Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shearon said he had been to Montgomery to discuss the bill, and felt the majority of other sheriffs disagreed with the bill. The safety issue is his primary concern, but he mentioned the removal of permits would also mean a loss of funding to sheriffs’ offices around the state that could be used for the “betterment of law enforcement.”
http://www.clantonadvertiser.com/2017/04/03/sheriff-disagrees-with-firearm-related-bill/

It's always about the money.
View Quote
At least they're admitting it now.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The thing is I don't really believe there will be a big drop in the permits. You still need one to CCW over state lines.
View Quote
I'm sure they won't.

I will still have to buy one.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
At least they're admitting it now.
View Quote
Rest assured, whenever someone says: "Its not about the Money" it always is.

Also agreed, this won't decrease the number of permits purchased by any great amount, some Sheriffs just get really upset when any part of their little fiefdom appears under attack (like most politicians) there was also wailing and gnashing of teeth when they did something about making it "shall issue" IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#6]
And I have the feeling that the voices of 60+ sheriff's will trump those of hundreds of thousands of Alabama citizens who will then sit on there hands and do nothing at election time.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#8]
"A new statute requiring citizens to complete a firearm safety training course before getting a permit is needed, he said."

A course to be taught by the sheriff's department? With a cost of what, $25, $50, or even $100 with the money going to the sheriff's pocket and not the county cofers.

A gun permit does not make any LEO safer.  Again, it's still only about the money.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#13]
If you don't know your state legislators or have their contact info at hand... find it here:

http://capwiz.com/state-al/home/

Write and call.  Make yourself heard.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Spring 2017 Editorial Board

Alabama Senate Bill 24 would allow people to carry a concealed firearm without a permit within state lines. It was recently approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee, and it’s now on the way to the Senate floor. We hope to see the bill’s demise. If it passes, we are concerned Alabama will become a more dangerous place to live.

It would loosen restrictions on carrying guns near courthouses, jails, prisons and other government facilities. Additionally, gun owners would be allowed to carry firearms at organized protests.

Allowing this is especially bad given the typical context protests operate within: an atmosphere of discontent and sometimes anger that could culminate into violence.

The bill’s sponsor, Sen. Gerald Allen, R-Lineville, defends it by claiming it would serve to protect the Second Amendment. Specifically, Allen claims removing the need for a permit and the background check getting a permit entails would clarify to people their right to bear arms is given to them by the Constitution.

Removing background checks from the process is a move that will serve to place more guns into the hands of people who should not have them.

It’ll also make it easier for good citizens to carry guns without other people knowing, which has been the center of the message Sen. Allen is conveying.

It is our view that the disastrous consequences of having more guns in the hands of people who may be mentally or emotionally unfit to have concealed weapons outweighs the convenience of everyone else who wants to have a concealed gun without having to pay a small permit fee and undergo a background check.

Lee County’s Sheriff Jay Jones also stands against the bill, stating, “It would increase the likelihood of individuals having firearms that shouldn’t have them in the first place.”

Paying a small fee of $5-20 and having to undergo a background check is a small price to pay for protecting Alabamians from gun violence, and no amount of personal convenience can diminish that fact. Moreover, to forego life-saving background checks and to disguise it to Alabama’s voters by claiming it’s what our Founding Fathers would’ve wanted is immoral.

http://www.theplainsman.com/article/2017/03/editorial-loosening-gun-regulations-isnt-the-way-to-go
View Quote
The Founding Fathers didn't want to pay tax on tea.. they sure wouldn't want the government to require you to have a permit to carry a weapon or use a printing press  ..
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Our View: Gun rights, yes; but we should outright halt Senate Bill 24

The Constitution of the United States includes the Second Amendment, and that law clearly states the right for American citizens to bear arms.

Americans also have the right to vote. But to do so, they must register first.

It should be the same for anyone desiring to carry a concealed weapon.

For that reason, the proposed Senate Bill 24 making its way through the statehouse should be defeated, despite the national wave of populism that would make it a vote-getter to support.

Our nation has voter registration in place because it serves as a preventative measure against abuse by ensuring the voter is qualified, and thus it protects the integrity of those who are; convicted felons and illegal aliens are among those who aren’t.

Likewise, requiring a permit to carry a concealed weapon is an important tool in preventing gun abuse. It is not an infringement upon Second Amendment rights, which remain fully protected and aren’t going away despite what fear-mongers spew.

Gun control and gun rights are among the top social debates in our nation and won’t be going away either anytime soon, because our constitution assures there always will be guns, and sinister or sick-minded killers assure there always will be abuse.

Debates within the debate include perceived threats to the Second Amendment such as proposed bans or limits placed on assault rifles. That and similar debates shouldn’t be confused with this one on concealed-carry permits, and here’s why:

Although laws already allow the rights to carry long-barrel firearms and open-carry, or exposed, firearms, current law requires a permit to carry a handgun that is concealed. Law-abiding citizens will have such a permit and willingly and often proudly register and serve notice that they carry.

Bad guys don’t do that. They steal guns, don’t register them, and they hide them until they commit a crime, often violent.

Therefore when a police officer investigates suspicious behavior and discovers an illegal weapon, if no permit exists, an arrest can be made. Time after time upon further investigation, authorities realized that seizing that illegal weapon helped prevent a much worse crime.

It’s like voter registration: Those who understand the privilege understand the integrity involved; those who don’t abuse it. It’s the same with being able to hide a handgun.

Every local law enforcement agency, including police chiefs who get zero funding from gun-permit revenue, is adamantly against Senate Bill 24.

These are police officers who get into the business because most are good with a gun.

If they tell us, as they are, that it is a scary thought to give criminals free reign to carry hidden weapons that can’t be tracked or accounted for under a no-permit law, then we should listen.

