Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 23
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 4:31:43 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can attend Friday the 31st at 8AM you will be welcomed. I am the only one so far, that I know of, who is going to speak and support this.  Let me know who to look for! Be early, be ready.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#2]
See you there Friday morning Tom.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Call me in the morning 253-632-5643
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Hearing went well.  No opposition. 3 speakers, 5 people signed in supporting the bill.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:53:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Awesome, wish I could have gone. Thanks again guys for all the good work.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#6]
SB 5956 has been given a "Do Pass" recommendation by the Law & Justice Committee and sent to the Rules Committee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/4/2014 2:46:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SB 5956 has been given a "Do Pass" recommendation by the Law & Justice Committee and sent to the Rules Committee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View Quote

Excellent news. Hopefully it keeps moving.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who is the point of contact on the Rules Committee that letters/emails should be sent to?  How should efforts be directed?
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Rules Committee

guide

I'm going to write to all of them.  The Lt Gv is the chairman, he needs a nice polite letter also.  Sheldon is the vice chair, not sure how much influence he has, but he is an SBR bill supporter.

Randy
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Talked with Brian Blake this morning.  He said Jinkins has the house Bill, 1561, bottled up, and won't let it out of committee.  Brian said he would get me info on who to pressure so that Jinkins would release the bill.  On a side note, she is also apparently not letting 594 or 591 out either, at least per Brian a few days ago.

Nice to see that the Senate bill is making headway.  Very similar to how the suppresor legislation went.

Sheldon helped me with a land use issue, and is friends with one of my major clients so that should be an easy in.  Brad Owens is an acquaintance from the same business contact, so I think he'll be amenable.  There are also 11 republicans on the committee, and while not an automatic, that bodes well for us.

Short polite emails folks.  Get it done.

My email:
Short Barreled Rifles MESSAGE: Representative Hansen, I would like to request that you help move HB 1651 forward, out of committee, and onto the floor for a vote. Representative Blake and myself decided to run this legislation a few years back and it does support strict gun registration and tracking for these particular rifles. Thank you again for your time, and please move this bill forward.

Received a number of responses back so far, nobody saynig no.  Similar email was sent to the senate committee.

Sincerely, DAWGFISH
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Majority Report: Do pass
Signed by Senators Padden, Chair; O'Ban, Vice Chair; Darneille, Kline, Ranking Member; Pearson, Pedersen, and Roach.

Nice to see Kline and Roach sign onto the bill for a pass.  Both were iffy.  I thanked Kline in my email to him for his previous support on the suppressor legislation.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Per Brian Blake, the representative who is the primary sponsor of house bill 1561, it is time to punt on the House version.  Jinkins will not let it pass out of committee.

5956 is our bill.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#13]
So if the Senate version passes out of the Senate, do we need to do the whole dog and pony show in the House as well, or does it just go straight to a vote in front of the entire house?
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So if the Senate version passes out of the Senate, do we need to do the whole dog and pony show in the House as well, or does it just go straight to a vote in front of the entire house?
View Quote

I think if SB 5956 passes the Senate, it goes to the house for a first reading. The decision, I believe, at that point is whether it goes to committee or if it bypasses the committees and goes directly to the House floor for a vote. Obviously of the two we would prefer the latter. As I understand it if it has to go to committee in the House as well, then Jinkins would have a chance to block it as well.

Ranb, Dawgfish, or others, correct me if I'm wrong because I'm certainly no pro at this.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think if SB 5956 passes the Senate, it goes to the house for a first reading. The decision, I believe, at that point is whether it goes to committee or if it bypasses the committees and goes directly to the House floor for a vote. Obviously of the two we would prefer the latter. As I understand it if it has to go to committee in the House as well, then Jinkins would have a chance to block it as well.

Ranb, Dawgfish, or others, correct me if I'm wrong because I'm certainly no pro at this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does have to go back to Jinkin's committee.  (edited after reviewing it)  From the State website, see below for how a bill becomes law.  

1.A bill may be introduced in either the Senate or House of Representatives by a member.
2.It is referred to a committee for a hearing. The committee studies the bill and may hold public hearings on it. It can then pass, reject, or take no action on the bill.
3.The committee report on the passed bill is read in open session of the House or Senate, and the bill is then referred to the Rules Committee.
4.The Rules Committee can either place the bill on the second reading calendar for debate before the entire body, or take no action.
5.At the second reading, a bill is subject to debate and amendment before being placed on the third reading calendar for final passage.
6.After passing one house, the bill goes through the same procedure in the other house.
7.If amendments are made in the other house, the first house must approve the changes.
8.When the bill is accepted in both houses, it is signed by the respective leaders and sent to the governor.
9.The governor signs the bill into law or may veto all or part of it. If the governor fails to act on the bill, it may become law without a signature.
10. Lots of us buy a few expensive stamps.

Link Posted: 2/4/2014 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It does have to go back to Jinkin's committee.  (edited after reviewing it)  From the State website, see below for how a bill becomes law.  

