was in a different situation not sure what id do.

Now I need to start another clock to see how long it takes to get my refund back

when do they move quick?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

when do they move quick?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

when do they move quick?

When they cash your check.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:59:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

when do they move quick?

Thats for sure. I sent mind in a few weeks ago and they cashed the check as soon as they got it, now i have a 9+/- month wait
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Just found out my postban was approved 2 days ago.  
So any guys planning on sending out a form 1, just make sure you send a copy of the AW Cert as well and there'll be no issues.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the update. Sending my postban CT reg'd Form 1 out next week after I get the CLEO sig

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#8]
So I got a call on Thursday from the ATF regarding my form1 SBR on a preban.
Same story, need a CT AW reg letter to get the form through.
I called SFLU and explained.
At first, the woman said they couldn't do anything. After a couple minutes on hold, she said OK.

The whole reason you need to get the AW reg is because you are technically changing the date of manufacture by submitting a form1.
So the ATF would be breaking state law by letting you own an unregistered  AW in CT that was manufactured after 9/14/94.

So CT is actually doing us all a favor by accepting the late registration forms.
They said they are doing this because the law is referring to the original date of manufacture, as they see it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
At first, the woman said they couldn't do anything. After a couple minutes on hold, she said OK.

The whole reason you need to get the AW reg is because you are technically changing the date of manufacture by submitting a form1.
So the ATF would be breaking state law by letting you own an unregistered  AW in CT that was manufactured after 9/14/94.

So CT is actually doing us all a favor by accepting the late registration forms.
They said they are doing this because the law is referring to the original date of manufacture, as they see it.
View Quote

There are guys on here that understand these laws better than I, but here is my take:

1.  CT isn't doing us any favors.

2.  If SBR-ing a preban is changing the date of manufacture, then everyone that SBR-ed a preban for the last 19 years is breaking the law by running flash hiders, etc on those SBRs, since they are technically no longer prebans.  That is incorrec.t
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Thier whole reason is bullshit.  Iceman is 100% correct. If it was legal before this pos law it should be legal now with a preban just like it was during the last 20 yrs.

Fuck them for making laws up and I sure hope nothing happens to anyone here who got a post dec 31 aw cert cause that is clearly illegal based on the law.  Funny how they can make shit up that is illegal and not follow the law as written
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#11]
That would be something.  The state decided to go after all post Dec 31 registered AW...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#12]
You guys are right......
So if you registered your AW BEFORE Jan 1, and then you submit a form 1....the information for the receiver you registered is incorrect because the date of manufacture is now different on that receiver that you registered, once its been SBR'd in CT's eyes........

Now all us should try to wrap our heads around that one  We are getting into Back to the Future territory now
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There are guys on here that understand these laws better than I, but here is my take:

2.  If SBR-ing a preban is changing the date of manufacture, then everyone that SBR-ed a preban for the last 19 years is breaking the law by running flash hiders, etc on those SBRs, since they are technically no longer prebans.  That is incorrec.t
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on his descriptions of his communications with SLFU and ATF, each agency has its own interpretation. SLFU is continuing to interpret the act making an assault weapon into a short barreled rifle to not have the effect of changing its date of manufacture- that is to say that a so called preban retains its status. ATF interprets the making act to change its status.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#14]
And that right there is where the bullshit from the ATF lies.

During the Clinton AW ban, they did not interpret it that way, NOR after the 94 ban sunset, when CT still had and AW ban. They never interpreted the date change via form 1 until this POS law came to be.

Why now? and the kicker is written right with OUR new law we have a 1994 exemption clause.  Someone at the ATF needs to go back to law school.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
And that right there is where the bullshit from the ATF lies.

During the Clinton AW ban, they did not interpret it that way, NOR after the 94 ban sunset, when CT still had and AW ban. They never interpreted the date change via form 1 until this POS law came to be.

Why now? and the kicker is written right with OUR new law we have a 1994 exemption clause.  Someone at the ATF needs to go back to law school.
View Quote

On a side note during the ct AWB - you could not make a post ban into a pre ban via short rifle or aow! All laws
Still applied
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You guys are right......
So if you registered your AW BEFORE Jan 1, and then you submit a form 1....the information for the receiver you registered is incorrect because the date of manufacture is now different on that receiver that you registered, once its been SBR'd in CT's eyes........

Now all us should try to wrap our heads around that one  We are getting into Back to the Future territory now
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:18:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Based on his descriptions of his communications with SLFU and ATF, each agency has its own interpretation. SLFU is continuing to interpret the act making an assault weapon into a short barreled rifle to not have the effect of changing its date of manufacture- that is to say that a so called preban retains its status. ATF interprets the making act to change its status.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

CT law, regarding prebans, states "provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.".
On a Form 1, part 4a asks for the original manufacturer.
So regardless of the fact that a Form 1 updates or changes a date of manufacture, both agencies understand it could have, originally, been made prior to the Form 1.

So, YES, the state is doing us a favor by recognizing its preban status and giving us a reg cert.
I don't see how we would be in trouble if they went after late registrations. You could always show what the law states, the fact that the original date of mfr is prior to 9/13/94 and therefore the rifle is exempt.

Quoted:
During the Clinton AW ban, they did not interpret it that way, NOR after the 94 ban sunset, when CT still had and AW ban. They never interpreted the date change via form 1 until this POS law came to be. CT still doesn't recognize the Form 1 date as "original manufacture".
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:23:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Side Note: Not that May people sell their SBRs but if you register it, it will not be transferable anymore in CT
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:30:31 AM EDT
[#19]
If we have to go through all this BS for a Pre Ban I will SBR one of my post ban lowers. I can't legally sell those in CT now. Otherwise it kills the value of the pre-ban lower. Not that I plan to sell. Pre-bans are only worth money in a couple states. In most states a pre-ban is just old.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top