Quoted:

Got a number? (percentage)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has anyone, anywhere, ever kept statistics on what percentage of warrant applications is rejected?

My guess would be "damned few" in CT.

And your guess would be "Damn wrong".  But everyone keep going. This thread is hysterical.

Got a number? (percentage)

How bout it?  Where is that damn number.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#2]
No one is tracking turned down warrants, but since he likely reads them before they go to a judge, I'd say he can say whatever he wants...he has the basis of knowledge.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No one is tracking turned down warrants, but since he likely reads them before they go to a judge, I'd say he can say whatever he wants...he has the basis of knowledge.
View Quote

Who reads them?  What basis of knowledge?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are asking conndcj for numbers, right? Google up CT DCJ Investigator job description.
Gotta feeling he has some insight here.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You are asking conndcj for numbers, right? Google up CT DCJ Investigator job description.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are assuming he works for the courts?  He should say that then if he is espousing facts.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Not exactly a popular occupation in here....lol

Thread is stupid. Guy is a dunce...law is unjust, but guy is a dunce.
Find the guy who accidentally load an extra round in the mag or something like that to be the "hero case".
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So you are assuming he works for the courts?  He should say that then if he is espousing facts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy, killer. You've been absent for about 9 years of conndcj's contributions. I would not assume he doesn't.

It would be really nice if he would add some professional insight to the conversation, though. Instead of just letting us continue on believing any hilarious falsities.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:25:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Find the guy who accidentally load an extra round in the mag or something like that to be the "hero case".
View Quote

I agree...not the guys brightest moment.

Right...an extra round will be an interesting case when it happens...and it probably will.

I think that situation is more likely to happen with a handgun.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Guy is no doubt a dunce, but I don't think we can pick and choose where to stand on SB1160. I think we need to stand on it outright, at every mention of it. Will it hold more weight when it is, say, someone who defended himself outside the home with a loaded 17 round magazine; no doubt, and we will cross that bridge and run with that momentum when it comes. But it still has bearing here, too.

Does his reckless use of a firearm constitute seizure of what he owns and possibly barr him from future ownership - probably almost un-arguably from what I can gather right now (albeit not much). But we need to stand to have those specific charges dropped, its unconstitutional, period. No matter how stupid he is, or what else he is guilty of, he has additional unconstitutional charges levied against him right now. Charges that should not be, regardless..
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Easy, killer. You've been absent for about 9 years of conndcj's contributions. I would not assume he doesn't.

It would be really nice if he would add some professional insight to the conversation, though. Instead of just letting us continue on believing any hilarious falsities.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't assume anything but when you make a statement such as his I think most of us here would like to know on what he based it on.  

The number of yrs. someone has been a member on this site does not always equate to experience or factual knowledge....at least from what I have seen since becoming a member.  I have read a lot of garbage from people with thousands of posts and many yrs. of membership.  Not directed at either yourself or conndcj of course.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see that happening

Maybe if we join the Hartford club, he will regale us with stories in the confidence of a private and dignified atmosphere.

Nutter is my sponsor for the Hartford club
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Some reliable inside info from a fly on the wall:

What I've learned is that there were two (2) officers working construction almost directly in front of the gunowners house. Squirrels had been digging up his yard and eating his garden on the side of his house near the front yard, which frustrated him and made him angry. So he decided to shoot a squirrel with his .22 rifle (non-AW), shooting out through an open window from a position inside the home towards the street and where officers were standing for their construction job. The shot was close enough that it made the officers jump and they looked up to see the rifle pointed in their direction, believing he might have even been shooting at them. They detained and interviewed him, during which he admitted to shooting the squirrel. During the interview, he readily told officers that he owned several other firearms and had been shooting squirrels from inside the home on a regular basis, as evidenced by numerous bullet holes in the fence between his home
and the neighbor's. After demonstrating his poor judgement and his admission to owning other weapons, the officers then obtained a Risk Warrant, signed by a judge, on the basis of the unlawful discharge and reckless use of the firearm. During the execution of the Risk Warrant, the officers seized aprox 20 firearms, to include 3 unregistered handgun LCMs and an unregistered AW (a 5.56 S&W M&P-15).

Throughout the entire investigation he remained overly cooperative, much to his detriment. He also admitted to officers that he had legally purchased the S&W M&P-15 (AW) legally out of state before the new laws went into effect in April 2013, but had not registered the newly declared AW or any of his 3 handgun LCMs
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Tough to get jury nullification or some other act of defiance/public support when the initial offense is unrelated to cause...and is stupid.