1.A bill may be introduced in either the Senate or House of Representatives by a member.
2.It is referred to a committee for a hearing. The committee studies the bill and may hold public hearings on it. It can then pass, reject, or take no action on the bill.
3.The committee report on the passed bill is read in open session of the House or Senate, and the bill is then referred to the Rules Committee.
4.The Rules Committee can either place the bill on the second reading calendar for debate before the entire body, or take no action.
5.At the second reading, a bill is subject to debate and amendment before being placed on the third reading calendar for final passage.
6.After passing one house, the bill goes through the same procedure in the other house.
7.If amendments are made in the other house, the first house must approve the changes.
8.When the bill is accepted in both houses, it is signed by the respective leaders and sent to the governor.
9.The governor signs the bill into law or may veto all or part of it. If the governor fails to act on the bill, it may become law without a signature.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/4/2014 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

11. 41p goes into effect, we're all fuqed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

11. 41p goes into effect, we're all fuqed

FIFY

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 12:15:06 AM EDT
[#18]
What's 41p?
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 12:54:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What's 41p?
View Quote

Potential ATF amendment to the NFA to require CLEO signoff for all purchases, including those through a trust which currently don't require the signoff.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 8:05:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Potential ATF amendment to the NFA to require CLEO signoff for all purchases, including those through a trust which currently don't require the signoff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's 41p?

Yep. Go to the nfa/class 3 forum and learn up on it. It may impact us all. Current word is they got so many comments and lawyers to deal with, they dont anticipate implementing anything (if they do) till early next year instead of target date june 14.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 12:53:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
SB 5956 - 2013-14  

Concerning short-barreled rifles.

Feb 4  LAW - Majority; do pass.(Majority Report)

Majority Report: Do pass
Signed by Senators Padden, Chair; O'Ban, Vice Chair; Darneille, Kline, Ranking Member; Pearson, Pedersen, and Roach.

Passed to Rules Committee for second reading.
View Quote

You are a little behind the curve Phil.  ;)
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:41:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Sent another round of emails to them.. Hoping all the little stuff adds up in our favor..
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Is there a deadline we have to get this bill past the Rules Committee by?
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#25]
As far as I know the Senate bill 5956 bill has until 2/18 to get a vote on the Senate floor then until 2/28 to get a hearing in the House Judiciary and until 3/7 to get a vote on the House floor. 2014 Session Cutoff Calendar

If it makes it to the House, we need to make another trip to Olympia to demonstrate our support for the bill once again. Hopefully Jinkins will live up to her suggestion that she will pass a Senate sbr bill out of her committee

Randy
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 6:16:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Just sent emails to the members of rules committee.  Thanks for all the good work guys!

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Blake says they are working on getting it out of rules and onto the floor.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 12:20:56 AM EDT
[#28]
I've been checking the yellow sheet each day.  That's about all I can do since Senator Sheldon's office is not willing to dish out any good info on the phone about the bill at the moment.  :)

Randy
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 2:18:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Got a call from Sheldon within 5 minutes of my email.  Maybe I'll send another message. I'm in his district.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#30]
What did Sheldon say about 5956?  Is he going to pull it or are there other bills he needs to pull that have higher priority?

I'm also in district 35, I don't get calls back on my e-mails.  Haha.  I did get a call back from Sheldon on the silencer bill in 2011 and the SBR bill in 2012 after I asked for meetings.

Randy
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#31]
The aide I talked with, Sheldon didn't call me, said he was a co-sponsor and it was his intent to move thr bill to floor.  Now if other's don't agree, that can be an issue.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Just about everything I know about the Rules Committee I learned from reading this link.  Rules Committee guide

Currently, there are 22 members on the Senate Rules Committee:  the Lt. Governor;  13 majority members; and 8 minority members.  By rule, Lt. Governor Brad Owen chairs the committee and is a voting member.  During his absence or when he is serving as acting-Governor, Senator Sheldon, President Pro Tempore of the Senate and Vice Chair of Rules, will chair the committee.  Secretary of the Senate, Hunter G. Goodman, and Deputy Secretary, Brad Hendrickson, staff the Rules Committee and are assisted by both Senate Counsels.  The Rules Committee selects the bills for floor action and prepares the floor calendar for the day.  There are two calendars (lists) in Senate Rules, a White Sheet and a Green Sheet, which contain all measures awaiting action in Rules.

At the beginning of each meeting, the Majority Leader will announce how many “pulls”, or requests, each member will get to advance a bill from the Green Sheet to the floor calendar and then from White Sheet to the Green Sheet.  Usually, a bill only moves one step during a Rules meeting.
View Quote

There is much more to read about the Rules Committee other than what I quoted here.  Please read the link.

