Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Still want to know who the gunsmith will be and when the shop will be opening.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still want to know who the gunsmith will be and when the shop will be opening.
View Quote

At the first of the year after SHOT. Our gunsmith is finishing out a Gov contract with his current company and asked me not to disclose his name until it is finished. Knowing him for 20+ years, I was willing to wait just to get him at our facility, he was my first choice to have at ESS. I appreciate everyones patience.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Their website says 7 days a week but just in case any one was thinking about it
I was told they will be closed for  Thanksgiving day
Which is just fine with me all though after spending the day with all my sisters, etc I think I'll go over on Friday to release some stress
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#4]
a buddy was there yesterday.  said some guy on the 100yd range, had his boresighter in, chambered a round, finger hit the bang button, and fireworks ensued.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
a buddy was there yesterday.  said some guy on the 100yd range, had his boresighter in, chambered a round, finger hit the bang button, and fireworks ensued.

View Quote

First, hopefully everyone is ok.  Second, waiting for the details.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 12:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stupid shit like that is inevitable at a public range.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not exactly.  Before, it was a $10 initiation fee +$350 ($360).  Now it's a $49.95 initiation fee +$34.95 per month ($469.39).  That's an extra $109.39, for the math impaired like me.    Not a substantial amount, but it's not a few bucks for sure.

And when did they change their hours??  They were 8am to 10pm, now it's 9am to 9pm.  Granted, I likely wouldn't have been there at 8am, but was certainly planning to go in the evenings on a regular basis (arriving 8:30-ish).

I won't speculate as to why...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The pay upfront annual memberships are sold out, but you can still get an annual membership with monthly payments. If I remember correctly it comes out to be only a few dollars more than the pay upfront memberships were going for.

Not exactly.  Before, it was a $10 initiation fee +$350 ($360).  Now it's a $49.95 initiation fee +$34.95 per month ($469.39).  That's an extra $109.39, for the math impaired like me.    Not a substantial amount, but it's not a few bucks for sure.

And when did they change their hours??  They were 8am to 10pm, now it's 9am to 9pm.  Granted, I likely wouldn't have been there at 8am, but was certainly planning to go in the evenings on a regular basis (arriving 8:30-ish).

I won't speculate as to why...

That sort of difference is a big deal in my book. About a 33% price increase.
And I agree on the evening hours. With HOV lanes and horrible traffic pushing back departure times during the week, the NRA's late hours are what keep me active.

Was the cheaper annual membership just an early adopters' special?  This all coincided with a very bad time, personal life wise.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Get off your high horse, it seems like you are one of those people that is has to be all about you.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Pretty disappointed they don't allow full auto yet. They won't let you shoot during normal hours. Not worth a membership to me if I have to beg and plead an off time to get to shoot a gun. Im not sure why they're so prohibitive about it; you figure anyone who actually has a full auto kniws what theyre doing and are less likely to violate safety rules or cause an incident. At least blueridge allows full auto. Sigh.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Get off your high horse, it seems like you are one of those people that is has to be all about you.
View Quote

I assume you're replying to YukonBoy03??  First, welcome to the VA HTF.  You've got a great way of making friends.  Second, I've met him and he's not a jerk, he's just like you - a guy with an opinion.  But his reply was on topic and you're just replying to hurl insults.

If you don't want to discuss the actual topic, take it to General Discussion.  Trust me, they will welcome you with open arms.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:56:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

what the hell are you talking about?

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Visited yesterday, nice facility...  Something to keep in mind if you are going with multiple platforms... The 100y range will not allow targets closer than 25y (at least my bay wouldn't)...
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Visited yesterday, nice facility...  Something to keep in mind if you are going with multiple platforms... The 100y range will not allow targets closer than 25y (at least my bay wouldn't)...
View Quote

that's good to know.

so if you want to move to a range that allows something closer, like for pistols, do you have to pay again?
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

that's good to know.

so if you want to move to a range that allows something closer, like for pistols, do you have to pay again?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's good to know.