Winners:
arrests for pre-bans
1 round over issues...oops types
perhaps a legit self defense case

Losers:
crime + violation of pet statute
ignorance
I will not comply

Best bet...minimize exposure across the board. Lay low, unless you like spending your life savings on a lawyer and losing your job, voting rights, prob family.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#14]
The moral of the story is simple, the cop at your door isn't your friend. That isn't to say he's a bad guy or will take pleasure in your troubles, neither is likely the case. However, you're interests and his are likely in in direct opposition to each other.  

I'd bet the motor vehicle exception or exigent circumstances exception (to the search warrant requirement) aren't the big issues here; The guy simply said too much.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What I've learned is that there were two (2) officers working construction almost directly in front of the gunowners house. Squirrels had been digging up his yard and eating his garden on the side of his house near the front yard, which frustrated him and made him angry. So he decided to shoot a squirrel with his .22 rifle (non-AW), shooting out through an open window from a position inside the home towards the street and where officers were standing for their construction job. The shot was close enough that it made the officers jump and they looked up to see the rifle pointed in their direction, believing he might have even been shooting at them. They detained and interviewed him, during which he admitted to shooting the squirrel. During the interview, he readily told officers that he owned several other firearms and had been shooting squirrels from inside the home on a regular basis, as evidenced by numerous bullet holes in the fence between his home
and the neighbor's. After demonstrating his poor judgement and his admission to owning other weapons, the officers then obtained a Risk Warrant, signed by a judge, on the basis of the unlawful discharge and reckless use of the firearm. During the execution of the Risk Warrant, the officers seized aprox 20 firearms, to include 3 unregistered handgun LCMs and an unregistered AW (a 5.56 S&W M&P-15).

Throughout the entire investigation he remained overly cooperative, much to his detriment. He also admitted to officers that he had legally purchased the S&W M&P-15 (AW) legally out of state before the new laws went into effect in April 2013, but had not registered the newly declared AW or any of his 3 handgun LCMs
View Quote

Holy fuck!

out of 5

He deserves a couple books thrown at him. hahaha Thats like, 40 times worse than I could have even imagined.

Im not saying people should be backing the guy or his case financially or anything - but a protest of the registration charges seems in order. This can even be spun to capture the attention of liberals. If the general "gun rights" community stood up and said, "We agree this guy deserves the serious shit he has coming to him, but the registration serves no purpose and is an un-constitutional charge." Ya know, like, we support common sense gun stuff, like safety, duh. And its obviously safer for certain people to not own guns at all. But come on!

ETA: Something should be said about the LEO, too. They must have been some super professional guys, I would have expected almost anybody go to all LA in a situation like that. Perp is lucky to be alive. Shooting in the direction of cops?!?!? WOW.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup
That's what happened. I talked to a couple friends around here. (I'm from Milford)
Crazy dumb if you ask me.  Milford cops are pretty cool, esp if you live here and not a dick. But c'mon man........

On a side note,
I have some friends mentioning and calling about what happened regarding this all day.
I tell them, yesterday news man, didn't you see arfcom. hahaha
CTHTF the absolute best for providing quickest information about local events related to issues that concern us.
Faster than any other source that I seen lately.
Cheers guys, glad to somewhat know you and be here
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you read the statute you quote it still states that judge must get involved and a warrant issued in order to enter his house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Obviously a lot we don't know about what happened. If the street address is correct where it took place (258 Housatonic Dr) then I'd question why the guy was shooting a .22 outdoors in the first place in that neighborhood with houses fairly close by (perhaps under the 500 foot hunting rule). He probably could have gotten away with using an air gun to dispatch the tree rats (squirrels) and no one would have given it a second thought.

Like others have said it sounds like he talked himself into more charges. I assume if the guy didn't let the police into his house voluntarily (stupid on his part if he did) then the police used Sec. 29-38c. Seizure of firearms and ammunition from person posing risk of imminent personal injury to self or others to confiscate the rest of his firearms/ammo.

This appears on the surface to be another example of play stupid games, win stupid prizes. It also shows once again that the police don't need to go door to door to confiscate so called AW's/LCM's, they simply wait for some other reason to enter the person's life and then confiscate. This also shows that those who claim police in CT won't enforce the unconstitutional laws are wrong.

If you read the statute you quote it still states that judge must get involved and a warrant issued in order to enter his house.

