Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I just need to file a 5320.20 dated after Jan 1.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Recommendations on a place/lawyer for the trust?

Looks like I need to figure out how the other states are creating NFA trusts so I can get rich off you gun nuts!
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like I need to figure out how the other states are creating NFA trusts so I can get rich off you gun nuts!

I went ahead and emaild David Goldman.  Anyone else have any other suggestions?
C&R is filled out and will go registered mail tomorrow.  I can't believe this topic isn't blowing up this forum.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I honestly think it's because not a lot of people really know. It was so obscure and hidden, I bet most folks aren't even aware of what a great thing just happened. Sure the C&R is kind of an extra hoop to jump through...but man, talk about the best $30 I EVER spent!
Just glad I did it a few months ago!

DC
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#5]
So what exactly are the steps after getting the c&r? Whats the next form to fill out and when should it go in the mail?
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok so I started to fill out the form and I get to the part about nonimigrant alien certification having to have a hunting license, so I didnt fill out that section since I am not a nonimigrant alien, but in the instructions it says you have to have a hunting license...

WTF ?

Is that correct or am I reading that wrong?
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok so I started to fill out the form and I get to the part about nonimigrant alien certification having to have a hunting license, so I didnt fill out that section since I am not a nonimigrant alien, but in the instructions it says you have to have a hunting license...

WTF ?

If you are a US citizen you just skip that section.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 3:19:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I emailed David Goldman about the possibility of setting up a trust:

His response:

A trust cannot hold a C&R license.  CA has the same law and lots of people wanted to buy C&R and convert them to modern firarms.  Unfortuantly once you change the C&R it looses the C&R status and becomes illegal.

Be careful.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 5:46:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Doesnt apply. The new provision doesnt require the firearm to be a C&R. Just a C&R as a requirement for possession.

DC
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 6:04:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I went ahead and emaild David Goldman.  Anyone else have any other suggestions?

C&R is filled out and will go registered mail tomorrow.  I can't believe this topic isn't blowing up this forum.

A lot of people aren't into it and don't get it or think the effort and expenditure of $200 is a waste.

I've spoken to a few gun owners recently and when it ever comes up I say I want to get a SBR I get

Then I tell them I'd really love a suppressor but we can't have them.  They tell me those are stupid, what do I want one of those for.

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 6:30:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I think that has a lot to do with why it actually got passed. It is such a niche. I mean hey, it's cool that those of us that want them can now have them, but i see that it's just such a small percentage of gun owners...even educated ones. Now...can we just slip supressors through somehow??

DC
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF ?

If you are a US citizen you just skip that section.

I figured that's what it was... just like the government... can't even make the instructions easy to understand.

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#13]
What's the steps for getting a SBR???? What forms need to be filled out????
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#14]
My C&R application was delivered to the BATFE on Thursday, and my credit card already has been charged.
Too bad they don't work that fast to actually process your paperwork!
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Read this thread
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_23/494514_.html

Then go here for forms
http://www.atf.gov/
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Woohooo!
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Curios and Relics Collector Federal Firearms License ("C&R"):
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html
Application:
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5310-16.pdf
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-20.pdf

National Firearms Act:
Application to make and Register a (NFA) Firearm ("Form 1")
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf
"Making" an SBR requires a $200 tax along with engraving the maker's info on the firearm, along with registration and stringent transportation and possession restrictions.
If you'd happen to be purchasing an existing SBR from an individual or dealer, you would instead complete a "Form 4" transfer application along with the same $200 tax.

Would strongly advise those don't have enough information to make informed decisions or actions for NFA firearms. to review the following:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_51/199905_SBR_FAQ.html
And to peruse the NFA forums...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/51_Short_Barrel_Rifles__SBR_.html
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/50_Class_3_Legal_Issues_And_Questions.html
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/17_General_Class_3.html
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm sure someone here knows for sure, and if this isn't answered before the weekend, I'll check through the NFA forum to find out myself...

But...

Can a factory made SBR be transferred through any FFL, or does the FFL have to have a Class 3 SOT?

If so, anyone know of any Class 3 Dealers who will do a transfer in IL?

I'm referring specifically to a LaRue 12" OBR
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 1:27:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Can a factory made SBR be transferred through any FFL, or does the FFL have to have a Class 3 SOT?

I was wondering the same thing actually.  I wouldn't mind to have something like a factory 6933.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering the same thing actually.  I wouldn't mind to have something like a factory 6933.

I think the answer to that is....eventually.  It is definitely going to take sometime for everyone to 1.) learn about the legislation and 2.) wrap their minds around it.

Link Posted: 8/22/2012 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Is this for real?
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is this for real?