I'm an annual member and have done just that on occasion.  Not a problem, of course.  I've gone from 100 to the 25 several times, spending about 45 min in each.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pretty disappointed they don't allow full auto yet. They won't let you shoot during normal hours. Not worth a membership to me if I have to beg and plead an off time to get to shoot a gun. Im not sure why they're so prohibitive about it; you figure anyone who actually has a full auto kniws what theyre doing and are less likely to violate safety rules or cause an incident. At least blueridge allows full auto. Sigh.
View Quote

I was planning on swinging by this weekend, but no full-auto means I'll be going to Sharpshooters instead.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 3:07:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Shot there yesterday.  Great range, very friendly staff.  Went a few minutes over my hour and they were cool about it even though it was crowded.  Highly recommended.  My 13 year old daughter, however, said the staff at the snackbar were arguing over facebook, so she didn't order.  Other than that.....
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm coming over from Stafford tomorrow morning to try the 100yrd range!
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I know it has been awhile since I have been on but as all of you can imagine I have been extremely busy. First I would like to take the time to Thank You all for your support. The range is doing extremely well thanks to you all. I would like to answer a few of the concerns that have not been answered. Someone just mentioned here and over on another forum that we do not allow full auto yet. That information is NOT correct, we do allow it and in fact we have had several folks who have followed our guidelines shoot full auto. Our guidelines are simple call ahead and make arrangements in most cases we can accommodate you. We will have a staff member go on the range with you and asses your ability to shoot full auto in a safe and effective manner and then give you the clearance to do so. It's important for everyone to understand there are certain things we are looking for when folks want to shoot full auto. As an experienced full auto operator and sub gun instructor myself I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you JsbsMarine all ego's aside, just because someone owns a full auto one can not assume they can operate a full auto correctly. First and foremost we need to asses the operator to make sure they are safe and I think everyone is in agreement that is the right thing to do. As far as the 100 yard range goes that is correct we do have a minimum distance of 25 yards and prefer that only long guns are used on that range to keep range damage to a minimum. We are more than happy to move you from the 100 yard to another range so you can shoot handguns without having you pay an additional charge.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:01:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I know it has been awhile since I have been on but as all of you can imagine I have been extremely busy. First I would like to take the time to Thank You all for your support. The range is doing extremely well thanks to you all. I would like to answer a few of the concerns that have not been answered. Someone just mentioned here and over on another forum that we do not allow full auto yet. That information is NOT correct, we do allow it and in fact we have had several folks who have followed our guidelines shoot full auto. Our guidelines are simple call ahead and make arrangements in most cases we can accommodate you. We will have a staff member go on the range with you and asses your ability to shoot full auto in a safe and effective manner and then give you the clearance to do so. It's important for everyone to understand there are certain things we are looking for when folks want to shoot full auto. As an experienced full auto operator and sub gun instructor myself I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you JsbsMarine all ego's aside, just because someone owns a full auto one can not assume they can operate a full auto correctly. First and foremost we need to asses the operator to make sure they are safe and I think everyone is in agreement that is the right thing to do. As far as the 100 yard range goes that is correct we do have a minimum distance of 25 yards and prefer that only long guns are used on that range to keep range damage to a minimum. We are more than happy to move you from the 100 yard to another range so you can shoot handguns without having you pay an additional charge.
View Quote

Thanks for clearing these things up!
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I just spent 2.5hrs on the 100yrd range.  I drove up from Stafford and arrived right a 9am, took the orientation and went to my lane for some sighting and slow fire with a new rifle.  Everyone was professional and pleasant, even the guy who came in to tell me they were working a waiting list for the 100yrd range and I needed to speed things up a bit.    I liked the spaciousness of the lanes, the 100yrd target camera, good lighting, climate control, clean bathrooms, etc., etc.  Overall this was an excellent experience and I know I'll be back to use the facility again!  My only frustration was to see that knuckleheads have already managed to shoot the walls and ceiling, C'Mon Man.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just spent 2.5hrs on the 100yrd range.  I drove up from Stafford and arrived right a 9am, took the orientation and went to my lane for some sighting and slow fire with a new rifle.  Everyone was professional and pleasant, even the guy who came in to tell me they were working a waiting list for the 100yrd range and I needed to speed things up a bit.    I liked the spaciousness of the lanes, the 100yrd target camera, good lighting, climate control, clean bathrooms, etc., etc.  Overall this was an excellent experience and I know I'll be back to use the facility again!  My only frustration was to see that knuckleheads have already managed to shoot the walls and ceiling, C'Mon Man.
View Quote

que?