Not sure what your point it. I have read the statute and no where in my post did I state or imply that they didn't go to a judge. I simply stated "then the police used Sec. 29-38c. Seizure of firearms and ammunition from person posing risk of imminent personal injury to self or others to confiscate the rest of his firearms/ammo." If you notice I used the exact name of the statute after stating "the police used". <shrugs>
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:49:53 PM EDT
[#18]
All it takes is two cops, and your life is changed forever.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

And your guess would be "Damn wrong".  But everyone keep going. This thread is hysterical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

snip

Has anyone, anywhere, ever kept statistics on what percentage of warrant applications is rejected?

Don't know if there are newer gun seizure stats, but there is an gun seizure OLR doc from 2009 that has some stats from back then. Supposedly the information in that report "covers the period October 1, 1999 through May 31, 2009." Here is a portion of that document:

NUMBER OF WARRANTS ISSUED
The courts issued 274 of the 277 warrants police requested. They denied one West Hartford warrant and one Wolcott warrant. The target of a third warrant voluntarily surrendered his guns before the warrant was signed.

The West Hartford case involved an individual from whom the police had seized guns under a previous gun seizure warrant. The court denied the second warrant on the grounds that the previous search had yielded all the guns to which the individual had access.

Wolcott's case involved an individual who (1) had been previously hospitalized and placed on medication for suicidal tendencies, (2) told a friend he was thinking of killing himself, (3) had a gun permit, and (4) lied about getting professional psychiatric help for his problems. The court denied the warrant for lack of probable cause.

SEARCH OUTCOME
Police found and seized guns in 263 (96%) of the 274 cases in which they got warrants. In all, they seized more than 2,000 guns. The State Police seized the most, 574, including 231 in one case (see Table 5).
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Don't know if there are newer gun seizure stats, but there is an gun seizure OLR doc from 2009 that has some stats from back then. Supposedly the information in that report "covers the period October 1, 1999 through May 31, 2009." Here is a portion of that document:

The courts issued 274 of the 277 warrants police requested. They denied one West Hartford warrant and one Wolcott warrant. The target of a third warrant voluntarily surrendered his guns before the warrant was signed.

The West Hartford case involved an individual from whom the police had seized guns under a previous gun seizure warrant. The court denied the second warrant on the grounds that the previous search had yielded all the guns to which the individual had access.

Wolcott's case involved an individual who (1) had been previously hospitalized and placed on medication for suicidal tendencies, (2) told a friend he was thinking of killing himself, (3) had a gun permit, and (4) lied about getting professional psychiatric help for his problems. The court denied the warrant for lack of probable cause.

SEARCH OUTCOME
Police found and seized guns in 263 (96%) of the 274 cases in which they got warrants. In all, they seized more than 2,000 guns. The State Police seized the most, 574, including 231 in one case (see Table 5).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SEARCH OUTCOME

Thank you very much, Sir.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://www.eui.eu/Images-2011/Research/EUIPublications/Cadmus13000Records.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SEARCH OUTCOME

Only 277 warrants in 10 years? (NVM, thats the number for Gun Seizure Warrants, only. Im an idiot.)

If thats correct, then damn, they don't really turn them down much.

And 231 guns seized in one case!?! Holy statistics curve!

ETA: Heheh, I tried to google the case to find out what happened and one of the first results was this ---> An AR15.com thread started by yours truly, sbhaven, about the case.

ETAA: Nevermind, its not about the case specifically. But it turns out this exact conversation took place quite some time ago. hahaha
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I wonder if he was a patriot or a liberal? Or just stupid!
I wonder if he had a big old glass of freedom neat before he shot that innocent squirrel?
I wonder if he liked Viking movies or John Wayne movies- like all true Americans !
I wonder if he voted for Obama or the other guy?
I wonder if he went camping and awoke with a sore and bloody ass if he would tell Anyone?
Hmmmm....
Food for thought
Discuss

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Case 4—Robert B. (m) (Monroe)

Sister-in-law expressed fear of subject after her actions led to his arrest of subject; subject had access to large collection of guns; went to sister-in-law's residence while armed to claim property (previously threatened to kill former employer)

231 seized (August 30, 2000)

Court ordered (1) one assault weapon destroyed and the balance returned to subject and (2) other guns transferred to gun dealer; guns transferred to dealer on December 6, 2000; assault weapons returned to subject on March 22, 2001—case closed

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Wonder if he moved here from out of state and didn't know it was illegal to shoot squirrels in a densely populated area.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Where I live it is perfectly legal to pop caps on your own property . Not sure if there is a hunting season for squirrels though. I guess when you cap em suppressed , no one is the wiser!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Where I live it is perfectly legal to pop caps on your own property . Not sure if there is a hunting season for squirrels though. I guess when you cap em suppressed , no one is the wiser!
View Quote

There is, Modrapos mentioned it earlier in the thread.