Indeed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Tag a Rooney!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 7:38:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Is anyone aware of a NFA friendly CLEO who will actually sign off in DeKalb county?
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 8:51:39 AM EDT
[#25]
What happens if you let your license expire after attaning SBR? Do you need to keep the 03 for as long as you own said SBR
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What happens if you let your license expire after attaning SBR? Do you need to keep the 03 for as long as you own said SBR

That would be my understanding of it. Unless and until Illinois amends the law in the future that permits such ownership w/o the FFL requirement.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is anyone aware of a NFA friendly CLEO who will actually sign off in DeKalb county?

I need to talk to my CLEO but I don't foresee it being an issue.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Mine was mailed on the 13th, CC hit on the 16th, and now the wait begins. . . . .

Link Posted: 8/25/2012 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm sure someone here knows for sure, and if this isn't answered before the weekend, I'll check through the NFA forum to find out myself...

But...

I'm referring specifically to a LaRue 12" OBR

Factory SBR's would need to be transferred thru an SOT.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Hmmm, this may make my NFA Trust that much more useful since some of the trustees will be on you guy's side of the river.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hmmm, this may make my NFA Trust that much more useful since some of the trustees will be on you guy's side of the river.

The BATFE has to wonder why all the increases in C&Rs.  I mailed mine 8/22 and credit card charged 8/26
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, my C&R check was cashed last Monday.  I wonder when I'll get the license.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Mine took about 3-4 weeks to get to me once they charged my card. Just did it at the beginning of the summer.

DC
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Mine took about 3-4 weeks to get to me once they charged my card. Just did it at the beginning of the summer.

DC

Wow - that's quick.   I was expecting a several month long wait.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Do I need to keep a log if I have NO plans of buying anything C&R?  I just want the Brownells Discount and the SBR option.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Do I need to keep a log if I have NO plans of buying anything C&R?  I just want the Brownells Discount and the SBR option.

You would have to have a log. It would just have nothing in it. Non C&R firearms owned previous to possession of a C&R are not required to be logged. But because you are in IL you have to be tracking those for 10 years any way.

JR

Link Posted: 8/29/2012 4:46:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Any firearms, C&R or not, owned prior to receiving your 03FFL, are not logged.  You must log any C&R disposed by any method (sold, willed, gifted, etc) owned prior to, or while
currently licensed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Non- C and R firearms bought do not need to be logged if you have a license though right?
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#39]
A C&R (03) license only permits you to receive such firearms without a FFL (01).  It does not authorize or provide any priviledge above a non-licensee for non-C&R.

Your bound book is solely for C&R firearms.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/collectors.html
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
A C&R (03) license only permits you to receive such firearms without a FFL (01).  It does not authorize or provide any priviledge above a non-licensee for non-C&R.

Your bound book is solely for C&R firearms.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/collectors.html

Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 3:38:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Does anyone have a link to the pages to put in the binder?  I'm not buying book to not log anything.   A binder's ok, right?

Quoted:
Quoted:

You would have to have a log. It would just have nothing in it. Non C&R firearms owned previous to possession of a C&R are not required to be logged. But because you are in IL you have to be tracking those for 10 years any way.

JR

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 5:42:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Binder is fine...shoot me an IM with your email and I can send you what I made in Excel if you like.

DC
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#44]
The bill is intended and written to allow someone with a C&R to own ANY SBR. You need to keep a valid C&R. YOu do not have to put the SBR into the bound book unless it is a C&R type firearm.

We are working with local dealers and ATF to get everyone up to speed on this. the ATF was not aware of the change until I informed them. The manufacturers have a lot of questions as do dealers. several of th dealers I spoke with in the Collar Counties are looking at getting the license to be able to transfer them for people.

any questions just ask as I wrote the bill.
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Welcome aboard back Todd!
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The bill is intended and written to allow someone with a C&R to own ANY SBR. You need to keep a valid C&R. YOu do not have to put the SBR into the bound book unless it is a C&R type firearm.

We are working with local dealers and ATF to get everyone up to speed on this. the ATF was not aware of the change until I informed them. The manufacturers have a lot of questions as do dealers. several of th dealers I spoke with in the Collar Counties are looking at getting the license to be able to transfer them for people.

Yes - any SOTs you know of around the north end of the state who can transfer a SBR?
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#47]
working on it. I kow at least two 07 manufacturers and a few FFLs ae looking into getting their class III, just give it sa little time to sort itself out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes - any SOTs you know of around the north end of the state who can transfer a SBR?

Krebs Custom out in Wauconda ought to be able to hook you up.

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Can you provide us with an account of how the bill came about including and struggles?
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 7:09:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Krebs Custom out in Wauconda ought to be able to hook you up.

Aah yes. Thanks.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top