Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, I got tired of waiting for my back ordered stuff and went ahead and got a steel machining jig (most are aluminum) and an 80% lower. 80% was only $63 shipped off Amazon... I'm hoping to get going on it in the next few days to get an idea of how much time it takes to knock on of these out.

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Do directions come with the jig?  How far do you know to drill in?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Occurred to me last night, the 19th is the 239th anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and Concord.
Seems kind of appropriate.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, I got tired of waiting for my back ordered stuff and went ahead and got a steel machining jig (most are aluminum) and an 80% lower. 80% was only $63 shipped off Amazon... I'm hoping to get going on it in the next few days to get an idea of how much time it takes to knock on of these out.
View Quote

mind if I ask what 80% from amazon? link? for that price even I could afford to buy one.... lol

was it the ghost gun armory one?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#5]
One left... get it while you can :D

http://www.amazon.com/Lower-Ghost-Gun-Armory-Ships/dp/B00IBQYDGC/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1396044165&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=ghost+gun+80

PSD has some on there for a little more

http://www.amazon.com/Palmetto-State-Defense-Lower-Paperweight/dp/B003M0DOSK/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1QFC6YPQQCNCRQTGX0PW
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do directions come with the jig?  How far do you know to drill in?
View Quote

The jig has the depths and endmill size milled into it. I also have a print with the mil spec dims on it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Got mine ready to go.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
One left... get it while you can :D

http://www.amazon.com/Lower-Ghost-Gun-Armory-Ships/dp/B00IBQYDGC/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1396044165&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=ghost+gun+80

PSD has some on there for a little more

http://www.amazon.com/Palmetto-State-Defense-Lower-Paperweight/dp/B003M0DOSK/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1QFC6YPQQCNCRQTGX0PW
View Quote

Took the last one.... I hope its actually decent for that price.... I'm going to be so clueless what to do with it once its finished lol. For whoever else will be going to the party, I'll be the idiot asking a bunch of questions looking confused and annoying people unintentionally.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Crap.
Was informed that the family Easter get together is on the 19th.
Pissola.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 6:40:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Crap.
Was informed that the family Easter get together is on the 19th.
Pissola.
View Quote

Just like family, always getting in the way.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 7:30:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Are we still on for the 19th?  I still need to find a jig set un less some one wants to rent me theirs for a small fee.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Good question.... i grabbed a 80% but no jig....
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone can use my jig if they want to...

edit: I'm not going to set a price for using my machine/jig, but i'm not going to turn down "donations"

If this is a success, I might keep doing this on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone can use my jig if they want to...

edit: I'm not going to set a price for using my machine/jig, but i'm not going to turn down "donations"

If this is a success, I might keep doing this on a regular basis.
View Quote

Ordered the same as you, got the msg it shipped today and will be here thursday, hurray.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I would be interested in this to. just as long as work starts to pick back up. waiting on people to catch up with the houses.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm pretty excited to get working on mine, but I didn't find the time last weekend. I did buy an M16A1 parts kit and a Green Mountain barrel to complete my build once I get it machined out. Plan is to try and match the lower to whatever the condition of the the parts in the parts kit is and make it look like it just came out of the jungle.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Found some time last night while the cnc was cutting out the next batch of targets. Took me about two hours from start to what you see as a semi assembled lower to try out the trigger, safety, and upper fitment. It's not perfect, I did have a couple minor mess ups. but it is 100% functional. I didn't want to fully assemble the lower because I still have to coat it.

M16A1 parts kit fitment. (waiting on a era correct barrel from Green Mountain)
(I did permanently modify the lower parts to comply with NFA after researching it a bit about using parts from these kits in semi auto builds)

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks Good.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks good. What mishaps did you run in too?
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:57:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Are you going with a 1:12 twist rate?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:50:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looks good. What mishaps did you run in too?
View Quote

I made the pocket a little too long on the magazine side. I forgot the end-mill was a larger diameter than the shank and brought the shank all the way forward to the milling jig. It still functions fine, and you can't tell from the outside though. The jig I got was also meant for 80% lowers with the pocket for the rear take-down pins pre-milled, so I had to manually do that with no jig, but it still turned out fine, just meant that I had to pay more attention to what I was doing.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Best advice I can offer is go slow, check and recheck, and it's helpful to have a stripped lower that was "factory" milled to reference.

Get a micrometer and compare your work to the "factory" work as you go.  It's slower but way better than making a paperweight by accident.

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#23]
That's how I milled out the rear take-down pin pocket. Measured another lower I had laying around with some calipers and copied it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That's how I milled out the rear take-down pin pocket. Measured another lower I had laying around with some calipers and copied it.
View Quote

Yep.  It's cool once you have the 80% milled out and FCG installed, makes for a good feeling.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:08:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Are you going with a 1:12 twist rate?
View Quote

Yes, 20in chrome lined barrel with 1:12 twist
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I would like to know the time and address also.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Let do this...

Start at 9am go till 5pm - If people are still around at 5 there is the possibility to head north of Pella to my "testing area" for pistol and 100yrd rifle.

I do have an AR Armorer's wrench and various tools people can use (including barrel threading dies and crowing tools for standard barrel .223 and 7.62)... but if you break it you buy it...
Also keep in mind I'm not a gunsmith, I just like to keep myself busy with projects and learn new skills...