Otherwise, the abuse that comes will be invited, and we have enough of that already without giving a green light to more. Criminals, by nature, are lazy. Making it easier to carry a hidden gun makes it easier for violent crime.

Law-minded gun owners shouldn’t fall into the same laziness and should understand why the small monetary fee and effort to fill out a registration card matters so much to a law officer simply trying to protect us and keep stolen weapons off the street, let alone protect themselves.

Lawmakers should put an end to Senate Bill 24, and leave the law as it stands today.

http://www.oanow.com/opinion/editorials/our-view-gun-rights-yes-but-we-should-outright-halt/article_5fee9498-0802-11e7-9e03-7b6a23963e75.html
View Quote
Ok, so register for free. Then be able to carry however you like, open or concealed.  My vote is private, whether I'm carrying a pistol or not should be too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#22]
All of this talk is so stupid.. we have made it clear that permits aren't tied to a car tag or even a driver's license.  This is NOT a public safety issue.
So whether or not a person has a permit is not known until asked. "It allows us to take a concealed weapon away and look for other crimes" I've heard.
If a crime is committed, take the weapon away anyway. If it's a habitual criminal, he's not abiding by the law anyway, so whether SB24 passes of not will have ZERO effect on him
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for posting that.  I can't seem to find the article on the WBRC web page.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Huzzah!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Now if the House can prevent itself from snatching defeat from the jaws of victory
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/Bamashooter/madison%20county%20sheriff_zpshz7ju0bz.jpg

Check out the Madison County Sheriff position if SB24 becomes law. Wow.
View Quote
Disgusting, but I was expecting some sheriffs to try to do this same thing.  I hope the AGs office does some 'splain to the Sheriffs.....

If they keep this up, wait until the bill that will come up next year cutting the sheriffs out completely.

Personally, I will still get my pistol permit just so I can travel armed out of state.  I guess some of the SOs would rather get rid of all their pistol permit revenue instead of some of it.....
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#32]
I love seeing all of these claims that the permits are "powerful law enforcement tools."   Make the sheriffs prove it...  
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Refusing to stand up for our rights and refusing to follow the law.  Madison county deserves better than a lawless sheriff.

11/06/2018 can't come soon enough.  If Alabama GOP is smart they are looking for a replacement, because Blake is going to lose next year.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wow indeed.

"Screw with us, we'll screw with you...."

Kind of hard to respect a person who takes such a public childish stance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/Bamashooter/madison%20county%20sheriff_zpshz7ju0bz.jpg

Check out the Madison County Sheriff position if SB24 becomes law. Wow.
Wow indeed.

"Screw with us, we'll screw with you...."

Kind of hard to respect a person who takes such a public childish stance.
Fixt.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Fuck Blake Dorning.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I keep seeing this over and over. Just read an article about Chief Roper here in the 'Ham.  
"it's a matter public safety"   How? How is it a matter of public safety?

"we understand their concern regarding fees, but we think there are other ways to go about it"

What does that mean?  Either they understand that we shouldn't have to pay a fee for a right guaranteed by the Constitution, or they don't.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#38]
I wonder if the good sheriff will also revoke the permits of all those in Madison County if SB 24 passes.  Since he has stated he will not issue permits, a case of "I am the law syndrome", will he also incorrectly apply 13A-11-75(2)a - "The sheriff may revoke a permit issued under subdivision (1) for any reason that could lead to a denial of a permit under that subdivision", and revoke every permit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#39]
They are terrified about losing their slush funds.

Limestone County sheriff furious over concealed carry vote

LIMESTONE COUNTY, AL (WAFF) -            
Limestone County Sheriff Mike Blakely is furious that the Alabama Senate passed a bill allowing people to carry a
concealed handgun without a permit.
"A lot of people who are right to carry people try to say I'm anti-second amendment, and totally ludicrous,” he said Blakely.
The bill, approved 25-8 is heavily criticized by law enforcement. They say it puts them in danger.
"This is some bad legislation," said Blakely.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Blakely is a Democrat and has been in the job for decades.

Admittedly, his conceal carry process is pretty damned easy.  Walk in, do the form, pay the fee, walk out.  10 minutes tops.  15/year.

Alabama Sheriff's Association voted him best Sheriff in Alabama this year - so you know he's goose stepping with the ASA.

Fuck Blakely and Dorning.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Peer pressure is a bitch. 

Or do departments have policies that prohibit John Q. Law from talking to the press like that?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#43]
When can I put up my "it's happening" Ron Paul gif?  
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Roger that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I got into trouble for posting truths about the changes to the Shall Issue law back when it was about to be passed.

Me and my sheriff don't agree on the laws and I was told to stop being critical of him and others.
View Quote
I'm as skeptical as they come, but you're a good man Charlie Brown.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Blakely is a Democrat and has been in the job for decades.

Admittedly, his conceal carry process is pretty damned easy.  Walk in, do the form, pay the fee, walk out.  10 minutes tops.  15/year.

Alabama Sheriff's Association voted him best Sheriff in Alabama this year - so you know he's goose stepping with the ASA.

Fuck Blakely and Dorning.
View Quote
With a rusty bail of barbed wire.  I had a problem with a customer many years ago who lived in Athens and he had his daddy call Mike Blakely who then called me and tried to intimidate me.  I told him to get fucked right and proper because my business wasn't conducted in his county.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#50]

WHAT FAILED:
PERMITLESS GUN CARRY

The bill would have allowed people to carry a handgun without getting a concealed carry permit. The bill cleared the Senate but stalled in the House amid heavy opposition from law enforcement officers across the state.
View Quote

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2017/05/heres_what_passed_and_failed_d.html
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top