Since Senator Sheldon is a 5956 co-sponsor and vice-chair of Rules, it should mean that the SBR bill would be able to advance from the white sheet, to the green and then on to the yellow (vote on Senate floor).  But they don't call this politics for nothing.  Every bill has a sponsor and they all want their bills to get a chance; some more than others.  So if there aren't any Senators telling him that he needs to kill the sbr bill to ensure the survival of his other bills in other committees, then it should survive to see a vote on the floor.  Who knows what goes on in there behind closed doors, I'm not privy to it at all.

Randy
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#33]
http://app.leg.wa.gov/far/Senate/Calendar

There is new activity on the Senate floor today with several bills being added to the yellow sheet and passed, the only one without a near unamimous record is the nuclear power bill.  5956 is still not on the yellow sheet.  It has until 2/18.

Randy
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
http://app.leg.wa.gov/far/Senate/Calendar

There is new activity on the Senate floor today with several bills being added to the yellow sheet and passed, the only one without a near unamimous record is the nuclear power bill.  5956 is still not on the yellow sheet.  It has until 2/18.

Randy
View Quote

I take it they won't be working on Monday? So that leaves tomorrow and Tuesday to get it through?
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Monday is a WA holiday with the day off for state employees.  http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=1.16.050

Randy
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#36]
I spoke with Sentor Sheldon's aide this morning and she says "the bill is in the queue to be pulled".  I suppose this means he will be pulling it prior to the Tuesday deadline.  Sheldon is rather busy.  For the 2013-2014 biennium he has sponsored/co-sponsored about 150 bills (not including measures and resolutions), 36 of which are in Rules and awaiting a pull.

I think (hope) the bill will pass the Senate where it will go the House and get a pass recommendation by the Judiciary.  I think it will become law.

Randy
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I think it will become law.

Randy
View Quote

...and I just started a 9mm pistol/Sig Brace build.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey all, just to confirm what Randy was saying, the status of the bill on access WA was updated to "Feb 14 Placed on second reading by Rules Committee."
So that means it will go to the floor for a vote. Hooah! Keep sending those letters, this is the time to push.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 10:40:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Ditto.    

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=5956&year=2013

I just got an e-mail from Senator Sheldon this evening.  Looks like it's on the green sheet.  Let's just assume it's going to get a vote on the Senate floor and let all of our Senators know how we feel about the bill.

Randy
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Where is this in the House?
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 11:25:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ditto.    

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=5956&year=2013

I just got an e-mail from Senator Sheldon this evening.  Looks like it's on the green sheet.  Let's just assume it's going to get a vote on the Senate floor and let all of our Senators know how we feel about the bill.

Randy
View Quote

Awesome news! Are you aware of which Senators are undecided or against the bill? I'd like to email them first.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

House Bill 1561-2013 is dead dead dead, never to be seen in Olympia again.  Senate Bill 5956 is the bill of concern now.  It is identical to the House bill.  All bills must pass the Senate and the House and it usually does not matter where they originate.  When it passes the Senate it goes through the same process in the House.

Quoted:Awesome news! Are you aware of which Senators are undecided or against the bill? I'd like to email them first.

Well, considering that every Senator present voted for the Silencer bill back in 2011, chances are that most of them will be okay with the SBR bill also.  Even Kline has gone on record as supporting (sort of anyway) the bill.  Roach changed her mind too.  

Randy
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Blake confirmed it went out of rules and Sheldon did pull it for us.  

Nice work folks!

They do work Monday.  We have until end of day Tuesday to get it out of the senate.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#44]
I spoke with Senator Sheldon this afternoon.  Based on our conversation the SBR bill is likely to get a vote on the floor.  Based on the unanimous pass recommendation from the Law and Justice Committee, I think it will pass a vote on the Senate floor and go to the House.  From there the main obstacle is Representative Jinkins.  She killed HB 1561 but has said that she preferred to see an SBR bill come from the Senate.

If anyone here has not yet written to their Senator or has not received a reply indicating support for the bill, please write.  

We will need people to write to their Representatives next week after SB5956 passes the Senate to encourage them to support the bill.  Not only do we need their vote on the House floor, it would be nice if they were to encourage Representative Jinkins to give the bill a hearing in committee and recommend that it passes.

It would be really nice to have a few dozen people show for the Judiciary Committee hearing; it should happen in about two weeks or so.  I’ll be taking time off from work to go.  Thank you to everyone who has made an effort to make this bill pass.

Randy  
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll be there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#46]
So we need this bill to get voted on on Tuesday (2/18), right?
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 10:51:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If anyone here has not yet written to their Senator or has not received a reply indicating support for the bill, please write.
View Quote

Email sent to Senator Becker.  I also poked at two of my buddies to write as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So we need this bill to get voted on on Tuesday (2/18), right?
View Quote

On Monday or Tuesday.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Emailed my senator (for all the good it will do, as she is not likely to vote in favor).

Much thanks to all who have pushed for this and to all who have taken the time to write letters and emails in support.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Emailed senator Braun.......

Waiting for a response..
Page / 23
Top Top