I am excited to make a trip out there. Finished a 300 pistol upper this past weekend and put some new glass on my 20" BCM
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#22]
The 100yrd range has target cameras at the 100yrd point so you can see your shot placement without having to return the target after each string.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The 100yrd range has target cameras at the 100yrd point so you can see your shot placement without having to return the target after each string.
View Quote

my one beef is the targets are SLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW to move.  So at 100M it isn't an issue, but if you are shooting at closer ranges its a PITA.

Otherwise, great range.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Love the range.  My only issue so far is the lack of lighting where you shoot from.  I have a fiber optic front sight and since there isn't much light, its more difficult to see.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Love the range.  My only issue so far is the lack of lighting where you shoot from.  I have a fiber optic front sight and since there isn't much light, its more difficult to see.  
View Quote

hmmm... almost all of my pistols have HiViz front sights haha
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I really should stop in and check the place out, I drive by it every day.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#27]
ESS, your right. My bad for the assumption part, I realized I've weeded out shooting with non-shooters over the years and I've learned to trust the full auto owners I've met.
Thanks for the clarification on full auto sessions, I misunderstood whoever I talked to on the phone.
Looks like I may have to spend some money on a membership..
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you speaking about Elite Shooting sports in Manassass?  I've been on the 50 or 100 yard ranges and there's TONS of light for my Acog.  The Chevron & BDC are clear as day at that place!
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Are you speaking about Elite Shooting sports in Manassass?  I've been on the 50 or 100 yard ranges and there's TONS of light for my Acog.  The Chevron & BDC are clear as day at that place!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotta disagree, at least on the 25 and 50 yd ranges. I have an rmr equipped pistol with auto brightness feature, and the dot is extremely hard to see. There's no direct light in the actual booth/lane.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Gotta disagree, at least on the 25 and 50 yd ranges. I have an rmr equipped pistol with auto brightness feature, and the dot is extremely hard to see. There's no direct light in the actual booth/lane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, ESS.  I've only shot at the 25 yard range and so far only on the 'primary' 25 yard range which is the left most one when you are looking through the glass.

Maybe next time I'll take my headlamp.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:07:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good point.  I was sighting in two ACOGs and it was hard as hell to see.  I wish I had brought a chem-light.  Maybe a light switch in the booths?
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

as gumpy cat would say...
No.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

my one beef is the targets are SLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW to move.  So at 100M it isn't an issue, but if you are shooting at closer ranges its a PITA.

Otherwise, great range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Otherwise, great range.

You know perception is everything in todays day in age, we like immediate gratification and I am the same way. The reality is for the target system to go the full 100 yards takes less than 60 seconds. Keep in  mind they were designed that way for reliability reasons moving a 120 pound piece of equipment up and down a rail is no small task which is one of the many reasons why this particular system is the most reliable system on the market today.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

We are working on that. I just haven't quite found the proper yellow type LED lighting that I want to put in the booths that isn't more of a distraction than bennificial for shooting. We tried a few different types of LED strips and found it was better without them than with them. We will get it right I promise.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

We are working on that. I just haven't quite found the proper yellow type LED lighting that I want to put in the booths that isn't more of a distraction than bennificial for shooting. We tried a few different types of LED strips and found it was better without them than with them. We will get it right I promise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI, If you want to mimic daylight you'll want to get LEDs that are 5600k in temperature.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You know perception is everything in todays day in age, we like immediate gratification and I am the same way. The reality is for the target system to go the full 100 yards takes less than 60 seconds. Keep in  mind they were designed that way for reliability reasons moving a 120 pound piece of equipment up and down a rail is no small task which is one of the many reasons why this particular system is the most reliable system on the market today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Otherwise, great range.

no argument.  I was sighting in new glass on 5 rifles so I started at paper at 10.  verify at 25 and then zero at 100.  back and forth.  It ate time.  I am nit picking at this point.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe that is telling you something about your front sight
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#39]

-----

Owners of older local gun ranges said they aren’t concerned about Elite Shooting Sports or other high-end ranges, but they do grumble a bit about them in class-like tones.