I don't care if people show up to hang out, but you might want to bring a lawn chair and something to throw on the grill for lunch. My "shop" is a two car garage, so there's not a whole lot of extra room, but there is a patio right outside.

edit: pm me for address if interested.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Keeping my fingers crossed - I'm expecting an 80% DPMS style 308 paper weight.  I'm hoping it will arrive before 4-19.  I have an AR15 jig.  The fire control pocket is supposed to be the same, but I'll need to find a way to clamp it on.

I also have an AR15 80% paper weight in hand.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:12:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Fingers crossed for my DPMS style .308 as well... ordered it back in December and it's still on back-order a long with my jig. So we might have to do this again for the 308 paperweights.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:46:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Here's some motivation, parts kit assembled. I used Brownell's Alumahyde Park Grey and it matched the uppers original color pretty well. Green Mountain barrel checked out great. Test fire over lunch today. Kit was missing the spring for the bolt hold open, but I should be able to function test without it.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:35:12 AM EDT
[#32]
I would say you acheived the desired look of just being humped out of a jungle. Nice job

I can't wait to turn a paper weight into something useful. Sadly I don't have any extra part kits laying around so I may just end up stripping an existing lower just so I can do some basic function tests.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#33]
howdy y'all, i don't know if i can post this here but I'm buying my lower from this company iconicindustriesinc.com.  They have it in stock and it should be here tomorrow.  I've searched around and found that many sites are on back order.  Would love to come to IA and join the party.  Where have others bought 80%'s?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Here's some motivation, parts kit assembled. I used Brownell's Alumahyde Park Grey and it matched the uppers original color pretty well. Green Mountain barrel checked out great. Test fire over lunch today. Kit was missing the spring for the bolt hold open, but I should be able to function test without it.

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u619/kert0307/Accurate%20Products/IMAG0800_zps4954c921.jpg
View Quote

I want
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Here's a parts kit calling your name then.... $356 with a 100rd Beta Mag :D

Chrome lined period correct barrel was 170ish from green mountain.

http://www.lg-outdoors.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BH_IO+AR150011
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Here's a parts kit calling your name then.... $356 with a 100rd Beta Mag :D

Chrome lined period correct barrel was 170ish from green mountain.

http://www.lg-outdoors.com/images/LG_IOAR150011.jpg

http://www.lg-outdoors.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BH_IO+AR150011
View Quote

If I could get it creeper without the crappy beta mag
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:38:30 AM EDT
[#38]
The beta mag seems like an odd additional to a retro kit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:14:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Yes, it is an odd addition. But if you look around most other places have the same kits in the $400-450 range without the beta mag (CTD does have it with the beta mag for a little cheaper too). If you don't like it you could probably easily unload the beta mag for $75-100 at a gun show to get some money back.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yes, it is an odd addition. But if you look around most other places have the same kits in the $400-450 range without the beta mag (CTD does have it with the beta mag for a little cheaper too). If you don't like it you could probably easily unload the beta mag for $75-100 at a gun show to get some money back.
View Quote

Ya if someone wants a beta let me know I love that kit!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Spent some time with others at the Accurate residence today.  My 80% is now 100%.  You can rip these things out without much trouble with the right equipment.

Thanks for the use of your equpment, Accurate!  Hope we can do it again sometime.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#42]
How'd the day go?
Anyone grab some photos?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks  Accurate ....good time had by all.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I forgot all about this.
View Quote

There's a Surprise
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:04:32 AM EDT
[#46]
No pictures that I know of.  Only one sketchy time when the collet wrench got left on  the mill when it got started. Otherwise everything went pretty smooth. I think the way we did it is one of the few legal ways left to do this because it was a manual mill, I didn't sell/supply the blanks and didn't charge for the machine use...

Definetly not a way to make any money, but it was a good time to hang out with like minded individuals from the area and give a little to the IHTF community.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I forgot all about this.
View Quote

A  couple guys asked where you were.  

Unfortunately no pictures were taken, we were too busy either machining the 80s or talking, or in one case dodging a flying wrench/bar.

Thanks again to accurate for allowing use to each use his equipment. I don't think anyone is planning to assemble theirs anytime soon though, so I don't think pictures will be incoming at all. I've never put on together so I'll be looking for a lpk in the next month if I can afford one, if anyone has any suggestions I'd be interested to see opinions.

In reply to accurate since he slid in before i finished typing. I don't know about him, but I found it interesting to see the different styles of lower that people brought. All a little different style.

Edit: Here are 2 pics of my 80% after I was done with it.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
No pictures that I know of.  Only one sketchy time when the collet wrench got left on  the mill when it got started. Otherwise everything went pretty smooth. I think the way we did it is one of the few legal ways left to do this because it was a manual mill, I didn't sell/supply the blanks and didn't charge for the machine use...

Definetly not a way to make any money, but it was a good time to hang out with like minded individuals from the area and give a little to the IHTF community.
View Quote

A wrench to head once makes you look before starting the machine. Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

A wrench to head once makes you look before starting the machine. Ask me how I know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you know?

Well I'm glad to see everyone had fun. I'd of liked to attend, but the 4 month heads up wasn't enough notice for me to buy a couple 80% lowers... procrastination is a real bitch sometimes.

Maybe I'll try and make the next one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Edit: Here are 2 pics of my 80% after I was done with it.
http://i.imgur.com/LYANzhP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Uv4ryvg.jpg
View Quote

Haven't you learned you never post close up pics of your firearm on the internet. Some liberal group might add your serial number to their database.

Hehehehe
Page / 3
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top