Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2024 6:42:51 PM EDT
Looking at two choices at my LGS, a Charter Arms pathfinder in black or silver, and a Taurus 942, also in both black and silver.

Price isnt that much different between them, there, but Ive heard good and bad things about Taurus, more bad than good.

Mostly for plinking and target shooting.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:38:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 32ACP] [#1]
I looked hard at the Charter Arms and was in the process of trying to order one when my dad died & left me his S&Ws, so I didn’t buy it.  There’s a “Target” version, or was.  There was an online reviewer, who swore by Charter Arms, but I can’t locate him/his page at the moment.

I’ve never owned a Taurus.  I do shoot with guys who do & have no problems, but I do know guys who did & got rid of them.  That said—my Walther P22 went back twice & was still a POS, and my Colt SP-1, too—only Colt took 18 months to do 2 returns.

My point re: guns can have issues. Of your choices, Charter Arms.  Or, keep an eye out for a used Ruger SP.  S&Ws, too, but they’re pricy used.

ETA: .22 snap caps or the small plastic drywall anchors of the right size protect your cylinder rim area, which can be deformed by dry-firing in all rimfires.  Don’t go nuts, but it’s an option to protect any rimfire that’s better than empty rimfire cases.  I don’t know if the color & sizes are standard for drywall anchors, but mine are mostly yellow, a few blue.

The sights on the Charter Arms were stainless, so I planned to sight black paint them.

https://www.gunreviews.io/posts/charter-arms-target-pathfinder

Found it:

https://www.gunblast.com/Charter-PathfinderAS.htm

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:01:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#2]
I bought my son a blued Taurus model 94 22 LR nine shot revolver and we lost the rear sight.  Taurus replacement sight assembly was $45.  I was able to find a Ruger rear sight blade to fix the Taurus for under $10.  I bought a used model 94 stainless steel revolver.  The cylinder wasn’t machined square and it had failure to fire on Double action.  I had FFL send it to Taurus.   Taurus replaced the cylinder under warranty but didn’t acknowledge on returned invoice.   Taurus no longer supports the model 94.  Taurus routinely discontinue models and it takes forever to get a replacement gun.  I’m not sure if Taurus still has the life time warranty.

The model 94 and 942 are nice size.  My Taurus model 94 is close in size to a J frame S&W and I think the 942 is very similar to the model 94.   I have no first hand experience with the Charter Arms Pathfinder but I say they are comparable.   I’d probably buy the one which fit my hand best.   I have a S&W model 18 K frame 22 LR 4” barrel I really like.

Another revolver in same general size as the Taurus or Charter Arms is the Ruger LCRx 22 LR.   I’d probably trust Ruger over Taurus or Charter Arms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top