It’s for the people who have money that the rest of us don’t have,” said Carl Roy, the president of the Maryland Small Arms Range in Prince George’s County. “Is it bad? Is a country club bad for golf? You might not be able to afford to golf there, but it doesn’t hurt the game.”

-----

Ok, so let's get this straight.  At Maryland Small Arms Range it's $20 to shoot a pistol and $25 to shoot a rifle.  At the NRA it's $15 and at Sharpshooter's it's some weird formula of $25 a month plus $10 an hour or something.  But the $20 ESS charges is for the "people who have money that the rest of us don’t have"?  Do I have that right?

What an asshole that guy is.  I hope his range goes out of business for the lies he just spread.

Greg, keep up the good work.  You've got a great facility that you and everyone at ESS should be proud of.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#40]
If I read the range rules correctly, M855 (XM855, SS109, etc) is a no-no at ESS:

"Use only the correct ammunition designated for your firearm. Armorpiercing/
steel core and tracer ammunition is specifically prohibited. ESS
staff understands the difference between steel jacketed and steel core. As
a user of our facility you are expected to have the same understanding."
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.  Love the fiber optic front sight.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Steel core will not treat a range well.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#43]
That's refreshing, at least you can use some Russian ammo (Wolf, various Bears, etc). Competitions also don't like steel core, does a number on the steel.

Quoted:
If I read the range rules correctly, M855 (XM855, SS109, etc) is a no-no at ESS:

"Use only the correct ammunition designated for your firearm. Armorpiercing/
steel core and tracer ammunition is specifically prohibited. ESS
staff understands the difference between steel jacketed and steel core. As
a user of our facility you are expected to have the same understanding."
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#44]
My buddy and I are planning on playing hooky from work tomorrow and visiting ESS for the first time.  Anything in particular a new visitor should know before heading there (we're planning on arriving ~9AM)?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My buddy and I are planning on playing hooky from work tomorrow and visiting ESS for the first time.  Anything in particular a new visitor should know before heading there (we're planning on arriving ~9AM)?
View Quote

You check in at the front desk and they will register you in their system.  You pay the $10 initiation fee and then watch a short range rules video.  You then go to the range counter and get a lane, proceed to the lane and have some fun.  Pretty easy and I was on the 100yrd line in about 20 minutes.  Read their rules (on-line) and make sure you're not shooting steel core.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Just got back from my first visit to ESS.  Boy, is that a nice place.  Staff was very courteous as well.  The target sender/retriever thingamajig is super nice; I really hope the knuckleheads don't eventually break them - the same knuckleheads that managed to shoot up the walls already (seriously, how do you do that!?).  Looking very much towards my next visit.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Just got back from my first visit to ESS.  Boy, is that a nice place.  Staff was very courteous as well.  The target sender/retriever thingamajig is super nice; I really hope the knuckleheads don't eventually break them - the same knuckleheads that managed to shoot up the walls already (seriously, how do you do that!?).  Looking very much towards my next visit.  
View Quote

I've been meaning to mention it, but how in the HELL can people shoot the tops of the cardboard target holders on the 25 yrd ranges?  Seriously, how?  Someone is literally aiming at the ceiling to perform that feat.  And judging by the amount of strikes, it's happening ALL THE TIME.

Hopefully those things aren't easily damaged.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:55:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I've been meaning to mention it, but how in the HELL can people shoot the tops of the cardboard target holders on the 25 yrd ranges?  Seriously, how?  Someone is literally aiming at the ceiling to perform that feat.  And judging by the amount of strikes, it's happening ALL THE TIME.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it is downrange, it will get shot.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL - Murphy's Law, huh?

I'm still baffled how people can strike the TOP of those carriers.  I shot on a lane where both my carrier and the one next to me had over a dozen strikes, each.  Terrifying.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#50]
I've "heard" it happens when people have a new scope on a rifle, and are trying to zero from the standing position.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top