500ft from occupied buildings, too. Acreage minimum I believe, too, for hunting.

And it sounds like the squirrel was very close to a pair of cops, and a construction crew.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

500ft from occupied buildings, too. Acreage minimum I believe, too, for hunting.

And it sounds like the squirrel was very close to a pair of cops, and a construction crew.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Laws are for pussies
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://www.eui.eu/Images-2011/Research/EUIPublications/Cadmus13000Records.jpg
View Quote

That's why you only call them as last resort
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks VLODPG, I knew there was a warrant that didn't take a day or two to get signed. If he has been doing this on a regular basis with houses in close proximity, then he is an idiot.  So the moral of this story should be don't act like an idiot and cops won't be knocking on your door. This is what the anti's & Libs love to see, another example of us being our own worse enemy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#31]
wow!  multiple bullet holes in the fence?  

i do that shit all the time.....  however i don't have neighbors 50ft away from me or ohhh cops standing in front of me
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Nobody likes a noisy neighbor.  Do it right next time...

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#33]
It's just some of that normal Devon shit going on....
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:35:42 AM EDT
[#34]
That guy is a dumb ass. I assumed the neighbors or an ex turned him in.
You don't shoot a rifle towards the street. More over, when people or police are standing nearby!

He will get a year in jail, a fine and his life is mostly over.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:24:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Without getting too far into the weeds...

The Risk warrants are "generally" applied for after the fact. Meaning, a guy says he's going to kill himself or something along those lines and his guns are scooped up right then and there. The Risk Warrant is a formality, the seizure has already occurred...the application goes to the judge, who can see that an "incident" has already occurred. So the fact that something happened tends to demonstrate cause enough to sign it. The guy is either committed or arrested depending on the scenario. This type of incident represents the bulk of the warrants.

The type where a neighbor or relative tells some bizarre story about danger to self/others and the warrant precedes any incident/seizure is rare in my experience. Mostly because it's ok to be nuts and people lie. Nuts + dangerous = NOGO  

A guy shooting a squirrel, in and of itself, is unlikely to have all firearms seized...in general. If a cop was over zealous and they were not associated with the incident, they will be returned at the hearing. If the guy "just" shot a squirrel, he'll get the uninvolved portion of his collection back.

There's a hearing in 2 weeks where any evidence will be presented and you can state your case. I've seen the release denied, kicked down the road one year, and property returned. It is actually a pretty fair process from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Are there any records on what percentage of those "after the fact, to add legitimacy to a confiscation" warrants are signed by the same judge?

Is there one "pet judge" who signs them all, or do they each take a turn?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A guy shooting a squirrel, in and of itself, is unlikely to have all firearms seized...in general. If a cop was over zealous and they were not associated with the incident, they will be returned at the hearing. If the guy "just" shot a squirrel, he'll get the uninvolved portion of his collection back.
View Quote

I assume that if this was to happen in this case the courts would not return his M&P 15 nor the 3 handgun magazines they state calls illegal because none of them were registered/declared. I would not be surprised to see the state dig in its heals and nail the guy (even if its for a misdemeanor) based on the unregistered undeclared items just to make a point. Malloy and the rest of the gun grabbers need to have a few prosecutions to point to come November to claim the law is working.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:21:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Are there any records on what percentage of those "after the fact, to add legitimacy to a confiscation" warrants are signed by the same judge?

Is there one "pet judge" who signs them all, or do they each take a turn?
View Quote

During court hours, you go to the GA and meet with any available. After hours/weekends, there's a rotation list.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#39]
I was going to reply immediately after my last post but ewetstone made me decide to go out for some cocktails after work, have a nice dinner and finally watch the second Hobbit movie. (Smaug was freaking awesome BTW).

Now that I have a minute and that most have calmed down from typical CTHTF the sky is falling hysteria, I will share the following with the class.  By way of background, and I thought everyone here knew this by now because it's not a secret, I am a state's attorney.  I supervise a bureau with statewide jurisdiction based in Rocky Hill.  I have been doing this for 15 years (oh, Him and ewetstone.  If your prosecutorial experience is longer/different than mine, please chime in at any time.  Thanks.)

While the PERCENTAGE of AWs and SWs rejected are low, due to the volume of both, the NUMBER of warrants rejected is reasonably high. There are a number of reasons why warrants are rejected.  Rejected itself can mean different things.  And where warrants are rejected also plays a major part.  Allow me to explain:

Given the displays of members here, this may fall on deaf ears but as professionals, we strive for perfection every, single time.  Are we perfect?  Of course not but that is always the goal.  My guys showing up at your door unannounced to serve a search warrant or to walk you out of your job in cuffs is a VERY big deal.  Arrests are life altering.  Even if you are found not guilty down the road, the stigma of an arrest is forever.  You think your neighbors would ever look at you the same way when we take 10 boxes of God knows what out of your house?  They won't.  Warrants are SERIOUS business and they are never taken lightly no matter how much you want to believe otherwise.  This isn't TV.  This is real life.

Warrants of both types begin in my case with the Police Inspectors assigned to my bureau.  Not one of my guys have less than 35 years experience.  They send me drafts of both types and I review them and send them back until they are as perfect as they can be.  While we need only establish probable cause, I personally want more than that in my warrants.  State's attorneys differ on this for various reasons.  My technique is to place my entire case in the warrant body.  I do not play games by giving just enough to establish PC.  I lay it all out because I know that when I come for you, you're done.  I've done my homework.  And that's where a first rejection can take place.

Believe it or not, not everyone we investigate gets arrested.  Some AWs are rejected because of insufficient evidence.  If the information in the four corners (body) of the warrant does not rise to the level I demand, I reject it right there.  Maybe forever if no other information is obtained.  I sign arrest warrants, I review search warrants.  That's how it works in CT.  Also, we do not have an investigative subpoena in CT.  All evidence we obtain MUST be by SW (small grand jury exception).  Makes it harder for us but is an added layer of safety for the public.

SWs can be rejected for a variety of reasons.  The nexus between the crime and the location to be searched is insufficient, the information about the location is stale or the items sought are too vague in their description.  I have rejected SWs at my desk but some have been rejected by judges after I thought it was OK.  Again, this tiered level of review catches flaws and goes a long way toward protecting the public.

Also, keep in mind that judges and prosecutors have absolute immunity when it comes to being sued over mistakes yet we still do everything we can to get it right.  

So, in sum, the percentage of warrants rejected is probably no more than 3%.  The number of warrants rejected would however still be in the hundreds if not low thousands due to the total number every year in CT.  As professionals we should still strive for zero as again, these are irreversibly life altering events for the citizenry.

I want to make it very clear that I am no hero nor am I alone in trying to do everything correctly.  I've made my share of mistakes. It's about being a professional and while every group has their problem children, I can tell you with all honesty that the CT Division of Criminal Justice and nearly every single PD I have ever dealt with in this state operate with justice in mind first and foremost because when we make a mistake, it is usually not one we can get a mulligan for.

In a place where people get to use "fucking pigs" and "JBTs" and where LE is insulted nearly every day (way to go mods/admin), I hope this explanation is at least helpful to some of you.  Especially Mr. Him and Mr. ewetstone.  I couldn't sleep if they were still upset.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I was going to reply immediately after my last post but ewetstone made me decide to go out for some cocktails after work, have a nice dinner and finally watch the second Hobbit movie. (Smaug was freaking awesome BTW).

Now that I have a minute and that most have calmed down from typical CTHTF the sky is falling hysteria, I will share the following with the class.  By way of background, and I thought everyone here knew this by now because it's not a secret, I am a state's attorney.  I supervise a bureau with statewide jurisdiction based in Rocky Hill.  I have been doing this for 15 years (oh, Him and ewetstone.  If your prosecutorial experience is longer/different than mine, please chime in at any time.  Thanks.)

While the PERCENTAGE of AWs and SWs rejected are low, due to the volume of both, the NUMBER of warrants rejected is reasonably high. There are a number of reasons why warrants are rejected.  Rejected itself can mean different things.  And where warrants are rejected also plays a major part.  Allow me to explain:

Given the displays of members here, this may fall on deaf ears but as professionals, we strive for perfection every, single time.  Are we perfect?  Of course not but that is always the goal.  My guys showing up at your door unannounced to serve a search warrant or to walk you out of your job in cuffs is a VERY big deal.  Arrests are life altering.  Even if you are found not guilty down the road, the stigma of an arrest is forever.  You think your neighbors would ever look at you the same way when we take 10 boxes of God knows what out of your house?  They won't.  Warrants are SERIOUS business and they are never taken lightly no matter how much you want to believe otherwise.  This isn't TV.  This is real life.

Warrants of both types begin in my case with the Police Inspectors assigned to my bureau.  Not one of my guys have less than 35 years experience.  They send me drafts of both types and I review them and send them back until they are as perfect as they can be.  While we need only establish probable cause, I personally want more than that in my warrants.  State's attorneys differ on this for various reasons.  My technique is to place my entire case in the warrant body.  I do not play games by giving just enough to establish PC.  I lay it all out because I know that when I come for you, you're done.  I've done my homework.  And that's where a first rejection can take place.

Believe it or not, not everyone we investigate gets arrested.  Some AWs are rejected because of insufficient evidence.  If the information in the four corners (body) of the warrant does not rise to the level I demand, I reject it right there.  Maybe forever if no other information is obtained.  I sign arrest warrants, I review search warrants.  That's how it works in CT.  Also, we do not have an investigative subpoena in CT.  All evidence we obtain MUST be by SW (small grand jury exception).  Makes it harder for us but is an added layer of safety for the public.

SWs can be rejected for a variety of reasons.  The nexus between the crime and the location to be searched is insufficient, the information about the location is stale or the items sought are too vague in their description.  I have rejected SWs at my desk but some have been rejected by judges after I thought it was OK.  Again, this tiered level of review catches flaws and goes a long way toward protecting the public.

Also, keep in mind that judges and prosecutors have absolute immunity when it comes to being sued over mistakes yet we still do everything we can to get it right.  

So, in sum, the percentage of warrants rejected is probably no more than 3%.  The number of warrants rejected would however still be in the hundreds if not low thousands due to the total number every year in CT.  As professionals we should still strive for zero as again, these are irreversibly life altering events for the citizenry.

I want to make it very clear that I am no hero nor am I alone in trying to do everything correctly.  I've made my share of mistakes. It's about being a professional and while every group has their problem children, I can tell you with all honesty that the CT Division of Criminal Justice and nearly every single PD I have ever dealt with in this state operate with justice in mind first and foremost because when we make a mistake, it is usually not one we can get a mulligan for.

In a place where people get to use "fucking pigs" and "JBTs" and where LE is insulted nearly every day (way to go mods/admin), I hope this explanation is at least helpful to some of you.  Especially Mr. Him and Mr. ewetstone. I couldn't sleep if they were still upset.
View Quote

My pleasure.

I was never upset but you sure got heated because "Him" asked you for some numbers.  You reply to Him's post with  "And your guess would be "Damn wrong". But everyone keep going. This thread is hysterical." and then get bent out of shape because he asked for a number?.

All I said to JKM was that he assumed that you worked for the courts.  Very defensive Conndjc....hope you got to sleep.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for lending us some of your time and knowledge, conndcj. I hope it doesn't always pass by invisibly, but there are many of us who appreciate the hard work the good and honest put in for our communities. While not always prevalent, especially here, it is there.

It means less than nothing coming from a mere citizen such as myself, but, keep up the good work!

Hobbit movies? Really? heheh

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#43]
This is interesting.  So conndcj stands for CT district court judge?  Or, am I reading too much between the lines?

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This is interesting.  So conndcj stands for CT district court judge?  Or, am I reading too much between the lines?

View Quote

Swing n a miss! Strike one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

He is a State's Attorney.  

Conn Division of Criminal Justice
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steerike Two!!

Its a department, not a division. HOME RUN!!!! Yankees win with a walk off!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#48]
If you were to review my original question, it was inquiring as to what percentage of confiscation warrants is rejected, not the thousands of other warrants..

I can see why it is such a small percentage, since it has been stated by another poster, that they are after-the-fact warrants.

It is my sincere hope that I never need your professional services in protecting me from law enforcement, or the members of your staff.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steerike Two!!

Its a department, not a division. HOME RUN!!!! Yankees win with a walk off!

Dude, you just hit the batter

http://www.ct.gov/csao/site/default.asp

http://www.ct.gov/csao/lib/csao/v4/csao_v4_header_02.gif.

ETA: fixed quote

Noooooooooooooooooooo!

Leaping catch at the fence!  I was robbed!

ETA: Damn Texas, makin me look dumb. I was just reading about the Alamo pisser and there was a reference to the TX DCJ, where D is for department.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh shit...  Then I really do hope you get some sleep and be happy to buy you a beer....just in case I am ever on the other side of the isle from you in court.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top